Help deciding on a new projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-17-2013, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I could really use some advice and direction form the experts here.

I have an old Sony VPL-VW10HT celing mounted in a dedicated Media room which has no ambient light. The projector is approximately 15 feet from the screen, which is a 96" Stewart. The projector is suspended about 7" from the ceiling.

This projector came with the house when I bought it, and, while it is good, it has absolutely no digital input whatsoever.

I feel it may be time for a newer model. I have been attemting to educate myself, and have spend the past month reading reviews, specs, and just about anything I can get my hands on.

I was originally thinking of buying a used VPL-HW40, figuring that not straying too far from the Sony farm would not get me in trouble. Lately I have been reading about the BenQ's and the Optomas...especially the HD25 and the HD25-LV.

But I have concerns that the projector might be TOO bright (is there such a thing???) \

Other topics, such as lens shift, throw distance, native resolution, etc etc, are very hard for a person new to this technology to pick up quickly.

What I do know (for certain) is that I would like to be able to use HDMI at 1080p.

Can anyone provide some guidance on either

a) what I should be looking for in terms of resolution (1920x1080) technology (LCD, LED ????) brightness (is 1000 lumens enough)

I am more afraid of purchasing something that isnt right, as I am about placing myself in the best possible situation for at least the next 10 years.

General advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-20-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
You might look into the Benq 7000 in the range of $1500. With it's lens shift, you can get it placed pretty easily, but you still may need a ND filter on that screen. Pros/cons vs price breakdown here you can look into. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks

Lens shift allows for physical movement of the lens to accommodate the pj to be placed above/below the top of the screen, where a pj with no lens shift, that distance is usually "fixed".
Throw distance is the distance from lens to screen where some pj's are made to work with smaller distances, and normally the further away you can mount the pj, you might get a little better contrast and sharpness.

Native resolution basically is the inherent resolution the panels will display. Most home theater pj's in the $1000 and up range, will be full hd resolution, or 1920x1080 (1080p). There are a few lower cost units in the $700-900 range that are as well, however.

LCD is normally not quite as sharp as a dlp, but usually have more "lens shift", but can be troublesome with not having good convergence. All three panels being perfectly aligned is pretty rare on a 3 lcd pj. If it's within 1/2 pixel difference, that can be considered normal however, and not seen from seating distance. Some less expensive dlp units can be bad for having (RBE), rainbows, when bright lights are in the picture or movie. Their just different display technologies which offer a little different overall image "look".

LED, no bulb to burn out, but most atm are mainly lower level blacks/contrast and less resolution, than bulb pj's.

Hard to say if a pj can be to bright, but ND filters can be used to tone down a pj if it is an issue, with some calc's online offering advice on lumen output needed for certain environments and/or screens. Each affecting how much brightness might be needed, but normally for 3d, brighter is better.

Good luck with finding a pj that will last you a full 10 yrs. 5-6, sure, but 10 may be asking to much.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd25 Hd 3d Home Theater Projector , Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page