Help me pick: Projector less than $1300 for 120" screen and ~14' throw - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 07-02-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Looking for a projector for a basement DIY home theater.

120" screen, 9 foot ceilings, approximate 14' throw.

I was set on using the Epson 8350 as I have seen it in a few of my buddy's theaters but wanting to see what else was recommended.
assassin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 Old 07-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
Fr. John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am NOT the person to be chiming in about projectors, having only tried 2 within the last 2 months.

That said, I am along time Plasma hold out which is why it took me so long to jump to PJs. Just didn't want to give up contrast and blacks. 2 months ago I decided to try the 3020. Suffice it to say we were blown away and have since sent it back to upgrade to the 5020. Frankly though, the 3020 was awesome and totally satisfying from a Plasma comparison perspective. I had budgeted for $2500 so it was a no brainer to upgrade to the 5020, plus I needed lens shift.

It's little outside your budget but not by much.

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
Panasonic Plasma Break-in FAQ HERE
Fr. John is offline  
post #3 of 37 Old 07-02-2013, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr. John View Post

I am NOT the person to be chiming in about projectors, having only tried 2 within the last 2 months.

That said, I am along time Plasma hold out which is why it took me so long to jump to PJs. Just didn't want to give up contrast and blacks. 2 months ago I decided to try the 3020. Suffice it to say we were blown away and have since sent it back to upgrade to the 5020. Frankly though, the 3020 was awesome and totally satisfying from a Plasma comparison perspective. I had budgeted for $2500 so it was a no brainer to upgrade to the 5020, plus I needed lens shift.

It's little outside your budget but not by much.

Thanks a lot for the post.

I am going to basically be directly in front of the middle of the screen. Is there any reason at all for me to need lens shift?
assassin is offline  
post #4 of 37 Old 07-02-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
assassin is offline  
post #5 of 37 Old 07-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Newbie
 
Cujo74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, funny enough I'm looking for the exact same thing. Looking to go with the Epson 8350, might go with the Futureshop refurbished version for 999.00. Seen a lot of great reviews and good bang for the buck. I figure if I want more I will only have spent under a grand.

What screen are you looking at pairing it with?

Onkyo TX-NR809
Panasonic 54s2
KEF IQ 9
KEF IQ 6c
KEF IQ 3
Polk PSW 505(2)
Oppo BDP 83
OrigenAE HTPC
Cujo74 is offline  
post #6 of 37 Old 07-03-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Is there a way I could rephrase my question to maybe get a few more opinions or recommendations?

Thanks.
assassin is offline  
post #7 of 37 Old 07-03-2013, 07:16 AM
Senior Member
 
///3oris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Is there a way I could rephrase my question to maybe get a few more opinions or recommendations?

Thanks.

Here you go, looks like you have up to 20 projectors to choose from. Change the search criteria for whatever makes sense for you...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=0&p=1400&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=16%3A9&dvi=&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=14&i=d&is=120&sort=pop&sz=15

Internet Certified Electrical Engineer
"I am just looking for an honest man."
///3oris is offline  
post #8 of 37 Old 07-03-2013, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3oris View Post

Here you go, looks like you have up to 20 projectors to choose from. Change the search criteria for whatever makes sense for you...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=0&p=1400&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=16%3A9&dvi=&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=14&i=d&is=120&sort=pop&sz=15

Extremely helpful. Thank you.

I am willing to go up a bit on my budget. The 8350 at $1000 sounded tempting but I haven't seen it that low in a while. At $1300 it loses a lot of its appeal.
assassin is offline  
post #9 of 37 Old 07-03-2013, 07:45 AM
Member
 
Mrke1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
You can find them refurbished for less than $1k. I own the 8100, which is a model older. My bulb popped so I've been doing a lot of research myself lately.

First question, is the 14' throw a hard requirement? My current setup is at 16', so I was looking for something to just pop into my old mount. What I learned however is that all the decent projectors under $1k are very limited in placement flexibility. For instance, the BenQ 1070 at 120" would give you a throw/zoom range of between 10' 1' and 13' 2'.

When compared to the flexibility of my Epson, the throw/zoom for 120" is 11' 9" to 25'. The difference is huge.
Mrke1 is online now  
post #10 of 37 Old 07-03-2013, 07:47 AM
Senior Member
 
///3oris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Extremely helpful. Thank you.

I am willing to go up a bit on my budget. The 8350 at $1000 sounded tempting but I haven't seen it that low in a while. At $1300 it loses a lot of its appeal.

