Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 50 Old 03-19-2014, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjt133 View Post

So from your link it appears the E20.8 (OSRAM P-VIP 230/0.8 E20.8) is an OSRAM part no and they are cheap, while the 5J.J7L05.001 is a Benq part no. It is reasonable to guess they are the same OSRAM bare lamp.

However it looks like there is high chance that many $55-$65 OSRAM lamps on aliexpress are fake (as experienced by Capzor, even the seller vaguely admitted it), while the $80-$100 Benq lamp might be genuine (your experience). But the seller link from where you purchased has no feedback (BTW it is $81 now).

I think you are correct in the first instance re the Osram vs Benq part numbers. But .... I believe you are wrong regarding the fake nature of the cheaper Osram parts. Capzor appears to have unfortunately struck a rogue seller or there was an inadvertent substitution as the seller does say they have 'original' and 'compatible' lamps. I believe that Capzor was supplied a 'compatible' lamp when he actually purchased and paid for an 'original' one. The seller he used does NOT say original in the cheaper listing and does not show the 'Osram' labeling on the back of the lamp in the listing. ALL the other sellers when listing the 'E20.8' lamps go to the trouble of showing the back of the lamp and 'Osram' and the part number are clearly visible.

The way to look at it is perhaps to think of car parts. If you go to GM and ask for part number 12345 as a genuine part then you will pay say $40, but if you get the part from another supplier (not GM) then the exact same part will only cost say $29. Both parts have the same part number printed on the back but GM have a different call number for that part. If you look at the backs of the ' E20.8' and the '5J.J7L05.001' they are the same. It is just that Benq refer to the 'E20.8' as a part number '5J.J7L05.001' and consequently as you are being supplied a 'Benq' part you are charged more than the same 'Osram' part.

My lamp is exactly the same as the ones shown under the E20.8 search, with the exception of those from 'Discount projector lamp store'. These do not have the Osram brand showing and appear to be the one supplied to Capzor, i.e. a compatible lamp. I think there are better suppliers. I have found that 'feedback' means little in some cases as I left feedback for the seller I used but it is not there now. I was very happy with the service and the part I received. I think that if you purchased the lamp via this seller you would get the correct part but, as I said before I am an end user like you and, this cannot be guaranteed.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-OSRAM-P-VIP-180-0-8-E20-8-Projector-Lamp-Bulb/1222872408.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 04-05-2014, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi guys,

Update on the compatible lamp issue:

The seller has refunded 50% of the cost of the lamp, which overall makes it quite cheap.

I have installed the compatible lamp and it actually works perfectly so far, I have over 60 hours on it.

The brightness, uniformity and color are all as i would expect. I suspect that it would have a lower lifetime however...

I will buy another lamp on aliexpress in the future, with some care to get an original wink.gif

Have a great weekend!
post #33 of 50 Old 04-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjt133 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZReddog View Post

I have just done a brief search on Aliexpress searching for 'E20.8' :

So from your link it appears the E20.8 (OSRAM P-VIP 230/0.8 E20.8) is an OSRAM part no and they are cheap, while the 5J.J7L05.001 is a Benq part no. It is reasonable to guess they are the same OSRAM bare lamp.

The bare bulb used in the official housing (at least mine) is:
Osram P-VIP 240/0.8 E20.9n

That first numerical bit is the rated Wattage of the bulb: I don't think I'd recommend using any bulb rated 230W in a projector designed for 240W!

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #34 of 50 Old 04-05-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post

The bare bulb used in the official housing (at least mine) is:
Osram P-VIP 240/0.8 E20.9n

That first numerical bit is the rated Wattage of the bulb: I don't think I'd recommend using any bulb rated 230W in a projector designed for 240W!

Same model number is on the original bulb my PJ shipped with as well.

I was considering getting my mitts on a higher wattage one for extra brightness, but it seems like a really dumb thing to do ;)

post #35 of 50 Old 04-05-2014, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If you actually look at the variety of the lamps under the search some are 180w, some 230w and some are actually 240w so if this is a concern then simply read the description ..... Here is one example of a 240w (note: I am not endorsing this seller but simply using them as an example):
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-projector-lamp-OSRAM-P-VIP240W-0-8-E20-8-Benq-5J-J7L05-001-for-benq/1713086009.html

No one is forcing you to purchase, some of us were looking for alternate sources of the lamps to save some money and chose to share the information on here. Personal choice in action.

Hi Capzor, sounds like a reasonable result overall. Pity you were unlucky to strike a dud seller. I hope the lamp works out well, seems like it ended up being a good price with the refund.
post #36 of 50 Old 04-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZReddog View Post

If you actually look at the variety of the lamps under the search some are 180w, some 230w and some are actually 240w so if this is a concern then simply read the description ..... Here is one example of a 240w (note: I am not endorsing this seller but simply using them as an example):
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-projector-lamp-OSRAM-P-VIP240W-0-8-E20-8-Benq-5J-J7L05-001-for-benq/1713086009.html

No one is forcing you to purchase, some of us were looking for alternate sources of the lamps to save some money and chose to share the information on here. Personal choice in action.

Agreed; actually I was one of the earlier posters to this thread; looking for a spare without being ripped off; same as you guys.

TBH I mention the wattage since my first bulb order (which I arranged as an import via a local AV shop in my area) was supposed to be 'OEM', but in fact, they delivered this very bulb (OSRAM P-VIP 230/0.8 E20.8). Was an original Osram and in perfect condition; but it's simply not the correct bulb smile.gif

Since BenQ's web site clearly states that the intended bulb is 240W (on the spec list, here), the supplied bulb was simply just not 'OEM' (however loosely suppliers use the term smile.gif ); so the store had no problem requesting a return to swap it out for the correct bulb (which I'll be receiving in the next week) at no extra cost.

Best case the 230W bulb might've worked fine (maybe the same brightness; but likely dimmer); but pumping an unintended amount of power through a bulb is generally a good way to shorten it's lifespan. On Osram's own spec sheet, they explicitly state that:
Quote:
P-VIP lamps are perfectly matched to the system design of the projector, e.g. the cooling set-ups, driving modes and ignition parameters.

Also with systems like Smart-Eco, the projector's lamp-ballast circuitry keeps quite a tight level of control on the amount of current flowing through the bulb to modulate brightness; so I suppose we wouldn't want to risk damage to that either.

My point I guess, is that if the intention is to get as close to the original bulb's performance as possible, it makes sense to request the bulb by exact model number. It's not fool-proof (counterfeits; changing model numbers; etc are all still possible); but at least it's one step closer.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

post #37 of 50 Old 04-29-2014, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Agreed; actually I was one of the earlier posters to this thread; looking for a spare without being ripped off; same as you guys.

TBH I mention the wattage since my first bulb order (which I arranged as an import via a local AV shop in my area) was supposed to be 'OEM', but in fact, they delivered this very bulb (OSRAM P-VIP 230/0.8 E20.8). Was an original Osram and in perfect condition; but it's simply not the correct bulb smile.gif

Since BenQ's web site clearly states that the intended bulb is 240W (on the spec list, here), the supplied bulb was simply just not 'OEM' (however loosely suppliers use the term smile.gif ); so the store had no problem requesting a return to swap it out for the correct bulb (which I'll be receiving in the next week) at no extra cost.

So after a swap-out, the local shop provided pretty-much the same bulb as Capzor received (as per here).
It's almost exactly the same as in Capzor's images, except the tip is correct when compared to the original; and it doesn't have the iffy connection to the base. Like Capzor's, the base also lacks a coil. That bothers me since I'm wondering what the coil is for. Hopefully nothing safety related wink.gif

I disputed and got a discount from the store that leaves me willing to risk keeping it, so I was happy to hear about this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capzor View Post

Hi guys,
I have installed the compatible lamp and it actually works perfectly so far, I have over 60 hours on it.

The brightness, uniformity and color are all as i would expect. I suspect that it would have a lower lifetime however...

@Capzor, I'm guessing yours hasn't popped quite yet (hopefully!)? If your mileage has been good, I'll happily keep it. If not... well, I'll probably keep it anyway since I just don't have the time and patience for another return! smile.gif
Capzor likes this.

post #38 of 50 Old 04-29-2014, 09:42 AM

Hi kreeturez,
The bulb is going strong, no sign og dimming, flicker or anything untoward smile.gif
I use the projector heavily, at least 4 hours a day.
Just to be on the safe side though, I always use the lower lamp power setting and I always have high altitude fan on to keep it cooler.
kreeturez likes this.
post #39 of 50 Old 04-29-2014, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Nice; thanks for the feedback!!

When I do replace my current bulb, I may pass on High Altitude - waaaay to noisy for me!

I guess I'm keeping it!

Thanks again!

post #40 of 50 Old 05-04-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 69
It is interesting that these
Quote:

Best case the 230W bulb might've worked fine (maybe the same brightness; but likely dimmer); but pumping an unintended amount of power through a bulb is generally a good way to shorten it's lifespan. On Osram's own spec sheet, they explicitly state that:
Also with systems like Smart-Eco, the projector's lamp-ballast circuitry keeps quite a tight level of control on the amount of current flowing through the bulb to modulate brightness; so I suppose we wouldn't want to risk damage to that either.

My point I guess, is that if the intention is to get as close to the original bulb's performance as possible, it makes sense to request the bulb by exact model number. It's not fool-proof (counterfeits; changing model numbers; etc are all still possible); but at least it's one step closer.

