Will I regret a $1000 projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Unlike speakers, there's not a place to see projectors in either of these ranges (if there is let me know where I should be looking), making it difficult to see the differences.

So all my looking has been online. I'm trying to determine what my budget should be.

I had looked at the BenQ 1070 but as I've been reading started to look at the BenQ 7000 and Mitsubishi HC7800D (the 7800 can be had for $1100 right now). And then I've looked at another step up to something like the Epson 5020UB and Panasonic PTAE8000U.

The question I have is what sorts of differences am I going to see in this range? Especially as it relates to a dedicated 12x19 room w no light issues.

If it matters my receiver is the Pioneer Elite SC-61 with Klipsch RF-52 speakers.

Under $1000
BenQ1070

Under $1500
BenQ 7000
Mitsubishi HC7800D

$2500 range
Epson 5020UB
Panasonic PTAE8000U

(this is a duplicate post as I'm not sure how much travel the different forums have and I'm trying to get as much input as possible...I'm sorry if that's bad form. If so, please let me know and I won't do it again.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 130
You left out the Sharp XV-Z300000 with a current selling price under $2500 (msrp was $4999 when released)
Old 06-19-2013, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the Acer H6510BD when it was on sale at Newegg for $630.00 and I couldn't be happier. It's a 1080p 2D/3D "light cannon" putting out 3000 lumens but if you want a bright 3D picture....you need something like this.

Now....if you compared the Acer PQ against something costing $2,500.00 would you see nearly a $2,000.00 difference in PQ??? I doubt it.

Would you even see a $300.00 difference in PQ between the Acer and the BenQ 1070? Tough questions and some tough decisions for some. smile.gif
Old 06-19-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

I'm leaning towards the Mitsubishi HC7800D as it's priced at $1100 right now and seems to be a step up.

I'm going to try to find a place to give some projectors a look...not sure if that exists. Fry's only has low end projectors from what I can tell.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:47 AM

Liked: 16
I bought my BenQ W1070 for $899.00 shipped when Newegg was running a deal. I was dead set on getting either the Epson 3020 or the 5020 at the time, but I do not regret my purchase at all.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Stopped at a HT shop today, looked at the Sony HW50ES, wow, such a nice picture. Just a big jump from a $1500 projector.

I wish there was a spot that I could see these in action.

$1100 for the Mitsubishi HC7800D is a great price, but it's from NewEgg so it means there are no returns if I don't like the picture it gives.
I also don't like that it doesn't auto sense 3D.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:37 PM

Liked: 20
mbuck, you're missing a few projectors in your list. For example, in the under $1k range, you should also have an Optoma HD25. Are there specific features you're looking for (or would like to avoid)? Be specific, this matters a lot. What are you trying to achieve in general (i.e. type of content, etc).

Internet Certified Electrical Engineer
"I am just looking for an honest man."
Old 06-19-2013, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

This is my list after reading a lot of reviews, the top pics in the price range from what I've read so far.

I don't want it to look projected, I want it to look like a 100" (maybe 110" I'm still deciding) Hi-Def TV.

I'll watch movies and play Xbox on it.
I'll use 3D occasionally, probably mostly for Xbox as their aren't a lot of great 3D movies.
I'd like it to be easy to use
And quiet.

Of course with the price going up and up, I'm starting to rethink projection and consider the biggest LCD/LED/WHATEVER TV I can find. smile.gif

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuck View Post

This is my list after reading a lot of reviews, the top pics in the price range from what I've read so far.

I don't want it to look projected, I want it to look like a 100" (maybe 110" I'm still deciding) Hi-Def TV.

I'll watch movies and play Xbox on it.
I'll use 3D occasionally, probably mostly for Xbox as their aren't a lot of great 3D movies.
I'd like it to be easy to use
And quiet.

Of course with the price going up and up, I'm starting to rethink projection and consider the biggest LCD/LED/WHATEVER TV I can find. smile.gif

Thanks.

I'm brand new to the projector scene (literally 2-days in). So on the one hand, I can give you my opinion as I had similar expectations to you, on the other hand, being a newbie, you'd probably want to seek opinions of people who've been doing this much longer.

I just posted my review of the W1070. If you want quiet, then strike the W1070 off your list - that's one of the most annoying problems with it for me. Having said that, quiet is relative.

But.... with the lights out in my living room, the image DOES look like an LCD/Plasma (everything except for the black levels). It looks extremely nice, I'm not going to lie... I love it.

Just to give you an idea, prior to this projector I almost bought an 80" LCD TV. Had it not been for the fact that my son threw a toy at our TV and rendered it inoperable, I'd have an 80" in my house. Wife and I decided we'll get a projector as it'll be harder for him to break since the PJ is on the ceiling and screen is rolled up when we aren't able to supervise him. In my opinion, an LCD/Plasma is a better buy for a myriad of reasons, but once you start going 80+ the price can skyrocket too. I am, however, enjoying my 100" tv right now smile.gif

Old 06-20-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Hard to beat the value of the Benq 1070 in it's price range. Will you see a difference between it and a $2500 pj, Most likely, and depending on whats most important to you, will it matter? If you want blacker blacks then it may matter. Lower input lag, maybe not... Strengths/weakness vs price. A good breakdown here if you haven't looked at it by Coderguy. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks

So, determine what you can afford, what is the most important aspect(s) you want, and consider which one would meet your needs for, placement, warranty support and bulb replacement costs, noise levels, etc. The Epson 5010 as last years model can be found refurb for $1700. Still 2 yr warranty, and about the only difference from the $2600 5020 is the iris in 3d mode. Only problem, if you get a bad unit, you have to do the "refurb runaround". AVS here also has an open box for $2k, http://shop.avscience.com/Epson-HC5010-3LCD-3D-Projector-Open-Box_p_350.html and you could ask 'em if it is a good unit?
Old 06-20-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Another thing that I'm looking at is that I'm projecting on a either a 100" or 110" screen, sounds like some of these may actually be too bright for this.

The Benq 1070 is $900, but I'm not a fan having a noisy projector overhead. The 7000 is $1500 but not sure about the noise the Mitsubishi is $1100 and the Optima HD25 and HD33 gets good marks too.

I did look at the Sony hw50, but even if I had $4000 (and I don't...I was hoping to spend $1000-1500, could jump to $2500 if it made sense) the lag seems to great.

Right now I think I'm between the BenQ 1070 and the Mitsubishi. Though I haven't found anything in the $2500 to really look at closely yet.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

Hard to beat the value of the Benq 1070 in it's price range. Will you see a difference between it and a $2500 pj, Most likely, and depending on whats most important to you, will it matter? If you want blacker blacks then it may matter. Lower input lag, maybe not... Strengths/weakness vs price. A good breakdown here if you haven't looked at it by Coderguy. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks

So, determine what you can afford, what is the most important aspect(s) you want, and consider which one would meet your needs for, placement, warranty support and bulb replacement costs, noise levels, etc. The Epson 5010 as last years model can be found refurb for $1700. Still 2 yr warranty, and about the only difference from the $2600 5020 is the iris in 3d mode. Only problem, if you get a bad unit, you have to do the "refurb runaround". AVS here also has an open box for $2k, http://shop.avscience.com/Epson-HC5010-3LCD-3D-Projector-Open-Box_p_350.html and you could ask 'em if it is a good unit?

I hadn't seen that, I'll check it out for sure.

