Bare Bulb replacemnet for Benq W1070 - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #271 of 300 Old 03-04-2017, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Do you guys think this dealer can be trusted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 300 Old 03-04-2017, 07:08 AM

Here is the link:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...330648673.html

He claims it's an original OSRAM lamp: P-VIP 240/0.8 E20.9n
post #273 of 300 Old 03-04-2017, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2044 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
There is no way for the average person to tell a genuine OEM projector lamp from a good counterfeit just by eyeballing it. Additionally, many of the actual OEM projector lamps being sold on the cheap are factory rejects that would not meet projector manufacturer minimum specs, so their performance can range from slightly off to drastically inferior. Just understand up front that cheap projector replacement lamps are a gamble where some hit the jackpot and others go home with empty pockets.

post #274 of 300 Old 04-10-2017, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ARGHH!! So fed up with BenQ lamps!! I've TWO official "genuine" lamps purchased directly from BenQ EXPLODE with less than 3,000 hours on them! The first was the factory bulb that shipped with the projector, the 2nd was given to me after the projector went in for service. BenQ replaced the color wheel and insisted that the reason the color wheel failed was because I was using a lamp from Pureland supply!! I think at this point I'm just as well off using a cheap lamp from China!!
post #275 of 300 Old 04-10-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW405 View Post
ARGHH!! So fed up with BenQ lamps!! I've TWO official "genuine" lamps purchased directly from BenQ EXPLODE with less than 3,000 hours on them! The first was the factory bulb that shipped with the projector, the 2nd was given to me after the projector went in for service. BenQ replaced the color wheel and insisted that the reason the color wheel failed was because I was using a lamp from Pureland supply!! I think at this point I'm just as well off using a cheap lamp from China!!
* I shouldn't say the 2nd one was given to me. I was charged almost $300 for that visit.

Yikes:

post #276 of 300 Old 04-10-2017, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
3000 hrs would be reasonable for running the lamp power in default. If you ran in SmartECO the whole time, then 3000 would be low. All my lamps have exploded. The W1070 doesn't seem to gracefully just refuse to start up when the lamp is about to go like some projectors.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ W1070 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #277 of 300 Old 04-10-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
3000 hrs would be reasonable for running the lamp power in default. If you ran in SmartECO the whole time, then 3000 would be low. All my lamps have exploded. The W1070 doesn't seem to gracefully just refuse to start up when the lamp is about to go like some projectors.
I always ran in Smart Eco is the strange thing. I would honestly be OK with 5,000 hours in Smart Eco. Irks me that my two lamp, combined smart eco usage totals less than 6,000 hours. My friend just switched his W1070 lamp at 5,500 hours and never had any issues. We both live in the same area code and use the projector as our primary display device (TV replacement).
post #278 of 300 Old 04-10-2017, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I always ran in Smart Eco is the strange thing. I would honestly be OK with 5,000 hours in Smart Eco. Irks me that my two lamp, combined smart eco usage totals less than 6,000 hours. My friend just switched his W1070 lamp at 5,500 hours and never had any issues. We both live in the same area code and use the projector as our primary display device (TV replacement).
That is disappointing. A dusty environment, restricted airflow, blocked vents, room temperature too high, etc. can all cause a projector to shut down due to overheating. I don't know if that can also shorten lamp life or not. There must be something different in your setup to have lamp life so much shorter than average.

Kirk Ellis
post #279 of 300 Old 04-10-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
That is disappointing. A dusty environment, restricted airflow, blocked vents, room temperature too high, etc. can all cause a projector to shut down due to overheating. I don't know if that can also shorten lamp life or not. There must be something different in your setup to have lamp life so much shorter than average.
Temperature shouldn't be an issue, however my hunch is that dust and perhaps voltage variations could be the culprit. My house was built in '60, with power cables above ground. House seems to be sensitive to surges, even though I've got a fairly high joule surge protector. Not sure the cause, but I do seem to have a fair amount of dust in the house. Nothing absurd, but perhaps the projector being close to a high output ceiling fan hurts. I've seen DLP projectors survive some pretty horrendous conditions though - chronic multiple smokers living together with a projector running 8-16 hours/day (college). Meh. About to pull the trigger on this Epson 2045. Given my usage, the cheap lamps seem to seal the deal. I loved my 1070 though! And she broke my heart! (3 strikes you're out?)
post #280 of 300 Old 04-10-2017, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
2 Lamps exploding in a row and I very highly suspect an electrical issue in the projector, ballast, fans, or a voltage problem in the outlet. Did you hook a volt meter that can record voltage over time to ensure you have clean voltage, and I might also suggest a UPS that does AVR...

