Bare Bulb replacemnet for Benq W1070 - Page 3 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2014, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee View Post
Just received this as posted above - aliexpress bulb. Will install it today. Has printed OSRAM info, not etched.

Received mine today from same place as above,14 days shipping to Australia cost $95au. As above printed osram looks same as orig, got as spare so won't use for awhile so can't report on how it performs yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Considering

I am strongly considering purchasing one of these for myself. We use the projector as our main TV so I love the idea of having a spare bulb on hand but that said we only have 1500 hours on the projector in the roughly 6 months we have had it and use it exclusively on SmartEco. I am hesitant to buy a spare that has only a 6 month warranty when I very well might not need it for another 18 months. I will probably just keep an eye on it and at the first sign of degradation or issue of the current bulb I will go ahead and order the spare.

As a note on installation of the bulb, do you have to wear gloves when handling the bulb? Is it fairly easy to replace? I work on computers for a living so I am no stranger to opening something up and replacing parts, but never a projector.

Are these instructions correct?: "Remove the top cover, remove a few screws, pull the lamp housing up and clip off 2 wires and pull the lamp out. Reverse this to install."

Has anyone taken pictures or found a guide with pictures of this process? I just want to make sure I have it exactly right and don't want to take any risks...this projector is probably the best purchase I have ever made but if I accidentally messed it up my wife probably wouldn't let me buy another
Old 10-23-2014, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Why don't you just order it now and replace your current bulb with the new one, use it for six months until the warranty expires, then swap it back out? Use the same principle as having two pairs of sneakers. They'll last twice as long if you alternate them. That way you keep the slope of your brightness degradation lower.

I probably need to order a new bulb myself, come of think of it. I'm over 4000 hours now and it's definitely getting darker. Most of the time it's fine, but for 3D movies it's definitely too dim.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Just received my second one as a spare. I would go for it if anyone is on the fence. Good deal and you'll have it if you need it.

I did not wear gloves when changing mine. Just take note of my previous comments about the changeout, it's pretty easy if your a detailed kind of person which you are if you work on computers.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought from Amazon.de one bulb OSRAM P-VIP 240/0.8 E20.8

I didn't payed attention that the bulb that I needed was E20.9, so the one that I bought was 2mm smaller in diameter, and it didn't fit tightly inside the lamp.

After all I managed to install it, but the image is so dimmed.

I tried to ship it back, but it looks that I can't...Amazon's policy that I cand return it because it contains mercury.

So I payed 80€ for a bulb that it's ok only for movies...for TV, games and as a monitor for my Mac Mini is horrible.

The original bulb exploded inside the lamp, and the piece of glass in front of the bulb has two scratches that can be seen when projected...

So I deicided to order the original 5J.J7L05.001 lamp with bulb included from beamershop24.net for 200€.

I hope it will be as bright as the original one.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
you should have bought the Osram P-VIP 280/0.9 E20.9. thats 142 euro. its running for 4500 hours now.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey Guys,

Im new to this, my bulb just exploded so i took it apart today, its the 9n bulb so im about to order the one from aliexpress, but i have this same problem as Kevo82 when the bulb exploded left few scratches on the glass, i dont know if it will show on the screen when i install new bulb, if it will in fact can i get this glass somewhere?
Old 12-15-2014, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmcke01 View Post
I am strongly considering purchasing one of these for myself. We use the projector as our main TV so I love the idea of having a spare bulb on hand but that said we only have 1500 hours on the projector in the roughly 6 months we have had it and use it exclusively on SmartEco. I am hesitant to buy a spare that has only a 6 month warranty when I very well might not need it for another 18 months. I will probably just keep an eye on it and at the first sign of degradation or issue of the current bulb I will go ahead and order the spare.

As a note on installation of the bulb, do you have to wear gloves when handling the bulb? Is it fairly easy to replace? I work on computers for a living so I am no stranger to opening something up and replacing parts, but never a projector.

Are these instructions correct?: "Remove the top cover, remove a few screws, pull the lamp housing up and clip off 2 wires and pull the lamp out. Reverse this to install."

Has anyone taken pictures or found a guide with pictures of this process? I just want to make sure I have it exactly right and don't want to take any risks...this projector is probably the best purchase I have ever made but if I accidentally messed it up my wife probably wouldn't let me buy another

I second this, is there some kinda detail guide with pictures.....I'm handy when it comes to this stuff but I like to make sure I'm on the right path.

Silver Ticket 120" Projector Screen Grey Material /Panasonic PT-AE8000 projector/Darbee darblet DVP-5000/ Sony- PS4/Yamaha- RX-V675/Klipsch- RF-82 II , RC-62 II,RB-61 II(Surround) Sub 12/Amazon Fire TV
Old 12-15-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
I second this, is there some kinda detail guide with pictures.....I'm handy when it comes to this stuff but I like to make sure I'm on the right path.
Replacing the bare lamp into the housing is fairly simple. Except for the tiny screws. I lost two of them . Fortunately, I had spares of that type of screw.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I replaced my bulb with the e20.9 / 240W model, and the projector is overheating and shuts down now. Any tips? I tried leaving the lid slightly open and putting a huge fan in front of it, and it still happens. I'm wondering if maybe I should plug the bulb in to the wall with a dimmer and let it run for a while, so that it can dim down.

