Shelf Mount Nightmare - Any Suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-12-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I realize I probably should have just spent extra to get something full lens shift abilities, but I'm a sucker for a deal and trying to make this work.

I have a shelf mount BENQ W1070 I'm trying to get working. Want it to throw about a 125" diagonal image from around 14 feet back (distance from my electric screen to the lens). The problem is, I've got an 11 inch drop in the ceiling height where the shelf is due to ductwork. I've got the projector literally up right against the top of the drop, upside down (using rubber feet on the top and flipping it over), but it STILL is projecting an image way further down than I'd have liked.

I considered doing a tilt to have the front slightly angled up to project to the height I need, but it seems to be wrecking the geometry. I assume this is the case for any projector that you are trying to level-shelf mount and my own fault.

Before I hire an electrician to run an electrical outlet on the front of the drop so I can just shelf or ceiling mount it up there, any suggestions? The image here (Picasso-esque I realise) shows the current situation.

The yellow lines show what it's currently doing and the green line shows what I WANT it to do.

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

The top of the image right now, with the center of the projector lens sitting at 14" from the true ceiling proper (just 3 inches down from the top of the ductwork drop), yet the top of the image as it hits the screen is even more severe, at 19 inches from the ceiling proper. So it's actually angling downward (which may be because the 4 rubber feet I have on top are even and I need to make the back 2 shorter).

Thoughts? Or should I just have electrical run to the front of the drop, ceiling mount it there, and be done with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-12-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Use a digital keystone in the menus to correct the geometry.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-12-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Do it right or don't do it..
If the projector can be moved forward and still create the image size you need and place it on the screen without tilting the projector then do it and be done. You will drive yourself nuts wondering.. is that from the keystone.. see that distortion.. I should have moved it forward.. why didn't I just do it correctly the first time?? eek.gif

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-12-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I'm a little stuck as it looks like the projector will be TOO close if I move it past the overhang (I lose almost 5 feet of distance). Plus I just had a electrical guy take a quick peek and he said running power up there would be tough anyway, without ripping up a lot of walls.

What I need to figure out now is how I can get it even closer to the ceiling I guess. I imagine I need to introduce SOME tilt if I am shelf mounting this, as it's got feet on the bottom for when it's running upright from a low mounted shelf. I need to put similar depth of feet on the top of it for when I flip it over, I imagine. That might fix it right there and I assume should be the default angle. I wish it wasn't so close to the ceiling so I could just put a level on top of it.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The 1070 is made to be mounted 3"above top of the screen. It may not look good if u start tilting
post #6 of 8 Old 07-16-2013, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that, I actually had no idea that it was made to be mounted 3" above the screen...So same goes for those who are using it on the ground (few if anyone I guess)...3 inches below the screen? It had the back feet on there for when it's right-side up which led me to believe it was okay to tilt it. Crud.

I have it close to lined up now, but now I'm wondering if I am sacrificing picture to do it.

At this point I have the center of the lens about 15" down (lens shift all the way up) but the top of the screen is only 10" down. It's about 14 feet back from the screen projecting a 125" image at 1x zoom.

I'm getting a minor trapezoidal effect towards the bottom (ever so slightly pinched in).

Mods, feel free to merge threads: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482003/screen-grid-lineup-help
post #7 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post

... which led me to believe it was okay to tilt it. Crud.

I have it close to lined up now, but now I'm wondering if I am sacrificing picture to do it.

If you have to wonder if the picture quality is being sacrificed, then any degradation in the picture quality is way too small to stress over.

Quote:
I'm getting a minor trapezoidal effect towards the bottom (ever so slightly pinched in).

Use the digital keystone correction. Using keystone to correct an "ever so slightly" geometry variance isn't going to affect picture quality enough to worry about.

I have been using a rear shelf mount for years which requires more keystone correction than what you are describing. It hasn't affected my enjoyment of the projector in the least.

David
post #8 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Well, as they say, "you've made your bed", just do what you can to make it work, until you get into the new digs. Then do it the correct way next time. It's still a great pj, so enjoy it.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page