Is the Japanese Ae-100 risky? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-16-2002, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am thinking about buying the AE-100 from Japan, and I was wondering about its reliability and the chance that I will have problems and have to send it back. Is it a very common for AE-100 users. I really don't want to buy the U.S. version, it is close to the 75U and I would rather have the 3 year warranty. However, the AE-100 is so cheap that it is tempting, since I could then get Iscan and a prog scan DVD player.

On a side note, will the AE-100 be bright enough for viewing when there is some (not really bright) light in the room?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-16-2002, 02:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Read this forum. All your answers have been posted over and over again.

Yes you can get a defective projector and if so you have to send it back.
No one here can tell you your unit will be perfect thats the risk you take.
Your not covered by us warranty.

By reading the forum the odds of getting a defective projector are slim.
Most came through with out any trouble. A few had some problems.

Roll the dice.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-16-2002, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Hello,
I have been doing nothing but reading this forum for the past 3 days. i have read hundreds of threads and done many many searches. When I ask questions, it is because I am not quite sure/unclear/want updated information on the topic. I am not just coming in, posting questions, then leaving and hoping they get answered. Honestly, many of the questions I have posted here in the past few days have not been completely answered, and the replies to go "read the forum" haven't been helpful either because I have searched and searched under many different keywords and still have yet to find threads that contained the answer. For some reason my search results are only going back to April, no threads pop up earlier than that????
post #4 of 9 Old 06-16-2002, 04:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Our server that stored our search information crashed last month. We lost some data when this happened.

I can see it is starting to show up now and then on new searches. Sorry.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-16-2002, 04:34 PM

Your chances of getting a defective Japanese unit is exactly the same as your chance of getting a defective US unit - and the return/repair process is exactly the same - you send it back to the dealer you bought it from. In the former case, you send it back to the Japanese dealer at your cost (shipping both ways). From all the threads I have read, this has happened only a few times, and never has the said Japenese "dealer" refused to fix or replace a defective unit. I think the cost differential of the Japanese versus the US more than makes up for the very rare chance you may have to pay to ship it back to Japan to be replaced/fixed.

As for your other question about light? No, the AE100 does not do well in rooms with any light...it works, and you can see the image fine, but it does dimminish the brightness and enjoyability of the experience.

Good luck with your PJ endeavors!
post #6 of 9 Old 06-17-2002, 11:41 AM

HEY-- Good answer, right to the point. NOT rambling off to some other subject. Great

If at first you succeed, try not to look astonished
post #7 of 9 Old 06-17-2002, 04:17 PM

I agree with akelley. I just got mine a month ago and with 50hours on it no problems so far (knock on wood). Good luck on your decision.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-17-2002, 04:59 PM

Bought my AE100 from Japan 3 weeks ago and haven't had any trouble. The Japanese "dealer" is very prompt and professional. As for ambient light, I have set the projector up in the living room and have two small windows on the wall to the right of the screen. Midday sunlight definitely washes the picture out considerably although it is still watchable (barely). By late afternoon when there is no more direct sunlight the picture is plenty bright.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-17-2002, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much! These answers are exactly what I am looking for. I have pretty much decided on the AE-100, and will probably get it in a week or so.
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page