Urgent! Optoma ml550 or ml500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-12-2013, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I accidently ordered the optoma ml550 instead of the airport it comes in tomorrow and my question is, will the ml550 actually out perform the ml500 on at 100in diagonally or am I better of refusing the delivery and getting the ml500? Mainly using for movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-01-2013, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I think you will be fine. I actually was debating between the two. I want a low cost projector for my bedroom ( my good 3d projector is in my theater room) The 550 is actually 50 lumens brighter. IMO the brighter the better. That way you won't have to watch in total darkness but LED lumens are brighter than bulb lumens so both could stand up to a little light. The main two things that jumped out at me are sound outputs and contrast ratio....the 550 has a 10,000:1 contrast ratio which is way higher than the 3000:1 ratio on the 500.....also with the 550 it has audio outputs...I know thats null and void if you hit your receiver first but some people want to hit the projector first...if thats the case then the 550 will be better because the 500 does not have an audio out. I feel as though overall the 550 will work out better for you....the higher contrast and higher lumens should translate to a better picture for your movies. But one thing to keep in mind the 550 has an external power supply so you will have to hide a power brick.....the 500 on the other hand has the supply built in so you only have to worry about hiding a regular power cord. Not a brick, Hope that helps.

Mancave System:
Mains: RF-7IIs
Center: RC-62 (need to upgrade)
Surrounds: RF-82s
Display: Optoma 1080p 3d projector with 120" Screen
Misc: PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Roku 3, Harman receiver, Wii, Blu Ray player
post #3 of 4 Old 08-01-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey thanks a lot for the reply! I actually ended up getting the Benq 770st. I am still looking into a projector for the bedroom. Leaning towards the 550 cause when I did use it I loved it. I really like the Idea of LED. Reason I went with the benq for the living room is well, the specs. bulb replacements if going generic seem resaonable priced and I dont plan on this bulb dying out or at least a year. All in all, very happy with the benq, have it ceiling mounted, with a 120" pull down. Beautiful picture. Never had a chance to compare it to the 550 against a screen as I returned the 550 in order to get a refund for the benq. What do you think about a completely dark room (bedroom, only has one window) for watching movies at night against a painted wall. slight sheen on white paint give a good enough gain for an even cheaper LED projector? trying to keep it cheap, not looking for quality. I suppose my question is, in a completely dark room will a cheap $300 LED projector be decent quality or am I better off saving my pennies for something else? I would go with another DLP but, id rather only have to change one bulb a year rather than two. again thanks a lot for the reply, very informative and I appreciate it!
post #4 of 4 Old 08-02-2013, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willieusmc View Post

Hey thanks a lot for the reply! I actually ended up getting the Benq 770st. I am still looking into a projector for the bedroom. Leaning towards the 550 cause when I did use it I loved it. I really like the Idea of LED. Reason I went with the benq for the living room is well, the specs. bulb replacements if going generic seem resaonable priced and I dont plan on this bulb dying out or at least a year. All in all, very happy with the benq, have it ceiling mounted, with a 120" pull down. Beautiful picture. Never had a chance to compare it to the 550 against a screen as I returned the 550 in order to get a refund for the benq. What do you think about a completely dark room (bedroom, only has one window) for watching movies at night against a painted wall. slight sheen on white paint give a good enough gain for an even cheaper LED projector? trying to keep it cheap, not looking for quality. I suppose my question is, in a completely dark room will a cheap $300 LED projector be decent quality or am I better off saving my pennies for something else? I would go with another DLP but, id rather only have to change one bulb a year rather than two. again thanks a lot for the reply, very informative and I appreciate it!

I think that depends on how big of an image you want and what sources you will be feeding it.....Most of the cheaper LED projectors give up a lot of Lumens.....Some are 300 lumens....others are as low as 95-100 lumens which they say is good for up to a 80" screen.....So you will lose brightness but if you keep the screen small...say around 60" then it should be bright enough in a darkened room at night. Another thing that allows them to be cheaper is native resolution.....some of the cheaper ones are only WVGA (854x480)....or in others words they are not natively HD.....so even though they have HDMI if you feed it an HD source from a HD cable box and Blu Ray player then yes it will show but it won't be as clear as getting a unit that has native hd support of at least 720p.....and since WVGA isn't a native widescreen format ALL your hd content will have the black bars above and below the picture.....they may have a stretch mode on the projectors that will fill the screen but this will hurt quality even more......now if you're only hooking up a DVD player or a standard definition cable box then the image quality really won't matter IMO. So if possible I would stick with at least a WXGA projector.....Such as the ML500 you orginally wanted.....with the release of the 550 the 500 is a little cheaper online.....I see a lot of listings on ebay for around $350......Only $50 more than you wanted to spend and you will still get the bright 500 lumens which may seems like overkill in a dark room but you can always turn down the brightness.....if it isn't bright enough then you're stuck......plus you'll also get the HD resolution. I know you said you don't want to replace 2 bulbs a year but honestly with it being on your bedroom I doubt you will watch more than 4 hours of movies on it a day.....I know hours may seem like they come around quickly but they actually don't.....My projector is only rated for 2000-3000 hours max.....I only made it to the 2000 hour mark but it literally took me close to 2 years to reach that mark......and thats with me using it as my primary tv after work. Averaging out to 5 hours a day....mixture of movies, cable and gaming.....not counting the weekends that I'm home all day....the projector gets at least 12 hours of runtime on those days......likewise I may have a couple of days every month where I don't feel like sitting up front so the projector doesn't get turned on....even so for the most part its seeing 45 hours a week.....with some weeks only seeing half of that...even so the bulbs still last well over a year.....I replaced my current bulb in october and its at 237 hours.....9 months later.....so likewise even with your main unit I doubt you'll watch it consistently everyday. So the bulbs should last well over a year.....so you may be able to get a bulb based unit for the bedroom too and not have to change it for 2 or 3 years. But Optoma 720p bulb projectors will cost around the same as the ML500.......As far as the wall.....you should be fine. IMO screens do help with quality and contrast but the wall should come close. I was projecting onto a brown wall when I first got my setup and the pic looked great.....in my case the screen helped it out even more.....with you already having a white wall the difference may not be so big. Hope that helps.

Mancave System:
Mains: RF-7IIs
Center: RC-62 (need to upgrade)
Surrounds: RF-82s
Display: Optoma 1080p 3d projector with 120" Screen
Misc: PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Roku 3, Harman receiver, Wii, Blu Ray player
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Ml500 Led Projector
Gear in this thread - Ml500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page