AVS Forum banner

Bare Bulb replacemnet for Benq W1070

96K views 329 replies 89 participants last post by  mabuk 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. My question is, is it ok to buy replacement bare bulbs from sites like ebay and just change the bulb instead of the whole module/housing? I've found replacement bare bulbs ranging from $96 to $140 where as the only Benq w1070 certified replacements come with the housing and cost around $250 to $260.

Does anyone just buy and replace the bare bulbs? If so it would be great if you could recommend a trustworthy seller.

Thanks

#246 · (Edited)
My new lamp is on the way from China, hopefully it arrive before my current lamp shuffles off its mortal coil. I really hope it does because I have just started 4 weeks off work! Fingers crossed.

I added some pictures that show the projected image, the area highlighted and a close up of the flaw. Are these similar to what you saw before your lamp went? It only shows up on a white background.

Attachments

#250 ·
#252 ·
The original piece of dust moved of its own accord, although it’s still in there somewhere. I removed the casing and carried out a basic clean, rather than a full teardown, fans, areas around the lens motherboard etc. there was a heatsink that I managed to remove some dust from but not all. It will all aid in keeping the unit cooler. I have no dust in the image except when I pull back the focus completely. I have found a few videos with a complete tear down cleaning prisms and mirrors behind the lens as well as the lens itself. I am not brave enough to try that just yet but if the problem returns I might give it a go.

I received my replacement lamp very well packaged. The epson logo and info was printed rather than stamped like the original lamp. Everything looked perfect with one exception, the notch on the rim of the lamp is a little bit bigger than the original and a slightly different shape (see attached pic) The hole in the metal plate that holds it in place is not quite big enough. I could adapt it but I don’t really want to damage the housing assembly.

I am going to wait and see what the seller has to say and give them a chance to rectify it. I have only sent a message, via aliexpress, at this stage rather than opening a dispute. I haven’t used Aliexpress before, so if anyone has experience and has tips/advice on the dispute procedure, I’d be grateful.

Attachments

#255 ·
... I received my replacement lamp very well packaged. The epson logo and info was printed rather than stamped like the original lamp. Everything looked perfect with one exception, the notch on the rim of the lamp is a little bit bigger than the original and a slightly different shape (see attached pic) The hole in the metal plate that holds it in place is not quite big enough. I could adapt it but I don’t really want to damage the housing assembly.

I am going to wait and see what the seller has to say and give them a chance to rectify it. I have only sent a message, via aliexpress, at this stage rather than opening a dispute. I haven’t used Aliexpress before, so if anyone has experience and has tips/advice on the dispute procedure, I’d be grateful.
Thanks for sharing. This is yet another good example of the gamble involved in trying to save money with one of the cheap replacement lamps. While some have had success many have reported problems like not fitting and worse.

#253 ·
Sushi5734, the shape of the reflector is also more elongated in relation to the original lamp. Is it taller as well, right? It is a pretty cheap lamp, and probably these things should be expected. Are you thinking of returning the lamp?

Offtopic, last night, after reading the link I posted above I decided to clean my optics as well. I had cleaned the projector from dust twice before, but only on the outside of the optics area, parts, fans, plastics etc. Last night I unscrewed the chip's heat sink and then the board came off as well. There was dust on the chip itself as well as on both of the curved mirrors inside the housing. Cleaning the mirrors was the tricky-difficult part but it worked like a charm. I took a plastic pen, attached a small amount of cotton at the back end of the pen, and then wrapped arround it a cloth that I use to clean glasses, lens etc. I had 15-20 dust blobs before, along with many smaller ones, and now there are only 3 visible only at very very dark scenes, or complete dark images. I'm very happy!

#257 ·
Sushi5734, the shape of the reflector is also more elongated in relation to the original lamp. Is it taller as well, right? It is a pretty cheap lamp, and probably these things should be expected. Are you thinking of returning the lamp?
The two lamps are identical in size and shape, other than the notch. I think the replacement lamp was closer to the camera when I took the picture. It might well be a brilliant lamp, it’s just this tiny difference that stops me.

