Had epson 8350, sold it last year...in the market again-HELP please! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-12-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey so two years ago I bought the epson 8350 and a cheap screen from amazon. It worked well enough. Picture was bright enough that I could watch tv in my living room and use the projector in daylight. I sold the projector when I moved.

Now, the time is here. I'm moving into a new place and am feeling the fever again. I keep wanting to buy an LED tv-55-65 inch...but was thinking about projectors as well.

Has anything changed since my 8350 was king for the price?

How do the new offerings compare?-optoma, benq, and others.

I have no brand loyalty-though I had ZERO issues with the epson....

I'd ideally like my new projector or tv to be a significant improvement over the 8350. I have a little more cash to spend, but i'm looking in the UNDER 2k range.

How about buying a refurb epson 5010 UB? significant difference vs the 8350?

Here's my setup:

Large, bright room, with cathedral ceilings, lots of windows. Need projector to be 1080p for PS3, blueray,etc. It would be used daily as a TV and almost nightly for Call of DUTY DUTY. Things that bother me=light black levels. The 8350 was OKAY in this department for me...I recognize i didnt have ideal conditions for a projector and still dont, but i'd like my next one to be an improvement in almost every way. Deeper black levels, higher contrast, better brightness. Oh and i could care less about 3d-might use it once if i had it, but other things are more important to me.

Any ideas or thoughts? I've started reading the reviews but am a bit overwhelmed.

Thanks1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-13-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Can someone help a little?
post #3 of 9 Old 07-14-2013, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
For a large bright room and gaming, hmm....

The Epson 5010/6010 and 5020/6020 has a bit of gaming lag if you are going to do serious FPS gaming and care about lag. For regular gaming, should be ok. The refurbished Epson 5010 is a good deal at its price point. For movies, a B-STOCK or refurbished RS-45 or RS-46 could be a good thing (I would go for the refurb RS-46 if mainly focusing on the image for movies and single player non-competetive gaming).

Unfortunately due to 3D capabilities, the focus has not really been on improving BLACK levels of projectors by the MFR's, instead the blacks have often been getting worse (other than on the higher-end units, over 2k units). For the sub-$2000 DLP's, the blacks aren't great, but they are ok.

Otherwise, if black levels aren't the priority, then take a look at the Benq w1070 (placement flexibility is a bit strict). The blacks will look about the same as the Epson 8350, at first they will be worse since the w1070 is brighter (can fix that with an ND Filter). However, overall contrast wise I think the Benq wins over the Epson, as I think LCD has a tendency to look washed out in some scenes (unless we are talking the Epson 5010). There is also the Sharp xvz-30000, which can be found at some VENDOR for under $2000 at times, woot deal I think. The Sharp will do blacks better than the 8350.

You might want to wait until some of the newer projectors come out, I think some of the newer DLP's come out from between now to Nov, whereas most higher end projectors start shipping from Sep to Dec (Sony and Panny's earlier, JVC's and others later).

There is no ONE projector to rule them all, just gotta decide what is most important (gaming, daytime viewing, nighttime movies, etc...).

So I would say for me, I prefer the JVC's, but for you hard to say due to budget concerns. I know at times you can get some pretty good deals on some refurbished JVC projectors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #4 of 9 Old 07-14-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Remember that with the projector turned off however bright or dark you screen appears to you will be the best you can ever hope to achieve for the black level of the projected image under those same lighting conditions. So when you have room lighting involved you will never get ideal black levels regardless of how good the projector is. Note there are some screens (such as the 'Black Diamond' screens) that are offered to specifically help in rooms with uncontrolled lighting. At night and with the room lights turned off your current Epson 8350 should give decent black levels if you have used the projector's brightness control to correctly set the black level. This should be as good as you would expect to get from any of the low cost (i.e., in the price range of the 8350) DLP projectors, but a notch or two below the performance of the better performing Epson 'UB" models (e.g., 5020UB) and the JVC and Sony LCoS based projectors. With the more upscale DLP projectors the Sharp XV-Z30000 (around $2K) is probably what you should consider for getting a step up in both performance (when viewing in a dark room) and features from your current Epson 8350. For a projector with some very bright modes, for viewing with some room lights turned on, the Epson 5010 and newer 5020 do offer some high output modes that with a few adjustment offer decent color accuracy but these Epson models have enough display lag that you might object to useng them for gaming. The BenQ W7000 (soon to be replaced with the W7500) offers some fairly bright modes and fairly low display lag (approx. 35 ms) making it better for gaming than the Epson projectors (more info HERE)

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #5 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Epson 5020 without a doubt if Gaming isn't a issue.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #6 of 9 Old 07-16-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

So should i wait for the benq w7500 or buy the epson 5010? Any downside in buying the 5010ub vs the 5020? From what i've read, they seem pretty similar. I play call of duty and didnt have any issues with the 8350 as far as lag goes.... I'm not hardcore by any means, but sometimes we play seriously. I'm assuming the 5010 would be fine for this? Its just hard to pass up a 5010ub for 1599-Granted it only seems to come with a short bulb replacement warrenty.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-16-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
The 5010 and 5020 are very similar, the newer model has the dynamic iris in 3d mode, different 3d glasses signal as their now rf instead of ir, slight improvement for gaming lag, and slightly brighter. I've seen a couple of posters have problems with the refurb 5010's they bought and the lag might be just irritating enough for it to be an issue on a fps type game, so the older model might not be a good choice for you? If you can buy one that you can easily return if the lag is to much, then maybe? If you can swing the price of the Sharp XV-Z30000, it does handle fast motion pretty well, vs the Epsons, it might be a better choice.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-18-2013, 03:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Yeah...you cannot compare the gaming performance of the 8350 with the 5010-20 units. Or to almost any other projector really, it was / is that good.

A good, bright DLP such as the BenQ w1070 only has 24ms lag and the money you save there can go toward a decent Mfg or DIY Screen. Just because it lists out for under $1k doesn't mean it should be discounted out of hand. Any 8350 owner can appreciate performance that is higher than cost would seen to indicate as being possible.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #9 of 9 Old 07-18-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvruggiero View Post

So should i wait for the benq w7500 or buy the epson 5010? Any downside in buying the 5010ub vs the 5020? From what i've read, they seem pretty similar. I play call of duty and didnt have any issues with the 8350 as far as lag goes.... I'm not hardcore by any means, but sometimes we play seriously. I'm assuming the 5010 would be fine for this? Its just hard to pass up a 5010ub for 1599-Granted it only seems to come with a short bulb replacement warrenty.

We don't know what the price will be on the W7500, but my guess is the 'street price' will be well above the current street price on the W7000, which is essentially being sold at clearance prices. I would expect the W7500 to initially be sold at prices similar to the current prices for the Epson 5020UB e.g., near $2.5K).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson 5010 E Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector With Wirelesshd , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page