Ceiling mount issue (experience requested) - AVS Forum
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > Ceiling mount issue (experience requested)
jp86's Avatar jp86 09:16 PM 06-24-2013
We are getting ready to dry wall in the house that we are building. I have the basement wired for a 7.1 surround system and have run a conduit from below the screen up the wall, through the ceiling to where we will mount the projector. I thought I had decided on the BenQ w1070 (lately been entertaining the Optoma HD25 as well...can't decide), but now am wondering if my ceiling configuration will allow for that or if I maybe need to go with the w1080ST. The reason I am having trouble is that we have a soffit for the duct work that drops the ceiling height down to 7' 4" where the projector needs to be mounted. However, by the time you get to the wall where the screen will be mounted, the ceiling height goes back up to 8' 2". I am clueless as to whether or not this will have an impact on anything in terms of what the calculator on the BenQ website is telling me. There are pictures of the room below to help you out. Room size is 14' x 23' with a viewing distance of about 11-12'.

I would like my screen to be 2.5" above the floor. According to the calculator on the BenQ website, I would need to mount as follows:

I don't know if switching to the 1080ST would help, but here is the calculator for this projector:

And here are some pics of the room so you can better visualize what I'm talking about:

I am assuming I need a ceiling mount that will keep the projector as close as possible to the ceiling as to achieve having the screen 2.5 feet off the ground it is recommending mounting the projector 4" from the ceiling. Is this correct and any recommendations? Is it even possible to mount it that close to the ceiling? Will the slight vertical lens shift help here if I have to mount it say 6" from the ceiling?

On the calculator it shows the distance from top of screen to ceiling to be 6", but since this is past the soffit, obviously it will be 1' 6" since we gain another foot of ceiling clearance once we are past the soffit.

Thanks for taking the time to read this to help a newbie out!

///3oris's Avatar ///3oris 10:03 PM 06-24-2013
If the bottom of the screen is 30" from the ground and the screen is 52" high, that means the top of your screen will be 82" from the ground. However, your soffit is 88" from the ground. Even if you put it on a ~3-4" mount, the lens will be roughly 82" from the ground. So worst case is you'll have to angle the projector up JUST slightly and you can correct for it with keystone. What's the problem?
jp86's Avatar jp86 10:11 PM 06-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3oris View Post

If the bottom of the screen is 30" from the ground and the screen is 52" high, that means the top of your screen will be 82" from the ground. However, your soffit is 88" from the ground. Even if you put it on a ~3-4" mount, the lens will be roughly 82" from the ground. So worst case is you'll have to angle the projector up JUST slightly and you can correct for it with keystone. What's the problem?

That's what I was thinking, but since I've never mounted one of these before, I wanted to verify that I was thinking correctly. I didn't know if that calculator took into account real life or if it was just throwing numbers out there with no correlation to the capabilities of the projector. I really appreciate the response!
Up
Mobile  Desktop