Need advice on how much my projector is worth. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-13-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am trying to sell an Epson 8500ub with 1529 hours on the bulb in the classified section. I wanted to get opinions on what people might think it's worth?

I haven't received much activity on it for the short time it has been listed. Hard to judge the value of projectors sometimes.

You can see link to it in my signature for the listing.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-14-2013, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
It is not worth $1200.

To an informed buyer, it is worth about $500 to $700 (though most buyers of used PJ's are not well informed), but you might find someone to pay $800 to $950 if you wait long enough and sell it on Ebay or something. Personally, if trying to sell it in these forums, I would list it no higher than $795 and just take the best offer.

You can get a MFR refurbished Epson 5010 for about $1600 and it comes with a warranty, that is why the 8500ub is only worth about $700 or so. I've seen used 8700ub's go for only $800 to $1,200, and 8500ub's go for $600 to $1000 (bigger range on the 8500ub's cause they are older).

You can also get a B-Stock JVC HD-250 for about $1300 or so, which makes it tough to sell an older Epson for more than $600 to $1000.

Why the huge range?

Well because it just depends on how fast you want to sell it, I'm giving you a semi-fast price to sell it at. If you want to sit on it for 3-6 months, then you might be able to get $800 to $995.
Threefiddie likes this.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 8 Old 07-14-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I fully understand what you are saying. I have posted it on eBay now as well to try and get more attention

post #4 of 8 Old 07-14-2013, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

It is not worth $1200.

To an informed buyer, it is worth about $500 to $700 (though most buyers of used PJ's are not well informed), but you might find someone to pay $800 to $950 if you wait long enough and sell it on Ebay or something. Personally, if trying to sell it in these forums, I would list it no higher than $795 and just take the best offer.

You can get a MFR refurbished Epson 5010 for about $1600 and it comes with a warranty, that is why the 8500ub is only worth about $700 or so. I've seen used 8700ub's go for only $800 to $1,200, and 8500ub's go for $600 to $1000 (bigger range on the 8500ub's cause they are older).

You can also get a B-Stock JVC HD-250 for about $1300 or so, which makes it tough to sell an older Epson for more than $600 to $1000.

Why the huge range?

Well because it just depends on how fast you want to sell it, I'm giving you a semi-fast price to sell it at. If you want to sit on it for 3-6 months, then you might be able to get $800 to $995.

but be careful, cause in 6 months the new projectors will be on the market, and it'll be worth even less...

I don't know anything about pricing a used projector, but speaking from a buyers point of view, if I were shopping, there's no way i'd pay more than about 50% of whatever I could buy it for new(at this time, not when it was first released), and if it's not currently available anywhere, i'm not interested at all. we're talking about a technology that has gone from non-existant to pretty refined in just the last 10 or so years. almost every year presents a noticeable improvement, and without being that knowledgeable I simply assume any projector 2 or 3 model years old is basically obsolete and worthless.

when I replaced my projector a month ago, I never even considered selling the old one. but it's even a few more years old than the 8500

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #5 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm only selling it to help cushion the blow of a $4k hw50es seeing as it would never be used once I got the sony.

post #6 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 08:18 AM

You probably won't want to hear it, but based on sold listings, I'd expect $700 tops (Sold Listings for 8500ub).

Internet Certified Electrical Engineer
"I am just looking for an honest man."
post #7 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I would expect, as others have said, that $700 to $900 is realistic.

The lamp is quite likely nearing it's end. I never expect more than 2,000 hours from a lamp, so that's $300 someone will need to drop for a Epson branded lamp almost right away.

As well, you only show one image of the projector, so the reality of a sharp image, or great color are not shown. I have always found that to get best dollar, it helps to show the actual image the projector can produce with a good quality source like Blu-ray. Well worth 30 minutes of time to setup a tripod and take a couple of good photos.

I've sold a few projectors and have just accepted what the final price was. I would certainly try to lower the price here to $900 or less and then take the best offer over going to eBay and taking a huge hit on the price due to their cut.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-15-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3oris View Post

You probably won't want to hear it, but based on sold listings, I'd expect $700 tops (Sold Listings for 8500ub).

there is one that went couple weeks ago for $1100. Probably just timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

I would expect, as others have said, that $700 to $900 is realistic.

The lamp is quite likely nearing it's end. I never expect more than 2,000 hours from a lamp, so that's $300 someone will need to drop for a Epson branded lamp almost right away.

As well, you only show one image of the projector, so the reality of a sharp image, or great color are not shown. I have always found that to get best dollar, it helps to show the actual image the projector can produce with a good quality source like Blu-ray. Well worth 30 minutes of time to setup a tripod and take a couple of good photos.

I've sold a few projectors and have just accepted what the final price was. I would certainly try to lower the price here to $900 or less and then take the best offer over going to eBay and taking a huge hit on the price due to their cut.

I have video as proof. I also am in the middle of moving into a new house and currently living with my parents until we hopefully close, so I am not able to set it up for a current shot.

edit: forgot I had this shot. I can add it. Good point though. Thanks for the reminder.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8500 Ub Lcd Projector V11h337020
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page