Am I Crazy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-16-2002, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Am I crazy in thinking of sitting 1.0x of the width on an LCD PJ?

I'm planning on stage two of my HT and getting a large screen (Da-lite HCCV 65"x116") for my Panny 711xu and am planning on sitting 10 feet back. I'm one of those that sits 2 seats back in the theater, so the big screen is important to me.

Currently I'm shooting a 7' image on a grey painted wall using a HMC FL-D filter and sitting about 11' back. I can see a little pixalization. Actually it almost looks like scan lines (horizontal lines).

The first question is if going to a HCCV will help the screen door? Second, is it worth getting a Cygnus IMX lens (anyone try it with a 711?)? Last, what about a panamorph? How much screen door would it give in addition to the 16:9?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-16-2002, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The IMX specifically is a "depixelator" and would definitely reduce the screendoor and pixelization effects. The Panamorph lets you use more of the resolution of your 4:3 panel, so in that regard, you also get less screendoor and pixelation.

If you enjoy sitting that close, more power to you. I have a friend who enjoys sitting in the third row and I hate going to the movies with him! :)
post #3 of 7 Old 06-16-2002, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 18
Carl,

Thx for input. Any feel for how much the screen door is reduced with a panamorph? I'm thinking that if I'm thinking of spending that much on an IMX, I might as well get a panamorph if I'm getting screen door reduction.

Thanks
post #4 of 7 Old 06-16-2002, 07:47 PM

Liked: 10
When I had my 711xu, for the heck of it, I zoomed it as wide as possible considering the depth of my room, resulting in an image about 11 feet wide. Kicking back on my sofa, my eyes were about 12 feet from the screen. Screen door was of course visible under those circumstances, but the excitement of the huge picture and the neutral tone of the fill spaces between the pixels put me straight into the movie. I have never felt so immersed in a home theater experience. I had a friend over at the time, and he was also blown away by my experiment. We were both having a blast with that front row effect.

Add that depixelator and you should be cookin'.

Mike

P.S. I eventually settled for nine feet wide at twelve feet back, since the smaller the image, the greater the punch of the colors and contrast (true of any projector). On the other hand, the 711 had lumens to spare at 11 feet wide, and still looked rich and colorful, and I was in eco-mode. At full power, in a BIG room, I'll bet that PJ could do sixteen feet wide, with a dark ceiling and total light control.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-17-2002, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

I projected my 711 outside on a 22 foot wide '$6 drop cloth' screen, with a street light nearby, and the whole cul-de-sac could see it just fine. If my garage was wider, so would the picture have been :-)
post #6 of 7 Old 06-17-2002, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dbroome
I projected my 711 outside on a 22 foot wide '$6 drop cloth' screen, with a street light nearby, and the whole cul-de-sac could see it just fine. If my garage was wider, so would the picture have been :-)
I predict that backyard--or cul-de-sac--cinema will become bigger and bigger in the next few years. I am actually thinking of landscaping my smallish backyard to allow for a screen about dbroome's size. What somebody needs to do is have a combination pool party and outdoor movie, then put "Jaws" on as soon as everyone is in the water. :)

Mike
post #7 of 7 Old 06-17-2002, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds like fun. Memphis isn't too far from Nashville. Let me know when you are doing it and I'll bring my kid's mask/snorkel with a shark fin on top :-)
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page