Epson 3010 to 5010? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-05-2013, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
DS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had a 3010 for about a year and a half. Using it with 120 screen, grey, 0.8 gain. It is in my living room with all white walls and I only watch it at night. Pretty happy with projector except for the iris.

The iris is pretty loud, maybe it's normal but it bothers me. Was going to upgrade to 5010 (the refurbished one for $1800) but afraid will have same issue with iris. Don't play games, mostly movies and sports. A bit of 3d. Projector is 2-3 feet above the sitting position, on a wall shelf, about 12.5 ft from screen.

Is 5010 my best choice or maybe sharp or hc5? 2d picture is top choice along with being quiet.

I may also upgrade my pulldown screen to dalite hp 2.4 is I read it does not show waves/wrinkles as much as my current one does.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-05-2013, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Well in your case, mostly movies, a JVC is the best choice and it has NO IRIS at all but still does nicer blacks than the Epson. I think the JVC x35 / RS-46 is what you seek. You could also look at the JVC RS-45, though the RS-45 doesn't have as good of 3D as the RS-46.

The IRIS's on the Epson are somewhat luck of draw, some are louder than others.

Note:
Wall-shelf might be tough for the JVC since it has rear intakes and is such a long projector, so you need at least 6 inches behind it, and it's already a long projector (8 in extra space behind is optimal).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 6 Old 06-06-2013, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter
DS

Thanks coderguy. Unfortunately the couch is against the wall and there is no additional space. I guess I can try the 5010 and see. My 3010 was fine the first year, the iris did not bother me and then a few months ago I noticed it and now it always bothers me. I think it was fine for a year and something happened recently to make it loud. Can the iris do that with time, get louder?
post #4 of 6 Old 06-06-2013, 06:18 AM

Liked: 11
Buy some other brand. I'm a past customer of Epson and will no longer buy their products. Epson refused to fix my projector, instead they just fed me new bulbs. 5 bulbs later and 2 months out of warranty period and they washed their hands of me. This is a well known issue in the last few years. Do a web search and you will see.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-07-2013, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS View Post

Thanks coderguy. Unfortunately the couch is against the wall and there is no additional space. I guess I can try the 5010 and see. My 3010 was fine the first year, the iris did not bother me and then a few months ago I noticed it and now it always bothers me. I think it was fine for a year and something happened recently to make it loud. Can the iris do that with time, get louder?

Sure, they are mechanical, and can wear and might become louder with use. I don't even use the iris on my 6010, but I prefer a bright image anyhow. You may find it's fine without it.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-09-2013, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
DS

From what I have read, the 6010 with iris off is still much better than 3010 with iris on frown.gif

I am now thinking of switching to Sharp XV-Z3000. Lots of good reviews and about the same price as 5010 (when available in that special deal). Also the reviews say the sharp is very quiet.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010e Full Hd 1080p 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector With Integrated Spe , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6010 Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page