LG PB63U - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-28-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LG PB63U

I am building a patio "Movie night" only setup where I am going to stretch some black out screen material between two patio posts 10' apart and roughly 8' high.

I originally wanted something bigger but saw this thing on Newegg.com on sale for $495 which goes to 100"

Anyone heard of this at all and would it work for my movie night scenario on the patio outside?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Seems like 500 lumens on 100" outside is going to be problematic, even at night. Might work if you're isolated enough and have very little light pollution... But there are options that might work better in very similar price range. With that particular model, you're paying a premium for the LED bulb. Which is nice, you never have to replace a bulb... but with traditional bulbs going into the 5000-6000 hour ranges now, I don't know that the additional expense is justified. If you're open to alternatives, the acer H5370BD is 2500 lumens and that's at 5,000 hours bulb like (6,000 hours in eco, which still has 2,000 lumens).
Going to take more than that to make the screen watchable in outside daylight, of course, but that kind of output will make it look good at night, where 500 might struggle a bit.

On the other hand, if you really want the added long term reliability of the LED bulb, this LG looks like a pretty good option (though I've not seen reviews for that specific model).
post #3 of 9 Old 06-28-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 123
500 lumen is not much .. I would look for something a lot brighter using blackout cloth which can have an effective gain of .8. Something over 1600 lumen at the very least since you won't have complete darkness outside like you do in a dedicated theater.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-28-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiancecp View Post

Seems like 500 lumens on 100" outside is going to be problematic, even at night. Might work if you're isolated enough and have very little light pollution... But there are options that might work better in very similar price range. With that particular model, you're paying a premium for the LED bulb. Which is nice, you never have to replace a bulb... but with traditional bulbs going into the 5000-6000 hour ranges now, I don't know that the additional expense is justified. If you're open to alternatives, the acer 5370BD is 2500 lumens and that's at 5,000 hours bulb like (6,000 hours in eco, which still has 2,000 lumens).
Going to take more than that to make the screen watchable in outside daylight, of course, but that kind of output will make it look good at night, where 500 might struggle a bit.

On the other hand, if you really want the added long term reliability of the LED bulb, this LG looks like a pretty good option (though I've not seen reviews for that specific model).

Awesome, thanks for the reply and link to the Acer. I am fully open to alternatives, I just found that LG at a reasonable price, which is why I looked at it, I doubt I could convince my better half at even spending $500 for this setup, but the Acer is on newegg for 410, so that's pretty nice.

I would probably use it once a week during the nice times of year at night, so the 5000 hours would last me years I'm sure.

My back yard is almost pitch black at night, though that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to start movie nights before its completely dark, maybe at twilight, so brightness is I'm sure a big concern, since it is outdoors.

is 720p a concern with stretching it to 100-150" ? will it be grainy?
post #5 of 9 Old 06-28-2013, 01:11 PM

For those that are interested in this model, it is also on sale @ Frys for $499 this week.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-28-2013, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Well found a review of the Acer H5370BD

HERE

and

HERE

Which both say its a great bang for the buck, but the rainbow is pretty harsh on it. I've never seen a projection display set up with anything going so I have no Idea if I would see it or not. Kind of a drag I would have to pay several hundred more just to be guaranteed not to see it
post #7 of 9 Old 07-23-2013, 03:42 PM

Sorry to bump a somewhat old thread, but I just saw a video about this projector, and how it's not even close to the proposed "500" lumens. I'm not sure if anyone has actually done this in-person but from what it looks like, the LG is nothing close to what it should be.

LG is a big company so I guess usually they get away with stuff like this all the time and nobody says anything.

https://vimeo.com/70890793
post #8 of 9 Old 09-12-2013, 02:21 PM

I went ahead and ordered this projector on Amazon, was $405 shipped. Didn't get much help in my thread about my possibly dying optoma, but based on reviews, I decided to give this LG a try. Will post pics of results when it arrives smile.gif.

So I still need to rig up a mount since I can't hang it from the ceiling (it'd be right above the fan blades and would be in the center of their reach so the blades would chop the video).

Jerry Rigged it right now on the couch, but the picture is phenomenal. I'm running it in full ECO mode to conserve the LED, and I must say, the picture is still crispy clean, much better so than my old Optoma Neo-i.

Here is an example photo, some good ol' Red Dead Redemption at 100" Diag:

post #9 of 9 Old 09-12-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by myers423 View Post

Sorry to bump a somewhat old thread, but I just saw a video about this projector, and how it's not even close to the proposed "500" lumens. I'm not sure if anyone has actually done this in-person but from what it looks like, the LG is nothing close to what it should be.

LG is a big company so I guess usually they get away with stuff like this all the time and nobody says anything.

https://vimeo.com/70890793

Looks like it has an ns filter on it.

Sorry I don't believe vimeo, pretty sure you can find measured lumens for both. That looked like a propoganda piece to me
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Lg Pb63u Dlp Home Theater Projector