Progressive AE100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2002, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well i purchased my AE about a month ago. I was running interlaced component at first, noticing that while the picture was good it lacked shadow detail and resolution. Well i finally got an RP62 and WOW, what a differance! Shadow detail was improved and now i can make out background objects much easier. The picture is rock solid. I was going to get a transcoder but man, i can't imagine the picture getting much better. Maybe i'll try the Hoya filter?
Anyway, anyone in Dallas, TX. Fry's will have more RP62's ($179.99) in a week. I couldn't wait any more so i bought the floor model which they just got. They also carry some PJ's now. Even the PT-AE100 ($2500.00), which right now is out of commision because the bulb blew. They also have MT-7, Cinaza & a couple cannon's. Has to be the worst setup ever though. Lots of ambient light, keystoning, no real screen.
Anyway, if ANYONE has an AE100 with an interlaced player DO go out and purchase a progressive one. It makes a HUGE differance.

Happy viewing,

---neog

---Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2002, 07:33 AM

I Agree. The Progressive picture is rock solid, no flicker, and text and edges especially look crisper. You're getting 60 full frames per second insread of 60 frames of every other line.
Old 06-15-2002, 09:19 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Either use a progressive player with a transcoder and connect to the AE100 via the VGA port, or use an interlaced player with a good line doubler like the iScan and again connect to the AE100's VGA port.

If you are using component cables to connect your progressive DVD player to the AE100, realize that you can improve the picture even more by getting a transcoder to convert the component video to VGA (RGBHV) and use the ae100 VGA port. VGA port is best.
Old 06-15-2002, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Yup, i'll be ordering one next month sometime.

---neog

---Thomas
Old 06-15-2002, 09:10 PM

I just purchased and AE-100 and was wondering whether the VB50 or Iscan is better for the comblination of interlaced dvd, directv, and playstation 2 use. I will probably view 60% DirecTV, 30% DVD, 10% Playstation.

I have done quite a bit of research here and I understand that the VB50 is a scaler and line doubler and the iscan is just a line doubler. However the iscan probably does a better job than the VB50. Assuming I have that correct, with the varying resolutions of the 3 devices I am going to be feeding the AE-100 would the VB50 be better for me because of its scaling capabilities or would the better line doubling of the iscan make it the preferred option.

Has anybody done a side by side comparison of the two? If the VB50 is just as good I wouldn't mind saving the extra few hundred bucks.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Anybody running an AE100 with a RCA 6000P? I got one when I bought my RCA F38310 and was planning on using it with my new AE100 when I order it.
Old 06-16-2002, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiggerv
I just purchased and AE-100 and was wondering whether the VB50 or Iscan is better for the comblination of interlaced dvd, directv, and playstation 2 use. I will probably view 60% DirecTV, 30% DVD, 10% Playstation.

I have done quite a bit of research here and I understand that the VB50 is a scaler and line doubler and the iscan is just a line doubler. However the iscan probably does a better job than the VB50. Assuming I have that correct, with the varying resolutions of the 3 devices I am going to be feeding the AE-100 would the VB50 be better for me because of its scaling capabilities or would the better line doubling of the iscan make it the preferred option.

Has anybody done a side by side comparison of the two? If the VB50 is just as good I wouldn't mind saving the extra few hundred bucks.

Thanks in advance.
I have the VB50 and use it for cable only. I tried running an interlaced dvd through it but I was not very impressed with the picture. My progressive Toshiba dvd player connected through component blows it away. No comparison. I would go with the Iscan. I have never seen one but Li On claims to be getting an excellent picture with one.
Old 06-16-2002, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The iScan does not scale, but for the AE100 this isn't a problem as the iscan runs it at the native resolution. Most any other projector, the VB50 might have a chance but not in this case. For $100, getting an ok deinterlacer with TV tuner isn't bad though.
Old 06-16-2002, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback, I think I will get the VB50 first and see how I like it. I will probably get the iscan down the road.
Old 06-16-2002, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know why the AE100 doesn't support PAL progressive scan?

o AE100->TW100->AE300->HS10->AE500->AX100->TW700->TW3000->TW8000
Old 06-16-2002, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Xander
Does anyone know why the AE100 doesn't support PAL progressive scan?
Incorrect, it DOES support PAL progressive.
Old 06-16-2002, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

>>Incorrect, it DOES support PAL progressive.

Interesting, when I purchased my AE100, I got a Philips prog scan and Pioneer interlaced DVD players on loan. I could not get the Philips prog scan player to work at all (worked fine from normal component output on DVD player but not prog scan component output on DVD player) - the DVD player menus worked, but as soon as you pressed play the screen went blank. The interlaced player worked just fine.

A few days ago I saw a post on this forum where someone else made the statement that it doesn't work with a PAL prog scan player and it all made sense to me... anyway, the other comment must have been wrong and the Philips must have had a problem...?

ps. since my PAL Pioneer interlaced looks quite good on the AE100 - is there a noticable difference in PAL interlaced vs NTSC interlaced to the AE100?

Old 06-17-2002, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 144
FYI, I have a transcoder with a Panasonic RP91 player. The image quality improvement is minor compared to the rp91 via component straight to the AE100.

Either the RP91 is a great player compared to the rp56, my component cables are really good or the North American version of the AE100 is improved over the Jpaanese version because there is no way on God's green earth a person could say the VGA picture kills the component picture like some have said in the past. As I have said, the difference is VERY minor. VERY.

ROB
Old 06-17-2002, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

>>As I have said, the difference is VERY minor. VERY.

That is kind of my opinion as well, although I've thought that it might have to do with the fact that I'm using PAL...

Old 06-17-2002, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rlindo
there is no way on God's green earth a person could say the VGA picture kills the component picture like some have said in the past. As I have said, the difference is VERY minor. VERY.
This is very subjective, but with now over 300 hrs on my unit (on my second, 1st replaced - pixel probs), & having used the AE-100 with S-video, interlaced comp, progressive comp, VGA (Nintaus), & 856x480 HTPC, the difference is astounding.

I've ran Pal & NTSC, spent time comparing different sources (B4 I connected the PC), & found the VGA via Nintaus to be the best by far (notwithstanding it's glitches).

Hooked up the PC, Powerstrip, Mark's digital test pattern.

:eek: WOW :eek:

I will never go back. Nintaus is now gone, HTPC (VGA) in Wide 480 is the canine's conkers :D

If you're happy with prog component, fair play to you, but the concensus is (from the people I know who own this PJ), VGA rules.

Difference is night & day for me.
Old 06-17-2002, 06:08 PM

Count me in the 'Component not THAT far from VGA' camp. I have ~250 hours on my japanese AE100 using a pixel-perfect HTPC setup. Everything was fine and dandy til the friends started complaining that you needed a PhD to play a movie, so I decided to appease them by picking up a Panasonic RP62 to test out. I hooked the RP62 to the AE100 via component and had come to the glum pre-conclusion that I would have to buy a transcoder when, lo and behold, the picture looked great. Not as uber-fantastic as the HTPC, but it could certainly hold a candle to it. If viewsonic comes out with a VB50 that handles component in I would get that, if not I'm gonna skip the transcorder and live on the component wild side for a while.