The "CyberPower CP800AVR AVR Series UPS 800VA 450W Compact" as one example...

I'm far from an expert at the internal workings of the lamp parts in projectors (know more about the lens parts and color wheel), but it seems like a heat or electrical issue with your particular unit.

Now I could be wrong, but I've been using projectors for 15 years, and have friends with projectors and many other people that I know, plus read all these forums for years and years.

Other than some defective lamp designs like v1 and v2 JVC lamps, and some Epson lamp issues in the past, having 2 bulbs explode in a row is EXTREMELY rare and I'd suspect something going on.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

post #281 of 300 Old 04-10-2017, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
yeah i would also suspect something wrong either with the ballast or the supply.

my w1070 is also my main display s it gets lots of hours. i am back on the bulb that came with it(around 2500hrs now) and have gone through 3 claimed genuine OSRAM bare bulbs from aliexpress. all 3 have gone over 5000hrs in smarteco, never had one explode. they all still work too, i just swapped them out because they started flickering.

either way, i would check your wall supply, and if it is off i agree with the above and run whatever you go with off a UPS with voltage regulation.
post #282 of 300 Old 04-11-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biztyke View Post
yeah i would also suspect something wrong either with the ballast or the supply.

my w1070 is also my main display s it gets lots of hours. i am back on the bulb that came with it(around 2500hrs now) and have gone through 3 claimed genuine OSRAM bare bulbs from aliexpress. all 3 have gone over 5000hrs in smarteco, never had one explode. they all still work too, i just swapped them out because they started flickering.

either way, i would check your wall supply, and if it is off i agree with the above and run whatever you go with off a UPS with voltage regulation.
I suspected something like this when I sent in for repairs a few months the ago. The color wheel was losing sync and vibrating badly. They said an official BenQ lamp fixed problem.

I'll have to check before with a friend who's got a voltage meter.

To clarify, the bulbs exploding were technically not back to back. The original BenQ Bulb exploded, a Pureland Supply lamp lasted until the color wheel lost sync, then a new BenQ lamp exploded.
post #283 of 300 Old 05-15-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
So, I ordered a W1070 bulb-only from Amazon Prime USA for $72 shipped.
It's got nine 5 star reviews and all reviewers indicate it's a real OEM bulb, not 3rd party.

AWO-LAMPS 5J.J7L05.001 Brand New Original Bare Lamp fit for BenQ W1070 / W1080ST Projectors (by AWO)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd love to take it out of the box and take pics, but I just realized I don't have the W1070 projector anymore.
LOL
I now have an Epson and bought the wrong dang bulb. So I have to send it back unwrapped.
But wanted to include the Amazon link in this thread because it looks quite promising and didn't see anyone else post the link.
Not one single bad review and all reviews are authentic purchasers.
skoolpsyk likes this.

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
post #284 of 300 Old 05-16-2017, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post
It's got nine 5 star reviews and all reviewers indicate it's a real OEM bulb, not 3rd party.

AWO-LAMPS 5J.J7L05.001 Brand New Original Bare Lamp fit for BenQ W1070 / W1080ST Projectors (by AWO)

when you said from "Amazon Prime..." I thought you had to be a Prime member to get it, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

Thanks for posting this. This is by far the most intriguing I've seen.
post #285 of 300 Old 05-16-2017, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
I use the 1070 as my living room TV in Smart Eco and the original bulb just exploded at 5010 hrs. Did the full lamp replacement though as I wasn't brave enough for the bare bulb yet. Back to working perfectly again though.
post #286 of 300 Old 05-16-2017, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolpsyk View Post
when you said from "Amazon Prime..." I thought you had to be a Prime member to get it, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

Thanks for posting this. This is by far the most intriguing I've seen.
So I had to open the package after-all to put the return label inside.
I took pics of the lamp package while I was in there.
Doesn't exactly look OEM to me.
The reviews are awesome, but the package looks suspect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170516_130012.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	2140146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170516_130017.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	2140154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170516_130026.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	2140162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170516_130036.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	2140170  

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
post #287 of 300 Old 06-07-2017, 04:21 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

I bought this same bulb this week after my original bulb quit working over the weekend. The box looks sketchy, not bad, it just doesn't look OEM. The new bulb appeared to be identical to the one that was in my projector. All the markings, notches, imprints and everything else were identical.

Once I got it installed and working I checked the lamp hours from the original...278 hours... after seeing that I am really glad I didn't spend $250 for an "original" bulb from BenQ.

The replacement lamp looks perfect, fits perfect and picture quality is great! Service life will HAVE to be better than my OE bulb.

- Eric

xkcd

Last edited by 68rustang; 06-10-2017 at 07:14 AM.
post #288 of 300 Old 07-20-2017, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

I'd love to take it out of the box and take pics, but I just realized I don't have the W1070 projector anymore.
LOL
I now have an Epson and bought the wrong dang bulb. So I have to send it back unwrapped.
But wanted to include the Amazon link in this thread because it looks quite promising and didn't see anyone else post the link.
Not one single bad review and all reviews are authentic purchasers.

I did end up getting one, but for some reason the price jumped to $84 at that time...arghhh. What was odd was the one I took out had the OSRAM printed on the bottom but this one the writing was molded; that's the exact opposite of what I expected.

Anyway, it's been in over a month and looks great! Thanks for the tip!
post #289 of 300 Old 08-01-2017, 08:50 PM

Just to update. I am about 1 year in and have about 1600 hours on the lamp with no problems. I still have the original benq lamp as a backup and managed over 6000 hours out of it. I have been very happy with aliexpress so far. When my existing lamp goes I will be buying my replacement from aliexpress.
post #290 of 300 Old 08-18-2017, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Update: my Maxii bulb just went out, I was going to let you guys know when it went. It went dark and the red light started blinking. I shut it down, then started it back up and I heard some hissing, like a cat was pissed off inside of it. So I unplugged it quickly before it had a chance to warm up and most likely explode. I didn't want to have it explode if I could help it.

So about 45mins after it cooled down I pulled it and put in my reserve bulb which I wrote 132h on it when I pulled it to test out this cheap 43.00 complete bulb/housing. After the reserve bulb was installed it flashed red once and then went green and it started warming up and wow, the bulb is soo much brighter! Forgot how good this projector is with a fresh bulb.

I've been noticing lately it was getting really dim and was wondering how much longer it would go, I was hoping for 3K but it just didn't quite make it. It went exactly 2800h, not bad considering the original only went 3590h and it's within the 2500-3000h range the seller gives. Given how dim it was, I'm glad to remove it. Overall, considering the cost I do like this bulb. The reserve bulb I purchased when I bought the projector back in 2015 and paid 150 for it, I have no idea if it was genuine or not, probably not since they retail over 250.00. Oh well. I'm ordering another Maxii bulb, the price has gone up a little, they are now 66.00 shipped. Also going to pay close attention to the brightness difference on my reserve bulb that's in now vs. the Maxii after it arrives and I'll update on that comparison. But man, what a difference in brightness, that Maxii was done! Effected sharpness and overall PQ more than I thought it would.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #291 of 300 Old 08-18-2017, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Also going to pay close attention to the brightness difference on my reserve bulb that's in now vs. the Maxii after it arrives and I'll update on that comparison. But man, what a difference in brightness, that Maxii was done! Effected sharpness and overall PQ more than I thought it would.

Thanks for the update. I recently replaced a genuine lamp with 3000 hrs with a CTLAMP ($45 from Amazon complete module https://www.amazon.com/CTLAMP-Projec...s=ctlamp+w1070 ).

I used an app for my Android phone called "light Meter" to measure the LUX with the phone held up in front of the screen where a white area was. (Actually the Netflix logo on my Roku). I'm not sure how to interpret the actual LUX numbers of 250 in front of my 122" image, but the new lamp measured almost exactly 20% brighter than the 3000hr lamp in this apples-to-apples test. The app is free, so if you want to get a percentage brightness figure the method seems sound.

Kirk Ellis
post #292 of 300 Old 08-19-2017, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was going to try the CT Lamp because it was cheaper but ended up going with another from same seller because they have a 30 day return and 180 day warranty, which is 6 months and the bulb lasted just over a year so I figure that's pretty safe and should catch a defect bulb. I don't see a warranty on the CT Lamp.

post #293 of 300 Old 08-19-2017, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I was going to try the CT Lamp because it was cheaper but ended up going with another from same seller because they have a 30 day return and 180 day warranty, which is 6 months and the bulb lasted just over a year so I figure that's pretty safe and should catch a defect bulb. I don't see a warranty on the CT Lamp.
My first CT Lamp module lasted 2500 hours, which is why I went with that one again. The color was actually correct as well, which was not true of an $80 ebay lamp that was decidedly greenish.