Where do you find the refurb models? I'm a fan of refurb, usually gets a closer inspection than brand new...at least for computers.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Some manufacturers offer refurbs right off their sites, Epson for one. They can also be found on ebay at times, but you need to make sure their being offered with warranty. There have been issues at times with Epson's refurbs not being very good, and causing people to have to send units back several times to get a good pj. So don't count on a refurb as being "better than new". The 5010 I mentioned is being sold from Visualapex, and I did see at least one post of a user getting a bad unit.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Old 06-23-2013, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I can add this: have had the opportunity to check out a Benq W1070 and Epson 5020 in the same light controller theatre at my dealer. Projectors were side by side and was a good test for me because I could not decide if I wanted the Epson or the Benq for the price difference. So had the option to view a lot of 2D and 3D content, side by side and by putting carboard in front of each lens I could easily switch between both. Blacks were better, contrast too but I did not find the difference worth the money. The Epson was a lot quieter in 2D mode but even louder in 3D than the Benq. 3D on the Benq is better, no question about that (but I do not notice rainbows).

The only thing I dislike about my Benq is the difference in brightness between the middle of the (lower half) of the image and the right side which is a lot dimmer. This is very visible with subtitles, less so with normal movies or games but it's there. I suppose the reason for this is the Benq using a lot cheaper glass for the lens (the Epson is huge in this regard). But do I want to pay +2000 more to make this go away? No. Not at this time.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

After seeing a few projectors in action and reading up, I don't see the need for $3000 projector. At least for me.

I've narrowed my field to:

Mitsubishi HC7800D $1149
Epson 8350 $1259 (refurb avail for $899)
BenQ W7000 $1500
Panasonic AE8000 $2388 with 2 glasses

There were a number of others that got knocked off the list either for throw (I'm looking at 110" at 18') or lag (some had 80+ ms, especially the Epson)

Of course the hardest part is I can't see ANY of these in action. Everyone has their $5000+ projectors on display.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Well...saw the Sony 50es today, wow, great picture...but honestly so were the Epson projectors that I've seen (though Epson's lag is too great for gaming).
Old 06-26-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post

I can add this: have had the opportunity to check out a Benq W1070 and Epson 5020 in the same light controller theatre at my dealer. Projectors were side by side and was a good test for me because I could not decide if I wanted the Epson or the Benq for the price difference. So had the option to view a lot of 2D and 3D content, side by side and by putting carboard in front of each lens I could easily switch between both. Blacks were better, contrast too but I did not find the difference worth the money. The Epson was a lot quieter in 2D mode but even louder in 3D than the Benq. 3D on the Benq is better, no question about that (but I do not notice rainbows).

The only thing I dislike about my Benq is the difference in brightness between the middle of the (lower half) of the image and the right side which is a lot dimmer. This is very visible with subtitles, less so with normal movies or games but it's there. I suppose the reason for this is the Benq using a lot cheaper glass for the lens (the Epson is huge in this regard). But do I want to pay +2000 more to make this go away? No. Not at this time.

Excellent, thanks for posting your opinion. I was seriously considering the 5010 as an alternative to the W1070, but after reading your review (and others), even that "great refurbished deal" isn't really worth it. Although I do like a lot of the features that it has. Not willing to invest in it without being able to try it in person. The BenQ is ridiculously nice, for those who aren't as noise sensitive or if it can be placed further from the seating. At least it's not an annoying noise like I heard with the Epson.
Quote:

After seeing a few projectors in action and reading up, I don't see the need for $3000 projector. At least for me.

I've narrowed my field to:

Mitsubishi HC7800D $1149
Epson 8350 $1259 (refurb avail for $899)
BenQ W7000 $1500
Panasonic AE8000 $2388 with 2 glasses

There were a number of others that got knocked off the list either for throw (I'm looking at 110" at 18') or lag (some had 80+ ms, especially the Epson)

Of course the hardest part is I can't see ANY of these in action. Everyone has their $5000+ projectors on display.

