Advice for buying new or used? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-28-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi,

I am looking at all the projectors on the market right now and trying to decide as the title states... new or used?

What im looking for

A 1080 full HD projector that can support an anamorphic lens. Environment will have majority of control over lighting with one small basement window that can be blacked out. Screen size I have not settled on yet but im working with a smaller 11foot throwing distance so not anything to crazy. Deep blacks, vivid colors, high refresh rate to support watching sporting events and video games(at least needs to beat an 800$ optima projector). I do not need 3D and would like it to last a minimum of 3 years. I have a maximum 1000$ budget which is why I have been leaning towards used...

I have been looking at Sony VPL 100, 50, and 40. Havent seen much else on the used market in my price range... although with replacement bulbs these are even approaching my limit.

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-28-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
The best of both worlds, manufacture "refurbs", get you in at a little cheaper price, and still get a warranty in most cases. But you still may run into possible problems. In the new $1k range is the Epson 8350, and the Benq 1070. You can get refurb Epsons for around $8-900, which is great if you get a good unit first time around. There is a chance however you won't, and you'll have to return it a time or two. The epson is suppose to support anamorphic, but it doesn't have a power zoom, which you may not find in a $1000 range pj?

That said, if you need a pj that does "lens memory", then you'll have to look else where, maybe a Panasonic AE4000, which you may find used in that price range? The B Stock JVC's you can find used at times as well, but most likely over that price range, or maybe a Sharp z30000, http://www.projectorreviews.com/sharp/xv-z30000/tour.php#anamorphic, but again, might be out of your price range, even used. Forum member, Airscapes has one listed in the, "for sale" area, here.

Who will guarantee any will last 3 yrs? Some higher priced units offer 3 yr warranty....
post #3 of 7 Old 06-29-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 513
sounds like a tall list for only 1000.

when buying used, factor in the cost of a new bulb. you may get lucky, but there's no guarantees on the hours on the bulb in the machine when you get it, or how much longer it'll last.

personally, I don't like the idea of buying a used a projector, definitely not one in the 1000 and under range. figure a 1000 used projector would have cost about 2000 when new. that's not likely a projector built to last a long time. it's likely a projector built to deliver the best performance per dollar, possibly at the cost of reliability. then throw in the fact some owners will consider a 2000 projector disposable, they may not have taken great care of it.

if we were talking 20k projectors being sold for close to 10k used, that's a significant savings on a high end product built to last and probably taken care of by it's owners. less likely somebody's going to abuse a 20k purchase.

don't get me wrong, you've got options for 1000 or less. but I would expect to see large improvements with a small bump in your budget.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-29-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for your suggestions I really appreciate the advice!

Jnabq I will most certainly look for B- stock projectors, are there any places you recommend looking in particular?

fierce_gt yea its a tall order... how much more money do you think I would need to see the large improvements you talk about? Any particular projectors new or used that you think I should look at?

Regarding the sony 100, 50, and 40 are they worth looking at? Im leaning away from the 100 because of bulb replacement costs but the others are definitely affordable.

post #5 of 7 Old 06-29-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweisen View Post

Thank you both for your suggestions I really appreciate the advice!

Jnabq I will most certainly look for B- stock projectors, are there any places you recommend looking in particular?

fierce_gt yea its a tall order... how much more money do you think I would need to see the large improvements you talk about? Any particular projectors new or used that you think I should look at?

Regarding the sony 100, 50, and 40 are they worth looking at? Im leaning away from the 100 because of bulb replacement costs but the others are definitely affordable.

specifically i'm thinking about the 1070 and it's close competition. I think affording yourself at least enough for that projector would be a good starting point.

but if you want to step up even more, look at the suggestions the other posted gave. the 30k, a refurb'd Epson 5010, or used/refurbed jvc could be had for under 2k. I know that's a big step in price short term, but it's not so bad over the course of 3yrs. depends how you look at it I guess.

I really don't know anything specific about the sony's, but sony makes good projectors. so i'd keep them on the list until you hear something that makes you think otherwise.

still, I think if you can handle 1000 PLUS taxes/shipping/etc for the 1070, it'll be a worthwhile upgrade over what you can get for 1000bux all in
post #6 of 7 Old 06-29-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

fierce_gt thank you again I looked at the projectors you mentioned and they look nice especially the 5010. Looks like I may be saving a little longer to afford it though rolleyes.gif

Can anyone comment on the sony projectors I would really appreciate it! -thanks

post #7 of 7 Old 06-30-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
For JVC B stock, call AVS here, 1-877-823-4452, they actually have some b stocks in atm, as well as an open box 5010. http://shop.avscience.com/B-Stock-Closeouts_c_31.html The Sony's are all around good pj's A recent comparison on the newer Sony, Epson and a JVC. http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/we-three-projectors

You did mention sporting events/video games, and generally a dlp will be a little better in those areas, depending on if your a FPS gamer. So you'll have to decide if you need to look into "lag times". I mentioned the Sharp because it does fast motion very well.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page