Optoma HD70 fan suddenly sounds like a lawnmower - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-10-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Turned on my HD70 the other day and after an hour or so the fan started to sound like a lawnmower. The picture was fine so I do not think it was a color wheel. Can this be fixed for a reasonable or is it time to get a new projector? Where would I get it fixed in the DC area? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-11-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

Turned on my HD70 the other day and after an hour or so the fan started to sound like a lawnmower. The picture was fine so I do not think it was a color wheel. Can this be fixed for a reasonable or is it time to get a new projector? Where would I get it fixed in the DC area? Thanks!

It could still be the color wheel making the noise. Obtaining Optoma parts for a DIY is a formidable task.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/projectors/1182979-noisey-fan-optoma-hd70.html

The HD70 is 7 year old tech and is probably not worth the cost to repair. Since you are fine with DLP projectors you may want to investigate the BenQ projectors so popular in this forum.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 3 Old 07-11-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Could it still be the color wheel if the image looks fine on the screen? I found a place in CA that will replace a color wheel for $200. I may consider than as my bulb is fine and I have an unused spare. If I decide to get a new projector, I the Benq W1070 looks great but it is going to be too short a throw for my room so I am probably going to look into the HD20 or HD25. They have a similar throw, but not as much offset so I may need an extension for my mount. Thanks for the response!

Edit: turns out it was the color wheel. It can be fixed for $125 parts, $85 labor, +40 shipping. So $250 total. Not sure I am brave enough to try replacing it myself. So I guess I have a decision to make.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd70 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Optoma Hd20 Dlp 1080p Home Theater Projector , Optoma Hd25 Hd 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 720p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page