Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-16-2002, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, lets say you have an AE100 with a Hoya FLD filter and you have defocussed the picture. What are the trade-offs when you use a high gain vs a low gain screen? Compare, say, a low gain screen of 0.9 with one of the higher and maybe the highest gain screens. I am not aware of how high the gain can go with screens. So for instance, if you have a screen of 0.9 gain and a screen of 1.5 or higher, can you adjust the brightness such that the image brightness is similar for both screens? What other effects will there be on colour and contrast even after matching brightness as best you can?

Thanks for any ideas :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-17-2002, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Club Gold

All the above is assuming using econo mode.

No ideas? I'm just wondering how the colour and contrast with a high gain screen compare to a lower gain screen when brightness is matched or adjusted so they are similar?

Basically, all other thing being equal in terms of the room, the screen size and shape, screen masking and the distance of the projector to the screen, does using a higher gain screen allow you to lower the brightness?
post #3 of 5 Old 06-17-2002, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

You may be confusing brightness and contrast controls with lumen output. Brightness is the level at which you achieve black without crushing those levels slightly above (7.5 IRE or 0IRE depending on which standard you use) into black. Clipping can occur for both brightness and contrast (white level), the goal is to set both at proper levels to maximize overall contrast. Those levels are not dependent on the screen being used. The lumen output will be affected by the screen gain. If you try and match lumen output from a high gain to a low gain, or vice versa, you are not going to get the max out of your pj and will reduce the dynamic range.

And I don't know if any of that made sense....
post #4 of 5 Old 06-17-2002, 05:45 PM

I rented a high-gain screen(2.8) last week-end for $20. Very helpful. I still haven't made up my mind. It depends somewhat on whether I keep the AE100.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-17-2002, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Well, I am not confused, I am actually not familiar at all with the way these things work. I just wanted to know what the differences between a high gain and a low gain screen were. From what you say, if I get too high a gain of screen and I lower the brightness level of the PJ, then my contrast suffers, right? Because I have reduced the dynamic range of light levels from darkest to brightest by lowering the brightest level.
Closed Thread Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page