BenQ W1080ST: How To Remove Dust Blobs? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-09-2013, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys. I've had my projector for months now, been working great with no issues. I recently noticed that I had a dust blob in my projected image. It is ONLY visible if the screen is black, or if I put the projector into "Econo Blank" mode, which is how I have been testing this issue since I decided to try and fix it.
This particular model has a plate on the top which is removable to access the bulb assembly. I have tried blowing out the whole thing with compressed air, but that actually made things worse each attempt.
I now have like 4 dust blobs. They are not on the lens itself and I can't seem to get rid of them frown.gif
They are NOT visible in Test Mode, but ARE visible when dark / black content is displayed.

Any hints / suggestions on this, or should I look into having the projector professionally cleaned? I haven't been able to find a service manual for this projector and am not sure what to do frown.gif
EmmaDarknet likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Since I initially posted, some developments have occurred. I thought about it a bit and have concluded the following:
If I got a dust blob during normal operation once, it will probably happen again later on. If it'll continue to happen, I want an "in house" solution to fixing this. I have found no specific guides for the W1080ST, but I HAVE found some cleaning guides for other projectors.
I have a photographic lens brush being delivered today, and I plan on (very carefully) disassembling my projector tonight and then clearing the light path. I'm guessing based on how the dust blobs perform that they're on a mirror or on the back of the lens. I'm going to try and document the process of opening & cleaning the projector, may post online depending on my results...
RLBURNSIDE likes this.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Dust Blobs are very unusual in DLP projectors since the path is partially sealed. I am wondering if it is something on the back of the lens
Old 12-06-2013, 04:36 AM

Liked: 11
Very interested in your results, especially if you documented it. I have the same issue with my W1070.

Will shoot you a PM if bumping this doesn't get your attention.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Well, that was months ago. Basically I tried and failed to "clean" my projector. I managed to mess it up and had to RMA it back to BenQ. Got a replacement which does not have blobs.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingram View Post

Very interested in your results, especially if you documented it. I have the same issue with my W1070.

Will shoot you a PM if bumping this doesn't get your attention.

Send it back to BenQ. There is something wrong here if your DLP projector has a dust blob this is a sealed path and I don't see how you could fix it yourself.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Yup! The long story short is "you can't".
Old 12-15-2014, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I just had this issue with my benq w1070. My projector is out of warranty so I decided to fix it myself. It was very easy to do. Remove the top panels of the projector. Once removed look at the top of the lens and you will see a small screw that holds a small 1/4 inch cover in place. When this cover is removed, you will have a small port to the dmd. What I did was used a vacuum and can of compressed air. I created a suction with the vacuum to suck out any dust in there. While sucking with the vacuum I shot short bursts of air with the compressed air the break free and other dust particles. I did this 3 times and now have no dust particles. It takes less than 5 minutes to do. Hope this helps somebody out there. I was ready to buy a new projector.

Last edited by spencerthomass; 12-15-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:51 PM

Liked: 2
Hi spencerthomass,

I have a benq w1070 thas has a large black blob on the image which I think is an insect that crawled inside (see attached image). I have attached an image of the inside of the project and was wondering if you could tell me if the screw you are referring to to get access to the DMD is the one I circled in green - would be great to know which one it is before I start pulling things apart.

cheers,

Peter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2261.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	441746   Click image for larger version

Name:	benq w1070 lens assembly.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	441754  
Old 12-27-2014, 09:08 PM

Liked: 2
Hi,

I'm posting this for anyone who happens on this thread for the same reason I did - dust blob in a Benq w1070. After getting hold of the service manual (can't post a link unfortunately) I worked out that the screw that spencerthomass is referring to is actually the one shown in my attached photo circled in green.

The photo of the projector that I used is from someone Google gallery on a breakdown of the projector. It's obvious now when I look at it as it is holding a small plate in place above where the DMD would be but I was thrown a bit because when I opened my projector the screw and plate were covered in black foam so was less obvious. I had to push the foam out of the way to get to the screw and remove the panel. After taking off the panel I did as suggested and gave a few squirts of compressed air (didn't vacuum but should have I guess) and the blob is now gone. My proj is still under warranty but I didn't want to have to send it away and wait for it to be fixed or a new one sent so was happy to find an easy solution - thanks spencerthomass!

Peter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	benq w1070 lens assembly.2.png
Views:	624
Size:	869.3 KB
ID:	445321  
monakh and maxleung like this.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:47 AM

Liked: 0
Hello, I registered to this forum due to problems with my Benq w1070. I have the same dust blobs and a lot of them. It's really disturbing me so I went and took the projector apart. I can't seem to find the dmd; or more accurately, I don't know what I'm looking for. I removed all the covers and tried to locate the problem. I would be very happy if anyone could provide me with more detailed instructions. I was able to find the small screw under the black foam, but do not know what to do know after that. Please, help me. It's cold in Finland and I don't have much else to do, but to watch movies =D
Old 12-28-2014, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Did you read the above posts??? Can't get any more clear than that. Look at the pics, locate that screw. Remove that cover. Use your vacuum if you have a hose attachment, and a can of compressed air. Hold the vacuum hose right over that area and use the compressed air to break the dust blobs loose.

