Plasma v Projector? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 06-25-2013, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

Need some advice one a new cinema system.

I was origionally planning on getting the LG 60PH660V (899) + TV desk (99) + 2 x glasses (50).

However having looked into projectors abit more ive found out that i could get a similar PQ (which i thought was impossible before) With the massive 80"+ size.

So i was wondering what you guys think?

LG 60PH660V (£1050)

or

Optoma hd131x

or

Optoma HD33

or

BenQ W1070

Also how much am i looking to pay for surround sound (or is the projector good with sound?)

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-25-2013, 02:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
One important reason I go to the projector is big TVs are so damn big and heavy, and flimsy. With such a large and thin glass you can't afford to tilt it when moving, and it is always a 2 man job. Now I'm relieved as PJs weigh only a few kgs and the image size is only dependent on your room size.
lilreckz likes this.
post #3 of 20 Old 06-25-2013, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

True, do you know if there are any screens that block out the sun ? for example i can put it up against a window and roll it down when i watch a film and it would act as a curtain?
post #4 of 20 Old 06-25-2013, 07:49 AM

Liked: 21
You really have to compare like for like. Will you be projecting onto a 60" screen? Doubtful.... so compare to the TV closest to the size of the PJ (that will change your $$ formula)

TV's have far fewer compromises for most people. You didn't mention the projected screen size, your intended use and most importantly content you're planning to watch and how much light control you have in the room.

Internet Certified Electrical Engineer
"I am just looking for an honest man."
post #5 of 20 Old 06-25-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Sorry i totally forgot about those things.

Tbh the maximum i could even go to is 120" (3 metres) so probably around 100" will do. I was actually planning on using it for main TV use like TV films gaming ect i understand about bulb life but with my calculation i should get 2-3 years with one lamp. Also i have 2 windows but with the curtains drawn can easily get it to almost pitch black.
post #6 of 20 Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilreckz View Post

Hi,

Sorry i totally forgot about those things.

Tbh the maximum i could even go to is 120" (3 metres) so probably around 100" will do. I was actually planning on using it for main TV use like TV films gaming ect i understand about bulb life but with my calculation i should get 2-3 years with one lamp. Also i have 2 windows but with the curtains drawn can easily get it to almost pitch black.

You should probably be fine in that case....

I wouldn't 100% rely on manufacturer claims about bulb life... figure on the fact that you may have to replace it sooner and factor that into your $$ equation.

post #7 of 20 Old 06-25-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3oris View Post

You should probably be fine in that case....

I wouldn't 100% rely on manufacturer claims about bulb life... figure on the fact that you may have to replace it sooner and factor that into your $$ equation.

Okay cheers, any idea how much the bulbs are for the BenQ and the Optoma's?
post #8 of 20 Old 06-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
If you can hold off and wait a few more weeks you can get higher lumens LED projectors even though the resolution of those are 720 P.
Plasma vs Projector ?
Well if you can get a projector with a higher lumens and can control the light in your room I would go with a projector because it's a bigger picture.
Picture quality of some projectors can match a plasma but not in the inky blacks the plasmas can produce unless you can get a projector with good blacks.
post #9 of 20 Old 06-25-2013, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

True, do you know if there are any screens that block out the sun ? for example i can put it up against a window and roll it down when i watch a film and it would act as a curtain?

I think all (?) motorised or manual pull down screen block 100% light if they have a thick back layer. But will it degrade from UV? No idea. They are not designed for this application.

Also, there are many solutions to the window block. The easiest option is roller blinds. The material can block 100% light, and can be rolled up or down. It may still leak a bit of light on the window edge, but for W1070 this is not a problem for me. Plus, you can always install another layer of dark cloth curtain on top of the blinds to get a complete block.
post #10 of 20 Old 06-25-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

If you can hold off and wait a few more weeks you can get higher lumens LED projectors even though the resolution of those are 720 P.
Plasma vs Projector ?
Well if you can get a projector with a higher lumens and can control the light in your room I would go with a projector because it's a bigger picture.
Picture quality of some projectors can match a plasma but not in the inky blacks the plasmas can produce unless you can get a projector with good blacks.

the blacks and shadow detail on my jvc x35 are visually identical to the blacks on my Samsung f8500(basically second best blacks on the market to the 2013 Panasonics). it's hard to do any side by side because the plasma is much brighter, but I've watch dark knight on both and it was spectacular. I couldn't pick a winner. of course, this is with all the lights off and no outside light coming in. the plasma holds its black 1000x better as the lights come on.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #11 of 20 Old 06-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
There is some fabric that's called blackout cloth there people use here on AVS fourms as cheap screens that do just that, block out light.
This material is used and put on curtains to block out sun light.
Can get it at Joann Fabrics
post #12 of 20 Old 06-26-2013, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

So the BenQ is a better option then the optoma's in general? (inc HD25)

Any idea on best deals around ive only seen 699.
post #13 of 20 Old 06-26-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:

$699 for which PJ??

post #14 of 20 Old 06-26-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:

I think the only "feature" that the benq doesn't do, that the optoma has, is it's "super wide" format option.
post #15 of 20 Old 06-27-2013, 12:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Light control + ok with mediocre blacks + Throw a 70''+ picture = PJ. (Of course you better get closer to 100'' ya dig!)biggrin.gif

post #16 of 20 Old 06-27-2013, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3oris View Post

$699 for which PJ??

£
post #17 of 20 Old 06-27-2013, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post

Light control + ok with mediocre blacks + Throw a 70''+ picture = PJ. (Of course you better get closer to 100'' ya dig!)biggrin.gif

How would it do with a 120"?
post #18 of 20 Old 06-27-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 456
The BenQ is designed as a living room projector, not a theater projector. That's not to say it doesn't perform well in the theater, but it lacks the black level details which the better models offer, such as the JVC RS series. On the flip side, it delivers more lumens which can help it combat ambient light and perform amazingly well with 3D content. Plus, for the money, it's pretty much the go to projector right now on the entry level side.

You have to truly consider your space.

How far will you be sitting from the screen?
Where do you like sitting in the cinema?
Is this a permanent installation?
Do you require a roll up screen or can you use a fixed frame screen?
What are your expectations consider that you were looking at a low-end LG as an alternative?

Front projection delivers something which flat panels can't do... It gives you home theater. People often buy a home theater in a box and a big TV and call it a 'home theater' setup, but it is very far from the truth. They sit in front of their 60" or 70" displays and the reality remains that when they go to a movie theater it is absolutely a different experience then what they have at home, and they know it. But, when you sit in front of a 100" or 120" image you are immersed in a way that only the movie theater is otherwise able to deliver.

That has some added value IMO - it creates a very special environment at home that most people don't have.

As such, there are a few more costs, such as good audio, and proper light control, which should be considered as long term investments into the system. But, those types of upgrades in a rental are often not worth the price to do right, so you may want to look for lesser expensive options if that's the case. If you own - do it right.
lilreckz likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #19 of 20 Old 06-27-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, i was planning on using it for a bedroom turned theatre room.

Its about 5m x 3.5m x 3.5m so ive heard the benq would be good for a 3.5m throw? It will be my first set up, which if all goes well i know i will upgrade in the near future but i will play it safe this time.

Got about £1200 for everything which was why i was origionally planning on the LG as a all in one. But now ive got started on PJs i really want one just for the large screen and wow factor.

smile.gif
post #20 of 20 Old 06-29-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

I went for the optoma hd25 in the end..... best thing ive ever done.... 140" of pure glory in my room. Thanks for the advice!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Hd131x Dlp Projektor 3d , Optoma Hd33 1080p 3d Projector , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - Hd131x by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page