I think I'm screwed...can I get 3D with my old receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-15-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am seriously considering upgrading my old but reliable Panny 900u to the Epson 3020. I really want the benefit of a 1080 image, the additional brightness this projector offers, and of course the 3D. Those are my reasons. My issue is my AVR. It's a Yamaha RX-V2600. I love it, but it can only pass 720P/1080i via its HDMI switching and therein lies the problem.

I've read a bit and I'm not seeing any way around this. I'm running HDMI from my PS3 to the Yamaha 2600 and getting LPCM 5.1 for audio and I'm happy with that and my projector is only 720P now so no issues there. My only option is to settle for sending 1080i to the projector. If I send the new projector a 1080i signal, with it do the deinterlacing? Will there be a picture difference? Will the 3D still work with that signal (I believe the RX-V2600 is only HDMI 1.1). I see my options as:

1. Send HDMI straight to projector and use optical out to receiver (I'd lose the LPCM 5.1)
2. Use HDMI from receiver to projector (not sure that that would so to image quality or 3D...can't be good)
3. Are there any HDMI splitter options that would let me send HDMI to receiver for audio, and another to projector thus getting the full 1080P via HDMI 1.4?

Or do I just need a new receiver as well??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The fast and cheap way is optical to the AVR and I'll bet unless it can be A/B switched you can't tell the difference. The real way to fix it is a new AVR that is 3D capable, because HDMI sources will read both the AVR and the projector and output the lowest common denominator, that makes the splitter useless.
I went through something like that needing 3D switching and found the best way and maybe only way is a new AVR.
Got one from this place that I found reading this forum.

http://www.accessories4less.com
post #3 of 5 Old 07-15-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

The fast and cheap way is optical to the AVR and I'll bet unless it can be A/B switched you can't tell the difference. The real way to fix it is a new AVR that is 3D capable, because HDMI sources will read both the AVR and the projector and output the lowest common denominator, that makes the splitter useless.
I went through something like that needing 3D switching and found the best way and maybe only way is a new AVR.
Got one from this place that I found reading this forum.

http://www.accessories4less.com

Yup...that's what I was afraid of. I can tell the difference in audio when switching to optical as I lose the lossless LPCM 5.1. Audio is very important to me....as much as video so having to use optical is a deal-killer. At least if I did have to switch...I'd get true 7.1 DTS-HD MA. The downside is this doubles the cost of my projector upgrade if I need to drop another $1500 on an AVR. The Yamaha was a $1500 receiver and sounds great....don't want to downgrade audio quality just to gain 1080P HDMI. Expensive hobby....

post #4 of 5 Old 07-15-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
The other alternative is purchase a new Blu-ray player with dual HDMI outputs that are intended for use in your specific situation. With such Blu-ray players the HDMI output to the AVR only provides the audio and the player's second HDMI output provides the video to the projector. Panasonic, Sony, Samsung and Oppo make such Blu-ray players. The Panasonic DMP-BDT500 has dual HDMI outputs was well as discrete analog audio outputs and sells for just under $200. For less money you might want to consider a used Panasonic BMP-BDT310 (e.g., eBay) which has the dual HDMI outputs. For about $250 you could consider the Sony BDP-S790. As others have pointed out the best 'no cost' solution is use the optical out from the PS3 to your AVR for the audio and connect the PS3's HDMI output directly to the new projector. The low cost solution is to use an HDMI switch, but be careful as must such switches are designed for multiple inputs and one output while in your case you need the PS'3 single output switched to either of two HDMI outputs. You could go with a low cost bi-directional HDMI switch such as THIS ONE.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #5 of 5 Old 07-15-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

The other alternative is purchase a new Blu-ray player with dual HDMI outputs that are intended for use in your specific situation. With such Blu-ray players the HDMI output to the AVR only provides the audio and the player's second HDMI output provides the video to the projector. Panasonic, Sony, Samsung and Oppo make such Blu-ray players. The Panasonic DMP-BDT500 has dual HDMI outputs was well as discrete analog audio outputs and sells for just under $200. For less money you might want to consider a used Panasonic BMP-BDT310 (e.g., eBay) which has the dual HDMI outputs. For about $250 you could consider the Sony BDP-S790. As others have pointed out the best 'no cost' solution is use the optical out from the PS3 to your AVR for the audio and connect the PS3's HDMI output directly to the new projector. The low cost solution is to use an HDMI switch, but be careful as must such switches are designed for multiple inputs and one output while in your case you need the PS'3 single output switched to either of two HDMI outputs. You could go with a low cost bi-directional HDMI switch such as THIS ONE.

Thanks Ron. I wasn't even aware there were BR players out with dual HDMI for that purpose. That may be my best bet. I've done a lot of research on these forums and the consensus is that a splitter will not work since it will assume the output of the lowest connected device which would be my AVR at 1080i. I agree that the optical out would be the easiest, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the HD audio I'd get over HDMI. I'm going to look into some of those BR players you suggested.

Thanks a bunch,

Jon

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page