Epson 3020
???

Other info and questions:
Under $2k budget if possible
120" image
3D isn't that important to me
Should I get a screen?
Any speaker recommendations?

I think that's everything. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-03-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 748
is your 2k budget for projector only, or for projector + screen + mount + cables, or the whole thing including speakers?

2k for projector alone is doable. but with screen, mount and cables is gonna be a stretch and require some compromises.

i'm honestly not sure getting the whole thing, including speakers for under 2k will be worth it. you'd have to settle for very low quality across the board.

also, what have you viewed already? are you sensitive to rainbow effect with DLP's?

i'm going to infer that you want pretty much everything for 2k. so based on that, i'm going to say you're looking at either a diy fixed screen, or a painted wall. either way, still factor in 100-400bux for 'screen' painting, masking, or fabricating.

then budget 100bux for cabling and mounts. again assuming we go on the cheap side with monoprice type stuff (not that there's anything wrong with that)

that leaves you with about 1500-1800 to play with for the projector. now there's plenty of good options in that range, but to be perfectly honest, having just gone through this, there's a lot to be be gained by spending a bit more. I went in with the hope that I could find something good enough in the 1500 or under range. the 3020 was one that had my attention because I remembered seeing it for about 1200 on boxing day. to try and make a long story short, I quickly moved from the 3020, to the 5020, and from the 5020 I was just a small step away from the jvc x35 that I finally ended up with. for me, that seemed like the best point to settle, any significant upgrade required a huge increase in price(not to say there weren't other competitors providing similar quality for similar money, like the sony HW50 for example).

anyway, my point is, it might be worth it to reassess your goals and funds. if you can up the budget to 3k, you can get nearly no-compromises movie performance. at your current budget I think you're still dealing with quantity over quality.

check out this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391476/coderguys-top-projector-picks

I think he did a great job of pointing out the projectors worth looking at at several different price points.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #3 of 5 Old 07-03-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry for the confusion, $2k is projector only.

Would a screen be worth getting? If so, what's a reasonable option and decent price for a 120 inch?

Sorry for my ignorance.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-03-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsleeper02 View Post

Sorry for the confusion, $2k is projector only.

Would a screen be worth getting? If so, what's a reasonable option and decent price for a 120 inch?

Sorry for my ignorance.

i'm going to start by saying i'm no screen expert, and so far I've had two cheap screens. the most recent screen has inspired me to spend the money on a good screen next time, or put in some effort for a nice DIY screen. i'm in a temporary situation right now, so that was why I went as cheap as I did on an electric screen.

my feeling is that a good screen will be more important for a good projector. my basis for this is how much worse my current screen looks with the jvc x35 vs my old 720p Epson. the screen texture and sparklies are way more noticeable now.

i'm assuming you can do a fixed screen, which is great, because it's a lot easier to make a diy fixed screen than a roll up one. I would spend some time in the DIY screen forum and see if any of that sounds reasonable for you to do.

I think the only reason i'd be looking at a retail screen personally is to get a higher gain material, or high contrast grey/silver material. i'm quite certain you can still get these for DIY screens, but i'm not sure if the savings is as great or worth the effort(I haven't done the research).

my eventual plan is to do a diy acoustically transparent fixed screen. that way I can have the maximum sized screen without having to worry about sacrificing speaker placement. right now my speakers are touching the side walls(something I would have never accepted pre-projector days) so to get them out from behind the screen. just gotta wait for a new home with a nice room to turn into a dedicated theatre.

btw, for 2k projector budget, i'd have a look at the 5010's (open box) from avs: http://shop.avscience.com/Epson-HC5010-3LCD-3D-Projector-Open-Box_p_350.html
should get you a very noticeable improvement in blacks and contrast, and more versatility with the lens shift compared to the 3020

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #5 of 5 Old 07-08-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice on screens; I'll look into what it takes to DIY, especially if the cost is a lot lower.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page