Kirk Ellis
post #294 of 300 Old 08-24-2017, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, swapped in the the new Maxii bulb and comparing that to the reserve bulb. There's definitely a difference in brightness between the Maxii and my reserve bulb. I wouldn't say it's a lot but it's a little brighter.

edit: just reread what I wrote. I wasn't clear, meant to say the reserve bulb I put in was noticeably brighter than the newer Maxii just put in, but it wasn't as bad as the past hundred hours or so before I pulled the old bulb. Just seemed to get very dark at the end of life. Checked the reserve bulb I bought and it's now listed for 85.00 so I know it's not genuine either. Is the extra cost 245.00 from Benq worth the extra brightness? I would say no, this projector isn't real bright anyway. 2000 lumens. I would like to get another bulb like my reserve bulb next, because it does seem a little brighter.

Last edited by tomtastic; 08-25-2017 at 12:26 PM.
post #295 of 300 Old 08-25-2017, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
My first CT Lamp module lasted 2500 hours, which is why I went with that one again. The color was actually correct as well, which was not true of an $80 ebay lamp that was decidedly greenish.
thanks - decided to take on a chance on a CT Lamp replacement.

Ordered from Amazon Canada for $80 CDN as I felt it was the best compromise between buying a cheap bulb from China and the Benq replacement for $250 CDN.
post #296 of 300 Old 08-31-2017, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rustang View Post
I bought this same bulb this week after my original bulb quit working over the weekend. The box looks sketchy, not bad, it just doesn't look OEM. The new bulb appeared to be identical to the one that was in my projector. All the markings, notches, imprints and everything else were identical.

Once I got it installed and working I checked the lamp hours from the original...278 hours... after seeing that I am really glad I didn't spend $250 for an "original" bulb from BenQ.

The replacement lamp looks perfect, fits perfect and picture quality is great! Service life will HAVE to be better than my OE bulb.
That's great that you received a working AWO bulb.

I bought and had delivered the exact same AWO bulb and this Loutoc bulb within the past 2 weeks:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XFW9V79/

Neither bulb 'worked'. Both of them were extremely dim and unusable. Often times they wouldn't turn on at all, and there was just the red lamp error. After much frustration I gave in and ordered the genuine Benq bulb from B&H for $220 and now my W1070 works fine.

So, count me on the 'nay' side for buying bare knock-off bulbs that look genuine.
post #297 of 300 Old 10-14-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Macker View Post
That's great that you received a working AWO bulb.

I bought and had delivered the exact same AWO bulb and this Loutoc bulb within the past 2 weeks:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XFW9V79/

Neither bulb 'worked'. Both of them were extremely dim and unusable. Often times they wouldn't turn on at all, and there was just the red lamp error. After much frustration I gave in and ordered the genuine Benq bulb from B&H for $220 and now my W1070 works fine.

So, count me on the 'nay' side for buying bare knock-off bulbs that look genuine.

Yep, I agree if you want a sure thing then buy from benq. Unfortunately, I don't have that option as they don't appear to have any official stockists here in Thailand (the links on the benq website are dead or the businesses have no official stock.) There is so much fake merchandise here I wouldn't trust it to be a genuine Benq lamp, so I'd rather control where I buy the fake one from.

I have 2200 hours on the lamp I got from aliexpress which was a fraction of the cost of a genuine benq lamp, if I get 3000 I'll be happy. I managed over 6500 hours out of my original lamp.
post #298 of 300 Old 10-17-2017, 03:19 PM

Liked: 17
Just got my bulb! My projectors being telling me every time I turn it on over 5000 order lamp replacement. It also flickered a few nights ago. Looks like a osram bulb not printed on like some I?ve seen will let you guys know how it goes when I?m back in town after vaca week.
Only $75!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ED1B8042-A7C7-4A18-A396-665587BE9A66_1508280607130.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	2299886  

Last edited by Thain; 10-17-2017 at 03:50 PM.
post #299 of 300 Old 10-17-2017, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thain View Post
Just got my bulb! My projectors being telling me every time I turn it on over 5000 order lamp replacement. It also flickered a few nights ago. Looks like a osram bulb not printed on like some I?ve seen will let you guys know how it goes when I?m back in town after vaca week.
Only $75!
you have to reset your lamp hrs.
post #300 of 300 Old 10-17-2017, 03:55 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thain View Post
Only $75!
you have to reset your lamp hrs.
I always do sir, I?ve had projectors over the last ~12 years(4 different models) I?ve gotten 6100 out of both my previous oem lamps on the 1085st. And also 5000 on the 2 oem lamps I replaced on my previous pj. I?m hoping that this lamp which cost ~1/4 of the price of oem works as good. Looks to be an original osram bulb!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page