HDMI Splitter? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i am about to order the BENQ W1070...... but since i have 5 HDMI devices that are going to be connected i dont really want to climb on a latter to switch the soucre sine i will be alot, so if i got a 4 port hdmi splitter and plugged my devices in and pluged the splitter into the projector would it work? thanks also any reviews/things i should know aboyt the w10780 LET ME KNOW, THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Do you have A TV as well? You may want to look at an HDMI Matrix Switch rather than a simple non powered switch .. If you have not other display device then a standard switch is all you need.. just remember long HDMI runs can be a big problem...
post #3 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 07:47 PM

Liked: 10
Sometimes you just never know if a splitter will work which is why I suggest being ready to get a matrix (sometimes they don't work either by the way), but try a passive first. Even the cheap ones off ebay may do the trick sometimes. I use one with my old HD65 and it works with everything except my PS3 go-figure.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Murphy View Post

So i am about to order the BENQ W1070...... but since i have 5 HDMI devices that are going to be connected i dont really want to climb on a latter to switch the soucre sine i will be alot, so if i got a 4 port hdmi splitter and plugged my devices in and pluged the splitter into the projector would it work? thanks also any reviews/things i should know aboyt the w10780 LET ME KNOW, THANKS
You don't want a splitter. Direction of flow is SOURCES TO DISPLAYS - So, you have multiple sources like cable, dish, game 1, game 2, appletv, etc. Those sources are things you want to SWITCH to the display.

A splitter is the opposite - one source to multiple displays. For example, you have a bar TV and billiards TV, and a projection TV, you want them all to display the exact same thing. So, you take your cable box, and you run that into a splitter then it sends the SAME signal to all 3 displays.

So, with five sources you need a 5x1 switcher.

This one may work...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=8463&seq=1&format=2

A typical home theater A/V receiver is far more common and many come with 5 or more HDMI connections on them.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 10:27 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Murphy View Post

Sounds like you need a receiver, not just for the switching, but also for the better audio. I'm actually surprised at how good the audio is on the W1070, it's about the same quality as a decent flat panel TV. However, it's a little weird when the audio comes from the projector rather than the screen. I wouldn't recommend using it.

As far as switches go, though, my receiver only has a single HDMI out and I wanted to feed HDMI to my TV and projector. I used this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UYOEMI/ and it works very well. It automatically sends the signal to both displays at the same time.

Hope that helps...

Internet Certified Electrical Engineer
"I am just looking for an honest man."
post #6 of 7 Old 06-20-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
As AV_Integrated mentioned, sounds like a switch is needed. I use the 3x1 version of the one he mentioned and have no problems with it, on a 30' run of cable. It will "auto detect" the active source, and switch to it, making it easy to use. I did however have to put some electrical tape over the unit's led, as it was way to bright.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-20-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 934
how do you have a projector and no receiver?

but yeah, a splitter won't do you any good. you need a switcher

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page