#254 ·
I used a Q-tip wrapped with a lent cloth to clean glasses and then wetted that with lens cleaner. Spent 15-20 minutes cleaning the mirrors and inspecting the lens with a small LED light shown through the light window. Bright enough to see any remaining dust not so bright to blind you like the DLP bulb.

#258 ·
You are in a difficult position being in Thailand where it's not as easy to buy quality parts from reliable vendors. I can understand wanting to take more of a gamble in that position.

My understanding of UHP projector lamps is that they are not easy to design and produce and require both excellent engineering and exacting production to perform properly. It's not comforting to know that the notch on the rim of the lamp wasn't produced to the proper size. That notch is probably the simplest component of that lamp, and if they can't get that right I'd be concerned about the more complex components inside the lamp. I really wish you luck on getting it to work and will be interested to learn how it turns out.

#259 ·
They have been fairly decent as far as responding to messages goes. They have offered a refund, however they have also suggested that I rotate the lamp 90 degrees, so that the notch is not covered by the plate. I can’t help but think that’s going to stretch the power cables and that the notch is there for a reason. I’ve noticed that there is a vent of some description in the housing, I’m wondering whether that's there to keep the metal element cool? but I’m guessing. If anyone knows if the lamp should be in the same position as the notch guides and why, I’d appreciate your input. Or even if it will be okay rotated 90 degrees out of position I don’t really want to go through the hassle of sending the lamp back.

#264 ·
just chiming in here on the thread. I noticed a bare lamp bulb from China above and I can vouch for that myself. I only order bare lamps for my Benq and I get the OEM version through a place back east that is legit but man it takes forever to have one delivered. under 200 shipped for one. The guy said he wasn't sure how much longer they'll be in production. He's just the middle man but is a huge help in making sure things go smoothly.

#273 ·
There is no way for the average person to tell a genuine OEM projector lamp from a good counterfeit just by eyeballing it. Additionally, many of the actual OEM projector lamps being sold on the cheap are factory rejects that would not meet projector manufacturer minimum specs, so their performance can range from slightly off to drastically inferior. Just understand up front that cheap projector replacement lamps are a gamble where some hit the jackpot and others go home with empty pockets.

#274 ·
ARGHH!! So fed up with BenQ lamps!! I've TWO official "genuine" lamps purchased directly from BenQ EXPLODE with less than 3,000 hours on them! The first was the factory bulb that shipped with the projector, the 2nd was given to me after the projector went in for service. BenQ replaced the color wheel and insisted that the reason the color wheel failed was because I was using a lamp from Pureland supply!! I think at this point I'm just as well off using a cheap lamp from China!!

#281 ·
yeah i would also suspect something wrong either with the ballast or the supply.

my w1070 is also my main display s it gets lots of hours. i am back on the bulb that came with it(around 2500hrs now) and have gone through 3 claimed genuine OSRAM bare bulbs from aliexpress. all 3 have gone over 5000hrs in smarteco, never had one explode. they all still work too, i just swapped them out because they started flickering.

either way, i would check your wall supply, and if it is off i agree with the above and run whatever you go with off a UPS with voltage regulation.

#282 ·
I suspected something like this when I sent in for repairs a few months the ago. The color wheel was losing sync and vibrating badly. They said an official BenQ lamp fixed problem.

I'll have to check before with a friend who's got a voltage meter.

To clarify, the bulbs exploding were technically not back to back. The original BenQ Bulb exploded, a Pureland Supply lamp lasted until the color wheel lost sync, then a new BenQ lamp exploded.

#283 ·
So, I ordered a W1070 bulb-only from Amazon Prime USA for $72 shipped.
It's got nine 5 star reviews and all reviewers indicate it's a real OEM bulb, not 3rd party.