I would think that the 230W bulb is really not much different that the Benq 240W bulb. The 240W lamp seems to be the same as the 230W lamp except with the Benq numbers. If you are using Eco or Smart eco there should be no problem using the 230/0.8. E20.8 vs the 9. The only difference might be that the 240W bulb might last a little longer on High Mode but only time will tell. I would also bet that Benq had Osram put special numbers on their bulb so that it could sell for a higher price. With the big price difference it just might be worth taking a chance.
post #41 of 50 Old 05-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

It is interesting that these
Quote:

I would think that the 230W bulb is really not much different that the Benq 240W bulb. The 240W lamp seems to be the same as the 230W lamp except with the Benq numbers. If you are using Eco or Smart eco there should be no problem using the 230/0.8. E20.8 vs the 9. The only difference might be that the 240W bulb might last a little longer on High Mode but only time will tell. I would also bet that Benq had Osram put special numbers on their bulb so that it could sell for a higher price. With the big price difference it just might be worth taking a chance.

Not sure... SmartEco is as bright as Normal mode on bright scenes so I'm guessing 240W hits the bulb on a regular basis, even in SmartEco...

When I compared the two, they didn't look exactly the same either to the naked eye.

But TBH, the 230W bulb I received was an original Osram whilst the 240W that me and Capzor got weren't: so in the end, we're taking the same risk now in any case smile.gif

If anyone's received the 230W Osram and felt brave enough to try it, contributing first-hand experience here would be useful - maybe (other than lamp life) all is, indeed, good (and brightness is the same)?

The last thing to consider is the old 'Return on Investment': with users now reporting in excess of the claimed 6000 hours on their original bulbs, there's certainly an argument for 'bang-for-buck' on original lamps: yeah, the price difference is $100 or so - but if that buys 5 years of trouble-free use, it might just be worth it...

post #42 of 50 Old 07-12-2014, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Purchased a bulb from this seller.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origi...&af=cj_6155355

Works great so far and quality looks good. The only thing I noticed is the OSRAM writing on the back is stamped or etched in rather than printed on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	158329   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	158337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	158345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	158353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	158361  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	158369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	158377  
post #43 of 50 Old 07-13-2014, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Looks legit. It is the same etched lable as someone purchased from an Australian site.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archi...9666#r43458700

This, however differs from the photos on the Aliexpress site. It could be Osram changed packaging recently.
post #44 of 50 Old 07-13-2014, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjt133 View Post
Looks legit. It is the same etched lable as someone purchased from an Australian site.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archi...9666#r43458700

This, however differs from the photos on the Aliexpress site. It could be Osram changed packaging recently.

Very possible...

It's also more difficult to remove/tamper with an etched label than it is with a printed one.

post #45 of 50 Old 07-23-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyVee View Post

Works great so far and quality looks good. The only thing I noticed is the OSRAM writing on the back is stamped or etched in rather than printed on.
Thanks JonnyVee, very helpful info and great to have pictures of the product, valuable info for many.

In relation to the "compatible" lamp which i'm using, it's still going strong, no problems at all after 1300 hours usage.
kreeturez likes this.
post #46 of 50 Old 07-23-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capzor View Post

In relation to the "compatible" lamp which i'm using, it's still going strong, no problems at all after 1300 hours usage.

That's rather encouraging, thanks for keeping us posted... You're using it in Eco, right? (Does it work correctly with the variable brightness that SmartEco provides?)

post #47 of 50 Old 07-23-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
That's rather encouraging, thanks for keeping us posted... You're using it in Eco, right? (Does it work correctly with the variable brightness that SmartEco provides?)
I haven't used smarteco, much, i just tested it for 5 mins and it worked ok. but i have been using it in high lamp mode for a while now to get the extra brightness for 3d stuff i'm happy with it especially considering i ended up paying almost nothing for it. If it shows any weirdness though i intend to swap it out immediately.
kreeturez likes this.
post #48 of 50 Old 07-25-2014, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capzor View Post
Thanks JonnyVee, very helpful info and great to have pictures of the product, valuable info for many.

My pleasure. Two weeks going and the bulb is ok. Nice and bright and color looks great. I'll be keeping this one in and the old 2000 hr bulb will become a back up.

I'm not using Eco or smart Eco anymore either. Nice to have the extra brightness ... Don't mind replacing the bulb each year for $80.
post #49 of 50 Old 08-17-2014, 03:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyVee View Post

Look like original!
I have exactly the same bulb in my W1070 even without printed OSRAM writing. Its an original bulb which came with PJ, never been replaced.
kreeturez likes this.

Last edited by desann; 08-17-2014 at 03:32 AM.
post #50 of 50 Old 08-17-2014, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Bare Bulb replacemnet for Benq W1070

Quote:
Originally Posted by desann View Post
Look like original!
I have exactly the same bulb in my W1070 even without printed OSRAM writing. Its an original bulb which came with PJ, never been replaced.

Interesting! It's probably like I thought above, where they've replaced the old model-number/manufacturer sticker with etching to prevent it from being easily scratched out and removed/replaced.

Incidentally, early models of the W1070 often had poor brightness uniformity.

This seems to have improved a lot with new models (I've seen this myself - my replacement model is very uniform) - and there were theories that it might've been lamp related (twisting the orientation of the old lamp shifted the non-uniformity).

It's possible BenQ addressed this with a revised lamp: maybe Osram changed the design a bit to improve this. If I opened my new one up, it would probably have the new-style lamp as well...

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page