How about $900, more tempting?

http://www.visualapex.com/home-theater-projectors-refurbished/Epson-Projector-Details.asp?For-Projector-Model=Home-Cinema-8350-R

Internet Certified Electrical Engineer
"I am just looking for an honest man."
///3oris is offline  
post #11 of 37 Old 07-03-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
No I have some play in the placement. I have a drop down area of ductwork that is at the back of the 18' room. So putting it in front of this ductwork is approximately 14'.

Also, I am a little leery of refurbished projectors unless there have been many people with firsthand experience that haven't had any issues.
assassin is offline  
post #12 of 37 Old 07-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Senior Member
 
///3oris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

No I have some play in the placement. I have a drop down area of ductwork that is at the back of the 18' room. So putting it in front of this ductwork is approximately 14'.

Also, I am a little leery of refurbished projectors unless there have been many people with firsthand experience that haven't had any issues.

Epson has the best support... the problem with the 8350 (refurb or new) is that the lamps tend to not last anywhere near the advertised amount. That's the biggest reason I didn't get one.

Internet Certified Electrical Engineer
"I am just looking for an honest man."
///3oris is offline  
post #13 of 37 Old 07-03-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 20,992
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 593
HD65 is a worthy contender near the $1000 mark (Under it actually)

-


"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
post #14 of 37 Old 07-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Fr. John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Thanks a lot for the post.

I am going to basically be directly in front of the middle of the screen. Is there any reason at all for me to need lens shift?

Sorry, missed the reply.

I must say that the lens shift with the 5020 is great feature. Makes set up very easy. That said, it's really just a matter of taking a little more getting your placement right without lens shift. Once you get it set, unless you futz with it, it's done.

Fr. John
Screenshots Thread
Panasonic Plasma Break-in FAQ HERE
Fr. John is offline  
post #15 of 37 Old 07-04-2013, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
assassin is offline  
post #16 of 37 Old 07-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Senior Member
 
///3oris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

What about the optoma hd25? Thoughts?

From your other thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

However, the actual user reviews on the HD25 posted here on AVS that I was able to find are somewhat brutal.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I did a review of the HD25 and W1070 side-by-side; the HD25 is better in many regards. I think depending on your application you can't go wrong with either.

Internet Certified Electrical Engineer
"I am just looking for an honest man."
///3oris is offline  
post #17 of 37 Old 07-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Senior Member
 
mullet34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The HD25 is a great projector, especially for 3D and will work fine with your HTPC.

I went with the HD25 over the W1070 due to having the same throw range limitation and screen size. I've only had it for 2 weeks, but it's been great so far.
mullet34 is offline  
post #18 of 37 Old 07-04-2013, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3oris View Post

From your other thread:
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I did a review of the HD25 and W1070 side-by-side; the HD25 is better in many regards. I think depending on your application you can't go wrong with either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet34 View Post

The HD25 is a great projector, especially for 3D and will work fine with your HTPC.

I went with the HD25 over the W1070 due to having the same throw range limitation and screen size. I've only had it for 2 weeks, but it's been great so far.

Thanks for the replies.

One of the main HD25 threads on AVS has people who had a projector shut down, noisy fan, complaints of subpar picture quality, etc. I usually take these types of things with a grain of salt but there appeared to be more bad comments than good ones.
assassin is offline  
post #19 of 37 Old 07-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Senior Member
 
mullet34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post


Thanks for the replies.

One of the main HD25 threads on AVS has people who had a projector shut down, noisy fan, complaints of subpar picture quality, etc. I usually take these types of things with a grain of salt but there appeared to be more bad comments than good ones.

I assume you've read the projector central review? If not, you should. The Hd25 vs W1070 shootout piece is good as well.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/top-3d-projectors.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/optoma_hd25_home_theater_projector_review.htm?page=Shootout-vs-BenQ-W1070
mullet34 is offline  
post #20 of 37 Old 07-04-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet34 View Post

I assume you've read the projector central review? If not, you should. The Hd25 vs W1070 shootout piece is good as well.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/top-3d-projectors.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/optoma_hd25_home_theater_projector_review.htm?page=Shootout-vs-BenQ-W1070

Two very good links. Thanks for posting.
assassin is offline  
post #21 of 37 Old 07-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Senior Member
 
///3oris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post


Thanks for the replies.

One of the main HD25 threads on AVS has people who had a projector shut down, noisy fan, complaints of subpar picture quality, etc. I usually take these types of things with a grain of salt but there appeared to be more bad comments than good ones.

Here's my review, along with video's, so you don't have to take my word for it...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435626/benq-w1070-dlp-full-hd-3d-ready-with-lens-shift-for-1000/5310#post_23478413

The fan is a little noisy, but less so than the W1070. Never had it shut down. The picture quality is about the same, it may not look as "natural" side by side at times, but you have to keep in mind I was literally looking at them side-by-side.. we all concluded that we couldn't tell which one was "better" picture wise and the HD25 looked great right out of the box. The HD25 also has no firmware problems the way W1070 does... that's probably the most annoying part of the W1070 for me, especially the HDMI connectivity issues.