Not sure what to do, I'm worried even if I buy an official replacement bulb that my projector will overheat. It exploded inside the projector though I cleaned out the glass. When the new bulb is in now, it looks fine optically but it just overheats like crazy so it's unusable.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
I replaced my bulb with the e20.9 / 240W model, and the projector is overheating and shuts down now. Any tips? I tried leaving the lid slightly open and putting a huge fan in front of it, and it still happens. I'm wondering if maybe I should plug the bulb in to the wall with a dimmer and let it run for a while, so that it can dim down.

Not sure what to do, I'm worried even if I buy an official replacement bulb that my projector will overheat. It exploded inside the projector though I cleaned out the glass. When the new bulb is in now, it looks fine optically but it just overheats like crazy so it's unusable.
Have you cleaned out the projector? The air vents? Fans?
Old 12-31-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGTweed View Post
Have you cleaned out the projector? The air vents? Fans?
Yeah I just did all that with the service manual open at the appropriate pages. I'm going to try hot-wiring the lamp outside the projector with a big fan on it, so that it's not touching the temperature sensor or even close to it, and see if I can get the projector to get stable enough in Eco mode after the bulb dims a bit.

On visual inspection, it looks exactly identical to my busted bulb it's replacing.

Too bad, was looking forward to a big gaming session with guests tonight. Oh well, gotta play on this tiny 42 inch TV instead
Old 01-01-2015, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Several Sellers have it on Ali Express The original can be had for $80.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origi...102318981.html
Old 01-01-2015, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I think that's exactly the one I ordered actually.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think that's exactly the one I ordered actually.
Good luck, hope you get the overheating issue fixed. I don't think it is the bulb since it seems like the correct one. On another note it seems that they changed the passwords to the link for firmware updates. Do you know what the new password or link is?
Old 01-03-2015, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, I wish! I haven't looked at it in a while, but since I've udpated to 1.08 I haven't paid much attention other than to check there wasn't a 1.09, and it doesn't look like there will be.

I had to order a new retail bulb from amazon because of the overheating issue, because I noticed a small crack in the glass of the previous enclosure that could possibly account for why it's overheating. The pictures of the new enclosure also look quite different. My plan was to sell this little projector when a 4K model comes out as is, but I guess I could re-coup some of my investment in the bulbs if I bundle them as a special deal.

I'm looking forward to what comes out of CES this year.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You will need to wait for CEDIA show on October 14-17, 2015 in Dallas for news about new projector's. There's not that much information about projector's at CES.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hmmm, I wish! I haven't looked at it in a while, but since I've udpated to 1.08 I haven't paid much attention other than to check there wasn't a 1.09, and it doesn't look like there will be.

I had to order a new retail bulb from amazon because of the overheating issue, because I noticed a small crack in the glass of the previous enclosure that could possibly account for why it's overheating. The pictures of the new enclosure also look quite different. My plan was to sell this little projector when a 4K model comes out as is, but I guess I could re-coup some of my investment in the bulbs if I bundle them as a special deal.

I'm looking forward to what comes out of CES this year.
They don't usually offer much on projectors at CES. That is one of the reasons I am not going this year. They also have to settle the HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 chip issues. I would expect that by next years CETA show in Sept we will see some more 4k projectors. Waiting to see what JVC comes up with.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

My next projector must have excellent blacks, that's for sure.

And hopefully Freesync too. There will be lots of Freesync monitors this year at CES, including TVs (like 21:9 or whatnot). Exciting times!
Old 01-06-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Update : After getting the official replacement bulb, the projector was still overheating, so I figured the cleaning job I did earlier was insufficient.

Sure enough, after taking 1/2 of it apart and using some Q-tips to get the dust and grime off all the fans and inputs / outputs, as well as the heat sink, the projector works! And I just returned the lamp to Amazon after using it for ten minutes. So no harm no foul.

That said, I managed to get some dust in the optical path but I just picked up some air blast cannisters so I should be able to clean it all up for a big movie weekend! We're watclking Sin City : Dame to Kill for, on Bluray 3D, with my new anamorphic lens too awww yeah! It should be bright, sharp, and pretty darn cool.

Another thing I noticed when taking it apart, was that it would be fairly straightforward to build a watercooled or even passive hushbox for it. Once you know the thermal limit of a 240W bulb, then the question is, since it's focused on the element, how much heat do it produce, and how many copper wires do you need. At this point, I'm hanging on to this projector until a 4K model comes out, then it's going on craigslist. Terrific little projector though.
kreeturez likes this.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Bare Bulb replacemnet for Benq W1070

Quote:
Update : After getting the official replacement bulb, the projector was still overheating, so I figured the cleaning job I did earlier was insufficient.