You're going to hate me, but being that I'm "still shopping" for that perfect PJ.... I'll tell you why I removed the ones you mentioned from my list:
- Mitsubishi HC7800D: pretty dim (see measurements)
- Epson 8350: Read too many owners having problems and especially the premature light failures
- BenQ W7000: This is actually an interesting option and has some features to justify the higher price (none of which I care about that much), however lamp is 300w (400w total draw) and even in Eco mode the lamp is rated for 2500 hours - again, all of this just increases cost. Rated 2dB quieter than W1070, but never heard it in person
- Panasonic AE8000: I just can't justify 2.5x the price just to lose some noise, so I didn't even research it much

Just thinking out loud here, but one thing I considered is going with the 1080ST, since that would put the PJ about 5ft further away from my head, which decreases noise considerably (certainly more than the 2dB decrease from getting a W7000).... hmm... decisions decisions smile.gif

Curious what you'll end up going with and your thoughts. No matter which PJ I look at I see problems (or a large increase in price) so I'm starting to come to a realization that I'd rather deal with a little bit of noise than all the other stuff out there. For reference, my wife and friends aren't bothered by it one bit, I'm the only one whom it seems to bother... GRRRR.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

The noise is an issue, I think. It's so hard because I haven't seen any of those models setup. I did see an older Epson and didn't notice any noise. Epsons get knocked off because of lag...though again haven't been able to test it. I've heard the BenQs are noisy though, but again haven't seen it setup! Ahhh! Not sure why Fry's, Magnolia doesn't capture that market.

Right now the Sony is looking good, especially when you take into consideration that it comes with 2 pairs of glasses and a lamp, both lower the overall cost. I've heard of problems with 3D gaming but no specifics and it is 3x the price of the BenQ, Mitsubishi, etc. It is interesting that the only downside for the Mitsubishi was that it was dim; I'm in a very light controlled room so maybe not as big of an issue.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

The Sony is a "does everything good" pj, and would be a nice choice. As to the epson gaming lag, I understand the new 5020's aren't that bad, essentially if your a fps gamer, you might notice it. The 8350 is actually pretty good in the lag dept, but as another mentioned, their kinda hard to recommend lately due to bulb issues. Here is a lag chart if you didn't see it. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1377652/input-lag-a-scientific-experiment-epson-8350-3010-5010-more and, a nice review on the Sony 50es, a JVC, and Epson 5020 if you care to take a look. http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/we-three-projectors
Old 06-26-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I hadn't seen that.

Hadn't heard about the 8350 having bulb issues, that's too bad.

The Sony does look great, but 3x the price is a tough on to swallow. Really really wish I could get my eyes on the BenQ, Mitsubishi, and some of the other $1500 range projectors.

Oh, and FPS is about all I play.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

This 3 year old article says Epson will replace bulbs that die prematurely: http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_news.cfm?2010-10-20-Epsons-Remarkable-Lamp-Guarantee&entry_id=354
Old 06-26-2013, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, and some of the time, they may even break the "within warranty" rule, if it's not to far past the expiration.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I hadn't seen that, I'll check it out for sure.

Where do you find the refurb models? I'm a fan of refurb, usually gets a closer inspection than brand new...at least for computers.

Usually, but the last one I bought, a refurb Dell from Sears, came DOA.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

It looks like I've narrowed the field to:

BenQ W7000
Panasonic AE8000
Mitsubishi 7800D
SONY HW50ES

I had also considered a dual setup with Epson 8350 as the gaming machine and a DLP for movies, but I can do the Sony for nearly the same amount.

I'm going to hunt around to see if there's anywhere to see any of these (other than the Sony that I have seen), but not a lot of options for seeing demos.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 07-02-2013, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah View Post

My dealer has one of these models at a good price http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?projdlpa&1377835733&&&/Mitsubishi-Hc8000-3d-Dealer-De

Here in Georgia? Think I've settled on the Sony HW50es, but I might take one more look...
Old 07-02-2013, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Old 07-02-2013, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

spend the extra $$ on the HW50 vs. the HC8000.

Coming from you that's gold. Sticking with the Sony. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:37 PM

Agreed, get the Sony if you can swing it. I've researched for months and that thing is the best PJ under $4k and does everything the cheaper ones do poorly at a much better clip. Your wife might be pissed at the higher cost but you'll love the buttery smooth picture and almost non-existent input lag.

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Mitsubishi Hc7800d Projector Full Hd 3d Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp , Acer H6510bd Dlp 3d Projector
Gear in this thread