General question about projector prices - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 50
So, I've been in the market for a projector, but am in no rush as my basement hasn't even began to be finished yet. I was just wondering when projector prices start to drop for 2012 year models (i.e epson 5020, sony hw50, etc). I'm wondering if I should just wait it out for 2013 models to hit to pick up a 2012 model. I've been tossing around the idea of picking up a 2011 model (hw30, 5010, or something along those lines) but figure maybe I should wait? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I think this is the time of the year the prices drop. The new stuff comes out in a couple of months. For instance the Sharp Z30000 was introduced in 2012 an had an original MSRP of $4999. Last week a new one sold on Ebay at auction for $1400 something. This may not be a good example as I think Sharp is having some difficulty financially. Other projectors including BenQ, Mitsubishi and Sony are also selling well below the original release price.. i.e. They use to only be discussed in the over $3000 forum but now street at or below $2000..

So if you are not ready now, wait till next summer!
Also consider Used. As is with cars, the value drops big time after a year and at that point any bugs are worked out.. Just do suffice research to know what you are looking for and what price you should be paying when shopping used!
AVS classified is a good place to shop http://www.avsforum.com/f/218/display-devices
CheYC likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

I think this is the time of the year the prices drop. The new stuff comes out in a couple of months. For instance the Sharp Z30000 was introduced in 2012 an had an original MSRP of $49999. Last week a new one sold on Ebay at auction for $1400 something. This may not be a good example as I think Sharp is having some difficulty financially. Other projectors including BenQ, Mitsubishi and Sony are also selling well below the original release price.. i.e. They use to only be discussed in the over $3000 forum but now street at or below $2000..

So if you are not ready now, wait till next summer!
Also consider Used. As is with cars, the value drops big time after a year and at that point any bugs are worked out.. Just do suffice research to know what you are looking for and what price you should be paying when shopping used!
AVS classified is a good place to shop http://www.avsforum.com/f/218/display-devices

Wow a 97% discount!! :P

Thanks for suggestion though. Definitely not going to wait until next summer unfortunately, probably more around Christmas time. I'll keep an eye on the classifieds here for sure. I've always been a little weary buying electronics off eBay, but I guess as long as I do my research...

post #4 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I had one to many nines in that price.. $4999 rolleyes.gif
post #5 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I know that there have been some woot deals for the Sharp z30000 as well but for $1400 that is a great deal. I see some deals on the classifieds for a Panny and JVC. These look like good prices but not entirely sure.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 870
it's very rare that buying electronics early is ever a good value. next year's models will be better, or cheaper, or both...fact.

if you are going to want a projector this winter, then buy now. if you likely won't need one until next summer or later, wait. I imagine next year's discounts might be even better with more 4k projectors hitting the market. might be similar to what 720p displays were like once 1080p got popular.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #7 of 10 Old 07-11-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

it's very rare that buying electronics early is ever a good value. next year's models will be better, or cheaper, or both...fact.

if you are going to want a projector this winter, then buy now. if you likely won't need one until next summer or later, wait. I imagine next year's discounts might be even better with more 4k projectors hitting the market. might be similar to what 720p displays were like once 1080p got popular.

I guess I do see your point... i.e the Panny ST60 this year was just as good or better than the VT50 last year, and for the same price as a normal ST model.

I still don't know what I'm going to do.. I have 3 grand set aside for a projector and screen and I almost have too much time to mull it over.

post #8 of 10 Old 07-12-2013, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

I guess I do see your point... i.e the Panny ST60 this year was just as good or better than the VT50 last year, and for the same price as a normal ST model.

I still don't know what I'm going to do.. I have 3 grand set aside for a projector and screen and I almost have too much time to mull it over.

that was almost the exact example I was going to use, with the kuros being about the only recent example I could think of as being when buying early could have been a smart move. or if next year Panasonic drops the st model line to try and stop some bleeding, then buying an st60 might be a good choice.

I don't think it's quite as obvious with projectors though, still lots of competition, and I don't think there's a 'clear' winner for picture quality. I personally still see lcos and dlp as slightly ahead of lcd, but I haven't written off any of them. but each one seems to make incremental improvements every year, making buying early almost a sure mistake. year to year can be tricky though, I mean I've heard the Epson 5010 is almost the same as the 5020, but eventually the 5020 will be 'last years model' and likely the same price or cheaper as the 5010 is now. so the way I see it, you're pretty safe if it'll be over a year, less than a year is tricky

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #9 of 10 Old 07-13-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I'm in the same situation as the original poster. Except that my basement project is going on two years and has a few more months to go.

I have a more modest budget for the HT portion (as in, as little $$$ as possible). Last year I was sold on the Acer 9500, but stifled the urge to pull the trigger. Glad I did, as the new BenQ 1070 is cheaper and, in some ways, better (the throw is shorter, which helps in my small basement den). I was also considering building my own Center Stage AT screen. I need an AT screen as the screen will be wall-to-wall (yeah, it's that small).

Fast forward a few months and now the BenQ is showing up discounted now and then to under $900, and the latest craze in DIY AT screens is spandex milliskin ($50 gets you enough for a 120" screen).

Ceiling mounting of the projector says that the BenQ is the most flexible for me. Yet, if I wait a couple months, we might see a new BenQ W1500 with wireless and frame interpolation, both of which I can use. So.....when in doubt, wait....
post #10 of 10 Old 07-13-2013, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post

I'm in the same situation as the original poster. Except that my basement project is going on two years and has a few more months to go.

I have a more modest budget for the HT portion (as in, as little $$$ as possible). Last year I was sold on the Acer 9500, but stifled the urge to pull the trigger. Glad I did, as the new BenQ 1070 is cheaper and, in some ways, better (the throw is shorter, which helps in my small basement den). I was also considering building my own Center Stage AT screen. I need an AT screen as the screen will be wall-to-wall (yeah, it's that small).

Fast forward a few months and now the BenQ is showing up discounted now and then to under $900, and the latest craze in DIY AT screens is spandex milliskin ($50 gets you enough for a 120" screen).

Ceiling mounting of the projector says that the BenQ is the most flexible for me. Yet, if I wait a couple months, we might see a new BenQ W1500 with wireless and frame interpolation, both of which I can use. So.....when in doubt, wait....
Yeah....I was in that situation as well. But, I jumped on that Newegg Acer H6510BD sale last month for $630 and did my own 140" screen using spandex material for $80 total cost and for this modest outlay in cash, I've got a great HT that looks as great as my friends setup and he spent $4,500.00.!!! rolleyes.gif
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread - 5020ub by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page