Sure enough, after taking 1/2 of it apart and using some Q-tips to get the dust and grime off all the fans and inputs / outputs, as well as the heat sink, the projector works! And I just returned the lamp to Amazon after using it for ten minutes.

That's awesome, awesome news. It's pretty neat that the replacements appear to be original at such a reasonable price.

$80 for 5000+ hours of nice 'n bright use? I'd call that pretty good economy.

I'm curious as to what went wrong when the first bulb blew that inhibited ventilation. You think it was just dust that got blown all over when the bulb went - or was there glass (or the like) in the fans?

I reckon perhaps best-practice (which is what I think I'll be doing down the line) might be trying to avoid bulb-blow-outs altogether by changing bulbs at around the 5000 hour mark. At $80, it's not like it's an expensive thing to do... Although I guess a bulb can pop at any time. But in any mode other than Normal (including equally-as-bright SmartEco), 5500+ hours seems to be the norm with this projector.

Glad you're back in business, RLBURNSIDE!

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!

Last edited by kreeturez; 01-06-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks man!

Personally, I would recommend people replace their bulb at 4500 hours, tops, because after that point it gets visibly dim and kind of annoying. Plus it's kind of a nuisance getting all the tiny bits of broken glass out of there. Real cinemas replace their xenon bulbs well before the "due" date because the warranty for bulb explosions causing damage to the projector are far more conservative than the bulb's life expectancy.

I've been looking into buying a quieter blower fan too, which is the real loud one.

Since the shape of the blower fan is really odd, perhaps a hose to a larger, quieter, outboard one would work just as well (if not better). Then I'd have to leave one side of the projector open so the hose can come out, and close it up with something else. (since I don't want to damage the projector plastic for when I want to sell it).
kreeturez likes this.

Last edited by RLBURNSIDE; 01-06-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Bare Bulb replacemnet for Benq W1070

Sage advice: It's commonly said that when particularly noticable dimming takes place, it's time to swap out. 4500 hours is a nice round number (and still solid economy)

With regards to the fan: you mentioned you're using an older model, right?

I ask because early this year, I swapped from a March-2013-manufactured-date-unit to an early-2014 build (which actually had a different 'Hardware Revision' number), and one of the things I noticed right away was significantly quieter fans (in particular, no more 'rattling'/'grinding'). Even the Mrs noticed it. (Eco mode is quite pleasant on the new model). This was something reported quite a bit back then.

I posted a bit more about the differences I encountered on my newer unit here:
BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$

I wonder if a good start might not be comparing the blower fan model number in your current unit to whatever BenQ swapped over to in their current builds...

Of course, even quieter would be even better, so I'd be most interested to hear any successful mods that you're able to pull off! (Just don't break it, please! You need it for your movie night!! )

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
Old 01-06-2015, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Sage advice: It's commonly said that when particularly noticable dimming takes place, it's time to swap out. 4500 hours is a nice round number (and still solid economy)

With regards to the fan: you mentioned you're using an older model, right?

I ask because early this year, I swapped from a March-2013-manufactured-date-unit to an early-2014 build (which actually had a different 'Hardware Revision' number), and one of the things I noticed right away was significantly quieter fans (in particular, no more 'rattling'/'grinding'). Even the Mrs noticed it. (Eco mode is quite pleasant on the new model). This was something reported quite a bit back then.

I posted a bit more about the differences I encountered on my newer unit here:
BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$

I wonder if a good start might not be comparing the blower fan model number in your current unit to whatever BenQ swapped over to in their current builds...

Of course, even quieter would be even better, so I'd be most interested to hear any successful mods that you're able to pull off! (Just don't break it, please! You need it for your movie night!! )
FYI, there is an 8" Cooler Master fan that is only 16dB and over 100CFM. So a hushbox built from acoustic tiles and vented to the rear while being overpressured by such a fan seems like a nearly silent solution would possible for anyone particularly sensitive.

Coming from JVC projectors, I rarely notice my W1070.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
Old 04-21-2015, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well it looks like the seller selling the genuine bulbs has run out!

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origi...933097468.html

Anyone know of a seller (aliexpress or otherwise) that has the genuine bare bulb for $100 or less? There's a whole bunch of them, but most don't have much feedback and seem a little shady.
Old Today, 07:12 AM

Liked: 11
In the market for a new globe myself. Just. ticked over 3000 hours and thought I better prepare for a changeover.
Old Today, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper59 View Post
Well it looks like the seller selling the genuine bulbs has run out!

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origi...933097468.html

Anyone know of a seller (aliexpress or otherwise) that has the genuine bare bulb for $100 or less? There's a whole bunch of them, but most don't have much feedback and seem a little shady.
Wow, that sucks. Next projector I get, I'm definitely buying 2-3 spare bulbs immediately. Unless it's an LED.
Old Today, 10:15 AM

I asked the seller and they said more bulbs would be in stock June. Hopefully my bulb makes it haha

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com