AWO-LAMPS 5J.J7L05.001 Brand New Original Bare Lamp fit for BenQ W1070 / W1080ST Projectors (by AWO)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J5FNC78/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd love to take it out of the box and take pics, but I just realized I don't have the W1070 projector anymore.
LOL
I now have an Epson and bought the wrong dang bulb. So I have to send it back unwrapped.
But wanted to include the Amazon link in this thread because it looks quite promising and didn't see anyone else post the link.
Not one single bad review and all reviews are authentic purchasers.

#284 ·
So, I ordered a W1070 bulb-only from Amazon Prime USA for $72 shipped.
It's got nine 5 star reviews and all reviewers indicate it's a real OEM bulb, not 3rd party.

AWO-LAMPS 5J.J7L05.001 Brand New Original Bare Lamp fit for BenQ W1070 / W1080ST Projectors (by AWO)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J5FNC78/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
when you said from "Amazon Prime..." I thought you had to be a Prime member to get it, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

Thanks for posting this. This is by far the most intriguing I've seen.

#289 ·
Just to update. I am about 1 year in and have about 1600 hours on the lamp with no problems. I still have the original benq lamp as a backup and managed over 6000 hours out of it. I have been very happy with aliexpress so far. When my existing lamp goes I will be buying my replacement from aliexpress.

#290 ·
Update: my Maxii bulb just went out, I was going to let you guys know when it went. It went dark and the red light started blinking. I shut it down, then started it back up and I heard some hissing, like a cat was pissed off inside of it. So I unplugged it quickly before it had a chance to warm up and most likely explode. I didn't want to have it explode if I could help it.

So about 45mins after it cooled down I pulled it and put in my reserve bulb which I wrote 132h on it when I pulled it to test out this cheap 43.00 complete bulb/housing. After the reserve bulb was installed it flashed red once and then went green and it started warming up and wow, the bulb is soo much brighter! Forgot how good this projector is with a fresh bulb.

I've been noticing lately it was getting really dim and was wondering how much longer it would go, I was hoping for 3K but it just didn't quite make it. It went exactly 2800h, not bad considering the original only went 3590h and it's within the 2500-3000h range the seller gives. Given how dim it was, I'm glad to remove it. Overall, considering the cost I do like this bulb. The reserve bulb I purchased when I bought the projector back in 2015 and paid 150 for it, I have no idea if it was genuine or not, probably not since they retail over 250.00. Oh well. I'm ordering another Maxii bulb, the price has gone up a little, they are now 66.00 shipped. Also going to pay close attention to the brightness difference on my reserve bulb that's in now vs. the Maxii after it arrives and I'll update on that comparison. But man, what a difference in brightness, that Maxii was done! Effected sharpness and overall PQ more than I thought it would.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019RORN7C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#291 ·
Also going to pay close attention to the brightness difference on my reserve bulb that's in now vs. the Maxii after it arrives and I'll update on that comparison. But man, what a difference in brightness, that Maxii was done! Effected sharpness and overall PQ more than I thought it would.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019RORN7C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the update. I recently replaced a genuine lamp with 3000 hrs with a CTLAMP ($45 from Amazon complete module https://www.amazon.com/CTLAMP-Proje...8&qid=1503119994&sr=8-2&keywords=ctlamp+w1070 ).

I used an app for my Android phone called "light Meter" to measure the LUX with the phone held up in front of the screen where a white area was. (Actually the Netflix logo on my Roku). I'm not sure how to interpret the actual LUX numbers of 250 in front of my 122" image, but the new lamp measured almost exactly 20% brighter than the 3000hr lamp in this apples-to-apples test. The app is free, so if you want to get a percentage brightness figure the method seems sound.

#292 ·
I was going to try the CT Lamp because it was cheaper but ended up going with another from same seller because they have a 30 day return and 180 day warranty, which is 6 months and the bulb lasted just over a year so I figure that's pretty safe and should catch a defect bulb. I don't see a warranty on the CT Lamp.

#293 ·
My first CT Lamp module lasted 2500 hours, which is why I went with that one again. The color was actually correct as well, which was not true of an $80 ebay lamp that was decidedly greenish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.