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" Screen~Onkyo TX-NR3008(Pre/Pro)
Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Oppo BDP-103 ~ Xbox One
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas 2.2i (mains) & Veritas 2.0ic (center) ~ Veritas 2.1(Front Wides)
Energy RC-70 & CAT Tiburons(Surrounds)~ Sub 15" Diamond Audio Technology-iNuke 6000
Old 12-28-2014, 02:43 PM

Ok, I didn't realize that the cover is directly below that screw. Tried to pry the metal up under the screw, but I quess the black foam was the problem. Didn't want to remove all of it, because I wasn't sure that was the problem. Thank you for you help.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:22 PM

Liked: 10
This is strange. I have 50 screwdrivers in front of me. I can't seem to open the case via the four main screws. I'm not sure if it is "overly" tight or misaligned but I want to make sure I have right screw driver. Can any1 give me the correct name of screw driver to open case?
Old 01-01-2015, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 53
May require a torx driver. What model do you have? 1070 or 1075?

60" Panasonic Plasma ~ BenQ HT1075 / 92" Screen~Onkyo TX-NR3008(Pre/Pro)
Earthquake Sound Cinenova Grande Amplifier ~ Oppo BDP-103 ~ Xbox One
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista Tube DAC ~ Monster Cable Signature Series HTPS7000
Energy Veritas 2.2i (mains) & Veritas 2.0ic (center) ~ Veritas 2.1(Front Wides)
Energy RC-70 & CAT Tiburons(Surrounds)~ Sub 15" Diamond Audio Technology-iNuke 6000
Old 01-03-2015, 05:02 PM

I just have a whole lot of unlabeled screw drivers. I will go to the store to buy which ever I need but I just need to know which.

Though it looks like a standard phillips to me but I could be wrong I guess.

Last edited by eqzitara; 01-03-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 253
BenQ W1080ST: How To Remove Dust Blobs?

A word to the wise: while this cleaning procedure is really rather simple, always exercise caution when dealing with compressed air on optics.

Compressed air canisters frequently release liquid (and I've even seen a case where one sprayed out dust-like particles!): so always test on a glass, external surface (like a regular bathroom mirror), holding the canister in the same orientation (right-side-up or up-side-down) that you'll be cleaning with.

Only after making 100% sure that nothing other than air is expelled, proceed to the actual optics.

This is a lesson I've learned the hard way in the past
Iron Maiden likes this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!

Last edited by kreeturez; 01-09-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can confirm that the black screw securing the DMD on the W1070 is indeed Phillips. Took it all apart today.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:17 AM

Liked: 11
Can anyone tell me where this is on the W1080ST? My projector has been replaced once (after initial purchase). BenQ is sounding like they want me to ship this to them to be repaired. I don't want to be without a projector for soo long if its a "simple" dust issue. The images for the W1070 don't match the W1080. I initially had a piece of "fuzz" that was showing up on an all white screen. I blew air inside the projector housing (not compressed but a pc cleaner electric blower) and that removed the fuzz, but as I already had dust particles, now I have more.

This is obviously a design flaw in the W1080ST/1070 models as I've already dealt with it before. It is not a gradual issue, the "replacement" I received from amazon after buying a new one had it just days after. Which was the exact issue the first one bought had.

Thanks!

UPDATE! BenQ Support Spilled the Beans; however, true or untrue...

Quote:
A normal repair means you will get your unit back once it is done with repair. These failures were the fault of the DLP chip that TI provided to all projector manufacturers. We apologize for the inconvenience.

We really can’t say with 100% certainty that it won’t happen again. I can, however, say that it is highly unlikely to happen again. Since this is an issue with all DLP chips that Texas Instruments made. Let us know how to proceed. We will definitely repair it for you.

Last edited by Klownicle; 01-26-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:39 AM

Please help this newbie! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Gulliver View Post
Hi spencerthomass,

I have a benq w1070 thas has a large black blob on the image which I think is an insect that crawled inside (see attached image). I have attached an image of the inside of the project and was wondering if you could tell me if the screw you are referring to to get access to the DMD is the one I circled in green - would be great to know which one it is before I start pulling things apart.

cheers,

Peter.
I have the same dust problem, and I'm trying to fix it. But I can't even figure out how to open the top cover. Can anyone tell me how you open the cover and get to that green circled screw?

I am really really bad when it comes to mechanical stuff, but I'm left with no choice because I'm in a foreign country where I don't even speak the language. So I can't take it to Benq support. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:51 AM

I have a BenQ W1300 which I purchased May 2014 and have continually had issues with dust blobs. About 2 weeks after I purchased it I had the projector replaced with another W1300. Shortly after I got the replacement I started getting dust blobs again but endured it. Early May this year I couldn't endure it any longer and sent an email to BenQ mentioning about the fault with the DLP chips as discussed in this thread. Last week I received the projector back and, after 4 days of use, the dust blobs are back.

This is really starting to annoy me as once you see it, it's really hard trying not to fixate on it. I highly doubt that any attempt was made by BenQ to replace the DLP and that they probably just blew the dust out and hoped for the best. There was no returning documentation that came back with the projector to say what work was performed on it.

Can anyone confirm if in fact these DLP chips have a fault with them and if BenQ can actually confirm that they have a supply of DLP's that are not susceptible to getting dust in the light path? Unfortunately it looks like I am going to have to get in contact with them again. This is a real hassle because, once again, I have to dismount the projector from the ceiling.

Tags
Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector