Any negatives to short-throw projectors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm starting the research phase of getting a new projector for when we move in a few months and one thing that has caught my attention is short throw projectors. The most annoying thing with my current setup was having to "nicely" run the cables a good 15 feet from the screen area (where all the equipment is) to the projector. If I can avoid/minimize that next time I'd definitely be happier. However, I'm wondering if there are negatives to short throw projectors (ie: 4-6 feet away from the screen throwing a good 100+ inch image). If there aren't any negatives, why aren't all projectors short throw? Who wants to have their projector 10 to 15 feet from the screen when you can have it 4 to 6 feet?

Thanks,
Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 509
I wondered about this myself, but I was thinking more about using it with Kinect. pretty hard to play any games standing in front of the projector.

anyway, I don't know if there's any major disadvantage to the short throw method(maybe loss in contrast from the optics?) but I have seen any home theatre oriented projectors made with a short throw. so at present time, you'd be stuck with a business projector, which means likely very bright, reduced contrast, and higher black levels.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-02-2013, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Short throw projectors, if compared to the same level long throw ones, demand better optics. One the same budget, usually you will get higher geometry distortion, vignetting, chroma aberration, etc etc. Same as a wide angle lens.

You do need to live with more compromises. That's the reason it does not become mainstream.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-04-2013, 02:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Short Throw PJ optics have improved with time, and especially within the genre of 1080p resolution PJs. (ie: BenQ W1080ST)

ST- PJs are not mainstream yet because Short Throw has been in the domain of Presentation PJs since almost the beginning. (Boardrooms / Classrooms, etc.) But the Gaming crowd embraced the Optoma GT-series with great gusto, so BenQ came up with a 1080p version to capitalize on that market. If there is any real disadvantage it's that Short Throw PJs do not have Lens Shift capability, and all have some degree of Image Offset to compensate for. You can expect more variety coming hard on those PJs' heels....believe that.

And....the current crop of 1280 x 800 PJs with Short Throw capability all have excellent optics. Recently I did a re-coated 106" Tab Tensioned Retractable whose throw was all of just 3' 10".

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432177/painting-onto-a-106-tab-tensioned-screen-with-silver-fire-v2-5-4-0

Doing so allowed for viewers to stand at / within 3' of the screen without cutting into the PJ's beam. It also allowed for the presence of considerably more ambient light than anything most are remotely able to consider. Read the entire thread linked to above and view the end results.

If you assemble the correct information, and apply it to your circumstance, you will achieve all your goals. Make one slip, or any wrong compromise, and things can go south very quickly.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #5 of 6 Old 07-08-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Harry Muscle,

Did you overview the images in the linked-to thread above?

Here they are for easy viewing.

No lights w/ low ambient Sunlight leakage
Additional 25% Can Lighting w/Flood Bulbs
(...yeech...should be "Spots"....) mad.gif ...and will be soon !
Full on 100% Floods. (...not a real world circumstance but an effective comparison to show that resistance to such lighting is actually happening...)

The first 3 shots on the left side of the first composite were taken at 4:30 PM after the Sun had passed the south facing Window. All the others were takem mid-morning to just past Noon when the Sun was hitting the Window full on.

Room shots and a close up of the Viewsonic PJD 6683ws Short Throw PJ http://www.projectorcentral.com/ViewSonic-PJD6683ws.htm

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #6 of 6 Old 07-13-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for the info and pictures, very helpful.

Harry
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page