Repair or Replace ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-13-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Sanyo Z5 i bought six years ago with 1300 hours on the bulb. The whites in the upper left hand screen started developing a pink hue to them a couple years ago. That has now spread all down the left hand side as well as the bottom of the screen. I know the bulb needs replacing but not sure if its worth it if its the Red LCD panel thats on the fritz. If it is the panel, how much would it cost to replace ? If its just the bulb causing the issue I'll get a new one. But if the panel replacements gonna cost me more than the projectors worth, i might as well just 'junk' it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost271 View Post

I have a Sanyo Z5 i bought six years ago with 1300 hours on the bulb. The whites in the upper left hand screen started developing a pink hue to them a couple years ago. That has now spread all down the left hand side as well as the bottom of the screen. I know the bulb needs replacing but not sure if its worth it if its the Red LCD panel thats on the fritz. If it is the panel, how much would it cost to replace ? If its just the bulb causing the issue I'll get a new one. But if the panel replacements gonna cost me more than the projectors worth, i might as well just 'junk' it.

My guess is that you need to clean and blow out the panels. Generally when a panel goes its the blue one or the blue polarizer and you get a an expanding or yellowish or greenish tint. Your problem isn't the lamp. If one of the panels has failed it will be too costly to replace and align it

Bohanna
post #3 of 4 Old 07-14-2013, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the reply. I called Sanyo/Panasonic tech support and the guy was essentially useless with the info he gave me. For me to ship my projector in for an assesment (not including shipping) was either going to be $130 or $395. Then i would be charged for parts and labour. So right off the bat I'm paying about $160 in shipping fees and possibly another $400 just to be looked at. $560 without fixing anything isnt worth it.
I cleaned the panels before when i first noticed it a few years back. Seems that its getting worse and annoying while watching movies ( especially scenes with snow ). I was about to get a Sony HW-50 but the wife put the kibash on that. 'Fix the one you have. You hardly watch the one you have anymore. ' Yeah..... Because of the annoying pink hue !!!!!
It be better just to buy another $1500 projector without 3D than to continue with this one. My daughter and I have Movie Night once a week and its not as enjoyable for me seeing that all the time.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-14-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
REPLACE REPLACE REPLACE...

Any modern projector will blow away the image that the Sanyo z5 provides. Don't put money into that old projector. Heck, there are probably people on this forum that might send you a free one they have just laying around. I have one not used for years just sitting here, but it has a polarizer issue, though not terribly noticeable.

A $400 used Viewsonic Pro8200 blows away the Sanyo z5. Heck, IMO, the Acer 720p DLP's also beat them, or the Benq w710st.

Or spend more and get you a Benq w1070 or something. All these make the Sanyo z5 look like yesterday's news. You can find better projectors for $300 to $400 used, or $500 to $900 new.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page