Have a question about (potential?) projector image quality - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-14-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So right now I have an Epson 8350 with about 800 hours on the lamp and an 80" "cheapy" Elite screen I got from Amazon for like 75 bucks. I'm not going to sit here and say it's a bad image because it's not, I mean it looks perfectly fine for what it is. I guess the thing is before this I had a Panasonic Viera 55" plasma and there is definitely a pretty noticeable difference in image quality between the two.

I'm not trying to be unrealistic, I understand that this is probably not a fair comparison in terms of what each is capable of when it comes to overall image quality. I guess what I'm trying to figure out though is, is there anything I can do to make the image clarity/quality noticeably closer to a TV like that without spending thousands upon thousands of dollars on the projector/screen?

I'm willing to upgrade my projector and screen, but obviously everyone has a budget to stick to. Let's say that overall between screen and projector I was willing to spend around 3k. Could I get an upgraded picture quality to the point that it was very comparable to a TV like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-14-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Zoom the image down to 55" and see if it is the same..
Have you Calibrated the projector?
Is your screen in a room with Dark walls, ceiling and Floor?
post #3 of 4 Old 07-14-2013, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 566
I doubt the 8350 is getting those blacks quite as dark. that can have a huge impact on the overall picture.

seems like plasmas are just an order of magnitude cheaper than projectors. the 'best' plasmas are selling for 3-4k. projectors can easily get into the 10k and above range.

but I do think you should be able to get plasma quality in most regards for 3k. I recently bought a Samsung f8500, and it was so much nicer than my projector I had to upgrade that as well. ended up with a jvc x35(cost me about 3200 after taxes, but i'm in Canada) and I feel for how I view material, both provide similar picture quality.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #4 of 4 Old 07-16-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
You might consider a Darbee? for around $260, (open box). http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=obo-darblet&d=open-box-item---darbeevision-darblet-premium-hdmi-video-processor-dvp-5000-with-3d-support-%28darblet%29&sku=610370581537&utm_campaign=base&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_base

AVS here also sometimes have open box's as well. If you don't like/see an improvement, I think AVS allows you to send it back, only costing you the shipping.

and the thread, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399154/darbee-vision-darblet
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page