Any projectors that can be mounted mid height? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-14-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a ceiling fan smack dab in the middle of the ceiling but have a bookcase against the back wall that would be perfect for placing a projector. I was thinking of something like the Optoma HD25 but realize it can only be ceiling or table mounted. The screen has to be ceiling mounted (10 ft). I would need the projector to be high enough to not be blocked by people sitting in front of it...so maybe 5-6 ft off the ground. Any higher than 6 and the fan would get in the way. Are there any projectors out there that would work? I was thinking a 150" screen with the projector ~19 feet back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 05:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You need a projector w/ vertical lens shift. Most low cost FPJ's don't have it, or have enough of it.

What's you budget?

Edit: Here's a good starting point for your research. PC has a pretty good search feature.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&vls=1&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=&i=d&is=&sort=date&sz=15
post #3 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I modified the search to include a 17.5' lens to screen distance and a 150" diagonal, and keeping projectors under $2,500...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=500&p=2500&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&vls=1&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=17.5&i=d&is=150&sort=date&sz=15

It narrows the list to only 15 projectors which can do it. Several are not 3D projectors, so if that is a requirement, then you will need to check off that box, which will decrease the number even more.

If the true throw distance (lens to screen) is 19', then the BenQ W7000 gets added to the list and is likely the model that I would go with.

You get a couple more projectors if you go with a slightly smaller screen size...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=500&p=2500&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&vls=1&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=17.5&i=d&is=140&sort=date&sz=15

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 206
BenQ SH940.

It will come in at approx $2500.00
It has 4000 lumen w/50K:1 CR so it can run forever on Econo and still deliver a stupendous, 57 foot lambert LCD/LED-like Image at 150".
H&V Lens Shift
A 19' throw places it at the closer end of it's Throw distance so Lumen output is preserved.

Don't send a Boy to do a Mans job in the Coal Mines.

The only unspoken issue is as to if your budget is a compounding factor.

If so, you might want to consider going the other direction and use a Short Throw DLP 1080p like the BenQ W1080ST w/ 2000Lumen and mate it with a 1.3 Gain High Contrast Screen. It will do 150" diagonal at just 7' - 10:

It cost well under $1K

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #5 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

After looking at all the options and keeping price in mind I think I'll move the fan smile.gif
Now to convince the wife.
The W1080ST is close but would require a 120" screen...time to get some more exact measurements.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsds123 View Post

I have a ceiling fan smack dab in the middle of the ceiling but have a bookcase against the back wall that would be perfect for placing a projector. I was thinking of something like the Optoma HD25 but realize it can only be ceiling or table mounted. The screen has to be ceiling mounted (10 ft). I would need the projector to be high enough to not be blocked by people sitting in front of it...so maybe 5-6 ft off the ground. Any higher than 6 and the fan would get in the way. Are there any projectors out there that would work? I was thinking a 150" screen with the projector ~19 feet back.

For a bright projector with a wide range lens shift that can support the screen size and throw distance you envision, my first choice would be the Epson 5020UB (about $2.6K) while for DLP projectors with a street price under $2K the BenQ W7000 should work (this model will be replace shortly by the W7500). The Sharp XV-Z30000 is a good DLP projector with lens shift, but its not well suited for that large of a screen.

By the way what will your viewing distance be.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #7 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Viewing distance will be 15-18 ft depending on seating location. Was planning to stay ~$1000 for the projector. The more I think about it the more it makes sense to move the fan. It is right in the prime projector position but not exactly centered in the somewhat odd shaped living room. The hole/electric where the fan is would be used/covered by the projector so not much extra work would be involved.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-16-2013, 12:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Is the fan location centered to where the center of the screen would be?

If not, you'll also need horizontal lens shift.

But remember, the more horizontal shift you use, the less vertical shift you will have to play with.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-18-2013, 03:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Moving the Fan. What a breakthrough....spoken like a true enthusiast. wink.gif

....or you could use a longer extension pole (12") and "lower" the Fan, then mount the Projector just forward of the Pole and above the Blades. I've done that a few times, and with a 10' high ceiling you should have no issue with your Fan's blades twirling at 8' from the floor.

In a dedicated Theater room where a Fan is in the way, if the AC system is adequate...I always ditch it. Totally out of place. But in a Living / Family room? It's never a good idea to "lose it" unless it's absolutely necessary.

Another good suggestion. Save some dough and make yourself a DIY Screen and apply those savings toward a better Projector with appreciable Vertical Lens Shift. With either suggestion...moving the Fan or lowering it, you still don't want the PJ any lower than it has to be...and you surely don't want to have to mount the Screen overly high up on the wall.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/110/diy-screen-section

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd25 Hd 3d Home Theater Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Benq Sh940 Dlp Projector Hdtv Sh940 , Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page