12 volt trigger? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-14-2013, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Is it necessary to run a 12 volt trigger to most projectors? I would have thought it would sense the signal of HDMI. ??

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

Is it necessary to run a 12 volt trigger to most projectors? I would have thought it would sense the signal of HDMI. ??

It is certainly not "necessary" to run a 12 volt trigger. But "no" most projectors do not sense the HDMI signal and come out of standby.

I suspect I am not alone when I say that I just use my remote to turn it on. smile.gif

Is there more to your question? Figuring out a good way to turn on the projector doesn't seem like that difficult of a problem... I feel like I'm missing what you are really asking.

post #3 of 6 Old 06-14-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterappleby View Post

It is certainly not "necessary" to run a 12 volt trigger. But "no" most projectors do not sense the HDMI signal and come out of standby.

I suspect I am not alone when I say that I just use my remote to turn it on. smile.gif

Is there more to your question? Figuring out a good way to turn on the projector doesn't seem like that difficult of a problem... I feel like I'm missing what you are really asking.

lol... nope you're getting it. I've not yet run my wires. I don't want to use my projector remote. I'd prefer it turns on with the AVR.

There's some language in my AVR instructions that elude to using HDMI as a turn on method for the projector, but I don't understand it.

I'll have to double check with the Pioneer guys and see. I think it would be safe for me to just run a 12 volt trigger though while I have the ceiling open.

FYI- I'll be using my iPad to control the AVR, media player, 99% of the comcast box, and hopefully my blu ray player will have an app as well. The less remotes the better.

My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
post #4 of 6 Old 06-14-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Does your TV turn on with your AVR? Would you expect it to?

Most 12v triggers on projectors are outputs which drop a motorized screen. Many projectors do not have a 12v trigger, some do, some don't, but that trigger, is most often for dropping a screen, not controlling the projector.

Now, HDMI contains CEC which may, or may not, properly turn on your projector... or not... maybe. It isn't reliable, and a projector is far to expensive of a device to leave it up to 'maybe' IMO.

Have you considered a good universal remote control which does everything you need it to do? One touch of a button, like 'watch cable' and your projector turns on and the AVR turns on (to the proper input) and your remote runs the cable box?

This is the generally accepted way of running the show reliably, but I'm not sure what some others may have done besides this.

I DO believe the AE8000 from Panasonic can be configured so the 12v connection can act to turn the projector on/off using an external 12v trigger like your A/V receiver. I have not seen that on other models.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-16-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for your input. I do believe my receiver has the CEC you speak of. And I agree with you..... I don't want something that is not reliable.

I've considered the remote app available for the galaxy tab, but have not looked into it. I've been reading about audio all day everyday so until that part is dialed I'm not going to spend a lot of reading time on anything else.

I plan to use an iPad or Android devise for remote options.

Now..... what direction I plan go is still not known to me. With the iPad I can control my AVR, Cable (99% of it), media boxes, ect .... all with separate apps.

It'd be even nicer to use one app for daily duties and have the separate apps for when accessing menu options the do it all app can't handle.

I will have to look into whether or not my cable box remote has codes for projectors. That is the only remote I want to have close by. The others will be stowed away for those rare times they are needed.

post #6 of 6 Old 06-16-2013, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've got a panasonic AR100u, and it has 2 12v trigger ports. These ports can be configured as inputs or outputs in the menu of the projector. So if you have a newer Panny, then this may be possible, but you're probably taking the long way around..

I did run a 12v trigger from my projector to my screen, and it works a treat. I love turning on the PJ, and having the screen automatically drop down.

There were other options in the 12v trigger menu, such as screen aspect, and orientation settings. I guess if you have one of those fancy variable ratio screens.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page