Any B&M places to demo PJs in San Jose? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-15-2002, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, any of you know of places in the San Jose area that carry a wide selection of HTPC-hooked PJs? Went to Fry's and Best Buy and other Circuit City but they don't cut it :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-16-2002, 11:29 AM

I let my fingers do the walking yesterday through the local yellow pages and only found high end HT shops. Lots of Runco dealers with a few with the Sharp 9000.

I visited LaserLand in Cupertino (DeAnza near 85) yesterday. A really nice shop with low pressure sales.

They have the Sharp 9000 set up at 100". Looks very to me, though I just started this hobby.

They also had a Sharp LCD and a Yamaha DLP setup.

I am very interested in seeing an AE100 or other low end projectors locally.

Paul
post #3 of 7 Old 06-16-2002, 11:39 AM

Ze,

You might want to try Century Stereo in Saratoga where the big AMC theater is. It used to be the Paseo de Saratoga till they tore it down. They have some nice PJ's set up, but most of the guys there think they know much more than they do. One nice thing is that they have a CRT setup in a very nice theater room. The store is well stocked and they have a very good selection of Stereo stuff as well. Just let waht the salesmen say go in one ear and out the other. There is more and better info right here on the forum.

D.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-16-2002, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions so far...

Went by Century Stereo this afternoon. Talk about high-end!! The store's very well designed and the stuff they carry is very nice. For example, their HDTV cabinet to host the TV and the equipment is $12K. After browsing a while, a sales guy approached me.
- Hi what are you looking for?
- Projectors.
- We have them mounted ceilings in the rooms
- Yes, I saw those, they look expensive, do you have something relatively cheaper?
- What's your budget?
- $3-5K
- Don't bother
- What?
- For that price, don't bother. They're not made for video, they're made for PCs
- Well, that's what will drive it
- Go to Fry's
- Already went, they don't have much at all
- We don't have anything here in that price range.

Before I could ask the guy what was his cheapest PJ, he turned around and took off...

Guess he didn't want to waste his time with a geek PC bum like me :)

They have all types of movies and music playing in each demo room (about 8 of them) and each is awesome in its own way. People are not kidding when they're saying that one can spend a lot of money in this thing! I guess every little bit helps...

I'll try and swing by the other places mentioned here.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-16-2002, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Ze,

You might also check out Bay Area Audio on DeAnza just north of Prospect. They are also pretty high end but they might have something cheaper.

Also Magnolia Hi-Fi on Winchester opposite Valley Fair carries Sharp and several lower price LCD projectors.

Audible Difference in Palo Alto does a lot of custom HT work. You might give them a call and see what they carry in your price range. I have watched the Vision 1 there but never looked around to see what else they carried.

I'd try to call HP and see if they have a dealer or distributor around here that carries their new xb31. Thats a pj that even I would like to see for myself.

I had a similar experience with Century. Went in to see what the difference was between the Marantz plasmas and the NEC with their new lower list price. In 15 minutes I never was able to get an answer. Just their BS about how they sold "solutions" not boxes. Too bad as I have been a customer of theirs for over 20 years at the old Bascom store. Their new upscale digs have sure changed their attitude if not their knowledge.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-17-2002, 12:34 AM

Ze,

Do go by LaserLand and check out their rooms. They had the Z9000 running last time I was there and the people are friendly enough. They also have a nice selection of TV's. Century just amazes me. For a shop that sells full, full retail you would think that they would have better personnel.

Every experience with Century has been the same with me. I have tried several times to work with them but they seem not to want to deal with anyone who does not want to spend 25K or more on their rooms. With the big dot com bust in the valley you would think they would change their attitude, then again maybe they don't have to maybe their still very busy.

Whatever.......

David
post #7 of 7 Old 06-17-2002, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Laserland, Century, Magnolia, Bay Area Audio, etc. are all A/V dealers, and you will not find any PC-connected, presentation grade projectors in their stores. Oh by the way, all four will talk down digital projectors and all have 8" or 9" triple CRT projectors in their "high-end" rooms. I have been to all these stores, and many others. In fact, one of these dealers (I won't say who because I know people there) will sell you a NEC LT-150z with a different logo for $8500. Don't judge them harshly, their business is selling turnkey theaters - which here in the Bay Area are most often in the low six figure range, the $25K you mentioned gets you a RPTV and A/V gear sank into your walls with all the wires out of sight. (Or a very nice pair of speakers and vacuum tube stereo amp, in one of those stores.)

Nobody, but nobody, will demo a presentation grade projector connected to a HTPC. It's a Do-It-Yourself proposition. Either make the effort to work with a PC projector dealer (pick a brand first) or find an AVS Forum member who will do a demo for you. I'd offer myself, but I'm going on vacation tomorrow and we have a kitchen remodel pending for the next few weeks after I return. (I just know the wife will be watching chick flicks every night while I'm gone, on VHS probably - she can't stand the HTPC.)

Gary

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page