Time for new projector.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-20-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well we have had our Optoma HD70 finally die. I killed it on accident. But the rainbow effect had come back causing me to react without thinking. I have already had to replace the bulb once and luckily that was under warranty. Then this happened so now we are PJ looking. The wife wants a tv. I like a large pj and we have a 92" screen to use. What is a good pj for us coming from a HD70? I would like to be able to watch a movie or tv with a light on or be able to watch tv in the daylight and the HD70 did not allow this. I know things have changed ALOT on PJ's in the last 5 years. Any advice is helpful. We are trying to stay under $1800 if possible other wise I can get a 70" LED for $1700.

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-20-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Well if you want to watch in the day time I would suggest the TV as the laws of physics have not changed..
post #3 of 5 Old 06-20-2013, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Some of the brighter pj's, Epson 5020, Benq 1070 have alot of light output. I watch normal broadcast tv quite a bit with ambient light in the room. Usually with a 60w bulb on about 15' from the screen. But as airscape said, daytime light bleeding onto the screen will really hurt the image, washing it out to some degree depending on the amount and the screen. Some screens are made to counter act it more than others. As an owner, your most likely aware, of just how much light will get on to the area of the screen, in your setup, and maybe if a couple hundred more lumens will be beneficial?

One of the best "ambient light" setups I've seen, by Mississippiman looks great. Check it out. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1470680/theater-bar-game-room-design-considerations-ambient-light-and-projector-specs#post_23262624

The Benq 7000 might be an option at around $1500, or even it's cheaper sibling, Benq 1070 at around $900. Several lower cost pj's will be pretty good compared to your 7 year old unit in terms of features and image quality. You just need to pick one that ticks most of the boxes.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks is a good guide to price/strengths that was written up by Coderguy. It's a good starting place. BUT, keep the wife happy, maybe tell her the kids will love the 3d.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-21-2013, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone. I was looking into the Optoma HD25 but I am not sure if it is bright enough?
post #5 of 5 Old 06-21-2013, 02:16 PM

The brightness appears to be more "apparent" than the numbers seem to indicate. At least to me when I see them at the showing rooms. Here http://thecreativealternative.com/best-home-theater-projector/ they show the HD25 and the BenQ W1070, and the BenQ with less contrast ratio stated looks pretty good to me. I'd go for it if I had the cash to upgrade my old HD65
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd70 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Optoma Hd25 Hd 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page