I really think it's a hard choice between the HD25 and W1070. It really depends on the kind of throw you want, the features you want, etc.

Internet Certified Electrical Engineer
"I am just looking for an honest man."
///3oris is offline  
post #22 of 37 Old 07-04-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Thanks.

Debating this projector, the Epson 8350 and the Epson 5020. Obviously different price points. Not sure I would see or appreciate the upgrade to the 5020 to be honest.
assassin is offline  
post #23 of 37 Old 07-05-2013, 12:16 AM
Senior Member
 
///3oris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Thanks.

Debating this projector, the Epson 8350 and the Epson 5020. Obviously different price points. Not sure I would see or appreciate the upgrade to the 5020 to be honest.

You would definitely appreciate the upgrade, the real question is: what are you looking for, how picky are you and most importantly, is the difference worth it to you. Assuming the PQ is the same with all the projectors, what features are important to you?

Internet Certified Electrical Engineer
"I am just looking for an honest man."
///3oris is offline  
post #24 of 37 Old 07-05-2013, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3oris View Post

You would definitely appreciate the upgrade, the real question is: what are you looking for, how picky are you and most importantly, is the difference worth it to you. Assuming the PQ is the same with all the projectors, what features are important to you?

That's the real question --- I have been asking it to myself repeatedly.

I am not real picky. I am looking for a nice 1080p 2D picture. I have a relatively straight forward installtion/mount from about 14-15 feet and can adjust my screen on the wall.

So in the end I keep talking myself into something like the Optoma HD25. It will provide a great picture and is much more cost effective than some of the other options which might be better but aren't going to be almost 3x better (as they are almost 3x the cost).

Am I looking at this right? Or am I way off base here?
assassin is offline  
post #25 of 37 Old 07-05-2013, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Just found the Epson 8350 refurbished for $899 with full 2 year warranty.

The plot thickens...
assassin is offline  
post #26 of 37 Old 07-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Member
 
jamnperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Not sure where you found the 'brutal' reviews here. Here's mine in addition to the other one 3oris posted.

http://www.avsforum.com/products/optoma-hd25-hd-3d-home-theater-projector/reviews
jamnperry is offline  
post #27 of 37 Old 07-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Shady195's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Schenectady, NY
Posts: 678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Just found the Epson 8350 refurbished for $899 with full 2 year warranty.

The plot thickens...

Why not go for a used JVC?

Ive been driving myself insane looking at projectors. Not wanting to spend a ton due to having my calibrated 60ST60 but more or less wanting a projector for those fun movies that you just want to watch big and clear..

However I've decided I'm just going to save up and find myself a nice used JVC.. something that can come close to my plasma moer so then some of the ~1000 1080P projectors can. If your looking at an 8350 for 900 refurbished, save up another 4-500 and get a JVC.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
Shady195 is offline  
post #28 of 37 Old 07-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Senior Member
 
///3oris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

That's the real question --- I have been asking it to myself repeatedly.

I am not real picky. I am looking for a nice 1080p 2D picture. I have a relatively straight forward installtion/mount from about 14-15 feet and can adjust my screen on the wall.

So in the end I keep talking myself into something like the Optoma HD25. It will provide a great picture and is much more cost effective than some of the other options which might be better but aren't going to be almost 3x better (as they are almost 3x the cost).

Am I looking at this right? Or am I way off base here?

Sounds right to me. Try it and see if you want to keep it. If you don't, you'll at least know why and can get better recommendations, based on what you think you might be missing. I got mine at Staples which was an easy no-hassle return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Just found the Epson 8350 refurbished for $899 with full 2 year warranty.

The plot thickens...

Not from the same location as my post #10?

Internet Certified Electrical Engineer
"I am just looking for an honest man."
///3oris is offline  
post #29 of 37 Old 07-05-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3oris View Post

Sounds right to me. Try it and see if you want to keep it. If you don't, you'll at least know why and can get better recommendations, based on what you think you might be missing. I got mine at Staples which was an easy no-hassle return.
Not from the same location as my post #10?

No, it was from a different location. There are quite a few places that have them, actually.
assassin is offline  
post #30 of 37 Old 07-05-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnperry View Post

Not sure where you found the 'brutal' reviews here. Here's mine in addition to the other one 3oris posted.

http://www.avsforum.com/products/optoma-hd25-hd-3d-home-theater-projector/reviews

Thanks for your link. I hadn't seen your review before.
assassin is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off