Your diagnosis? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-19-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, first time here. I am finally getting around to some seriousness with my projector. It's an old one, but a goodie. It has 3 LCD panels with reflectors.

Take a look at the attached image. It's the power on/off OSD instruction. There is no active video source, but the input is on the DVI channel. I've also run the service mode test screens without any active video source with the same results.

From my understanding, this is a problem with convergence.

What is the resolution for this?

I have found the service manual and read up on adjusting the R, G, and B reflectors... is this the correct and only path to fix this? I assume this is purely a mechanical adjustment to get convergence corrected.

Last question... if I got a projector and it performed like this out of the box, is this a case for sending it back immediately, or is the correction technique something the consumer is capable of?

Thanks for your diagnosis... I hope I am correct, although my first wish is that my projector didn't have this problem.

PK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-19-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

I may have posted this in the wrong sub-forum.... apologies for that. I am requesting this be moved to the most appropriate discussion board, if there are any trigger-happy admins reading. Thanks!
post #3 of 12 Old 06-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Is there some reason you aren't giving anyone the brand name and model of the projector?
post #4 of 12 Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for replying anyway

I was hoping this didn't matter, or, better yet, that by doing so I might not get zero replies.... because it's really old bait.

it's a panny ptl500u

ok, laugh now... yes, my post should have been made 10 years ago, but i've been busy with other things.

back to the questions now, or is it crickets I hear?
post #5 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooooons View Post

thanks for replying anyway

I was hoping this didn't matter, or, better yet, that by doing so I might not get zero replies.... because it's really old bait.

it's a panny ptl500u

ok, laugh now... yes, my post should have been made 10 years ago, but i've been busy with other things.

back to the questions now, or is it crickets I hear?

Convergence adjustments on the Panasonic LCD projectors can be difficult and if the 500 is anything like the 900 I own (and decommissioned) it requires a service kit - which is almost impossible to find. It's something that owners generally don't delve into and is best left to the repair center. Is it worth the expense?

The 500 was a nice little projector in its day but it's probably time to move to something newer.
Tooooons likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #6 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying....

$200 for the kit or $2000 for a new projector. I think it's worth the expense, or at least worth the try. If I screw up the projector.... then, there's a big reason to get a new one! I'd just like to see all the potential realized in this little projector. A $200 experiment to try isn't too bad, in my opinion.

So this is a convergence issue. The point of my post is to confirm that the service kit and fiddling with reflector adjustment is what will actually make the difference. I would hate to get the kit, fine tune, see no change, post to avsforum, and then read that it was actually some other component, like a software adjustment!
post #7 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
2000?

The little lg LEDs that were going for 349.99 will destroy it.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

The little lg LEDs that were going for 349.99 will destroy it.

What???? This information makes my brain explode. lg LEDs?? Is this a orphaned reply from another thread?
post #9 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooooons View Post

Thanks for replying....

$200 for the kit or $2000 for a new projector. I think it's worth the expense, or at least worth the try. If I screw up the projector.... then, there's a big reason to get a new one! I'd just like to see all the potential realized in this little projector. A $200 experiment to try isn't too bad, in my opinion.

So this is a convergence issue. The point of my post is to confirm that the service kit and fiddling with reflector adjustment is what will actually make the difference. I would hate to get the kit, fine tune, see no change, post to avsforum, and then read that it was actually some other component, like a software adjustment!

Yes it's a convergence issue. Several years ago there was some discussion on the merits of trying to correct the mis-convergence on the 700 and 900 models. Some times the LCD projectors arrived out of convergence or they drifted out of convergence as the projector aged. I seem to remember something about the LCD panels being glued in place so that the fix involved breaking the bond in addition to getting the service kit, aligning them and then re-bonding them.

My 900 was about 1 pixel out of convergence and I had briefly considered getting the kit and trying to correct the problem but decided I could live with it.

FWIW - Verge2 is referring to the inexpensive LED projectors sold by LG.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #10 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, I see. I will likely never buy a $349 projector and expect anything good from it!

I found old discussions about prying off LCD panels, but yes, it was for the 700 and 900 models.

What I need to discern is whether or not convergence can be fixed by adjusting the RGB reflectors, which are simple sliders held in place by screws. But you can't get to any of this and have the unit on without the cable extension kit!

The service manual for the 500 makes no mention of prying off LCD panels to make adjustments.

My gut tells me the RGB reflectors will fix the problem, however, how accurately would be the big issue. You'd think if Panasonic can't get it any closer, why would I be able to? Maybe because I would spend time on it, whereas the factory might have had a 2 minute time frame to get convergence to keep the assembly line going...

Thanks for your reply Mr G!
post #11 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Well one pixel out of a half inch panel is microscopic. Not going to be easy.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-20-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

I agree, but I am convinced this is way more than one pixel off convergence. In the pic above, you are seeing my shadow on the screen and I am about 1 ft off the screen, so that shadow is close to life size, if not slightly bigger. That would make the convergence problem somewhere in the 1/4 to 1/2" in size on the screen, which is a 110" diagonal. I have no idea how many pixels the lines are off... probably because I can't count pixels due to Panny's "smoothscreen" technology (which made this projector image so awesome 10 years ago... got rid of the pixels!).

Curious though... is there a calculator that can give me pixel size on screen if I know screen size, PJ distance and native chip size? I didn't really want to go here. Too brainy, and does it matter? If I would guess, I would say the maximum offest is probably 25 to 30 pixels on the horizontal. Would that still be microscopic... eh.

Let me go see if I can find the service kit.... unless someone here wants to tell me there's an easier way to correct convergence, if any!!!

Thanks guys...

PK
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page