BenQ W1080ST: How To Remove Dust Blobs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-09-2013, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys. I've had my projector for months now, been working great with no issues. I recently noticed that I had a dust blob in my projected image. It is ONLY visible if the screen is black, or if I put the projector into "Econo Blank" mode, which is how I have been testing this issue since I decided to try and fix it.
This particular model has a plate on the top which is removable to access the bulb assembly. I have tried blowing out the whole thing with compressed air, but that actually made things worse each attempt.
I now have like 4 dust blobs. They are not on the lens itself and I can't seem to get rid of them frown.gif
They are NOT visible in Test Mode, but ARE visible when dark / black content is displayed.

Any hints / suggestions on this, or should I look into having the projector professionally cleaned? I haven't been able to find a service manual for this projector and am not sure what to do frown.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-11-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Since I initially posted, some developments have occurred. I thought about it a bit and have concluded the following:
If I got a dust blob during normal operation once, it will probably happen again later on. If it'll continue to happen, I want an "in house" solution to fixing this. I have found no specific guides for the W1080ST, but I HAVE found some cleaning guides for other projectors.
I have a photographic lens brush being delivered today, and I plan on (very carefully) disassembling my projector tonight and then clearing the light path. I'm guessing based on how the dust blobs perform that they're on a mirror or on the back of the lens. I'm going to try and document the process of opening & cleaning the projector, may post online depending on my results...
post #3 of 7 Old 07-12-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Dust Blobs are very unusual in DLP projectors since the path is partially sealed. I am wondering if it is something on the back of the lens
post #4 of 7 Old 12-06-2013, 04:36 AM

Liked: 11
Very interested in your results, especially if you documented it. I have the same issue with my W1070.

Will shoot you a PM if bumping this doesn't get your attention.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-06-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Well, that was months ago. Basically I tried and failed to "clean" my projector. I managed to mess it up and had to RMA it back to BenQ. Got a replacement which does not have blobs.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-06-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingram View Post

Very interested in your results, especially if you documented it. I have the same issue with my W1070.

Will shoot you a PM if bumping this doesn't get your attention.

Send it back to BenQ. There is something wrong here if your DLP projector has a dust blob this is a sealed path and I don't see how you could fix it yourself.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-06-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Yup! The long story short is "you can't".
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread