Is This a Relatively Accurate Example of the Rainbow Effect? (link to viewable demo) - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Is this a relatively accurate example of what RBE looks like?
Yes. That is roughly accurate. 6 66.67%
No. It doesn't look as bad as that. 0 0%
No. It it is worse than that. 0 0%
No, it just doesn't look like that, period. 0 0%
Tomatoes 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 07-15-2013, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Obviously this is a simulation, not the real thing, but according to the (google translated) text, it is a particularly bad example of RBE ... If that is so, then maybe rainbows don't bother me, because looking at this demo I find the effect barely noticeable ...

Is it that much worse in real life? I'm trying to figure out if I should get a DLP projector or not ...

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.projektor.hu%2Fdlp%2Bszivarvany%2Bdemo.html&act=url

Feel free to add any related comments to the thread as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-15-2013, 10:44 PM

Liked: 16
Here is a projector in action showing RBE. I have the BenQ W1070 and I cannot see any on mine, but then again I am only running my Blu Ray player 1080p @ 24P on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYBurcnYx2g
post #3 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for responding petes vt.

Help me understand this. You say you see no rainbows with your BenQ--but DO you see them in the video you linked to?

I definitely saw them and they looked awful. Can everyone who watches that video see them, or just those of us who are "susceptible" to them?
post #4 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 12:51 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post

Thanks for responding petes vt.

Help me understand this. You say you see no rainbows with your BenQ--but DO you see them in the video you linked to?

I definitely saw them and they looked awful. Can everyone who watches that video see them, or just those of us who are "susceptible" to them?

Yes I can, that's why I was worried about getting a DLP. I was going to get a Epson 5020 at first. But I read thru the W1070 thread decided to try it out, and I do not regret it one bit. biggrin.gif
post #5 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
So that's what they look like.. never ever ever seen that on my Mitsubishi HC3000 or the Sharp Z30000 I had for a few weeks..
post #6 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I would say the video linked in the op is more accurate. For me it is more noticeable on light/white colors with a dark background. The second youtube video is very extreme and if that was the case nobody would buy a DLP. biggrin.gif

Once I could see it I was almost able to train my eye to "unsee" it and it was never a problem. YMMV as everyone is affected differently.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #7 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesvt View Post

Here is a projector in action showing RBE. I have the BenQ W1070 and I cannot see any on mine, but then again I am only running my Blu Ray player 1080p @ 24P on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYBurcnYx2g

The projector used in the video is the Benq MX518 which is a conference room projector selling for around $425 and is not representative of a home theater projector. For presentations it's probably fine since there is usually no fast movement.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #8 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 07:26 AM

Liked: 12
I've had a couple of DLP projectors and used them mostly for watching sports. So that may explain why i don't see them often as there are few dark scenes. Where I see a slight rainbow effect is when I look down to grab a drink or something then look back up at the screen. I currently have the Optoma HD66 and looking away then back, is the only time I see the rainbows on it as well. (I have a refurb Epson 3010 coming and am looking forward to perhaps getting rid of this admittedly minor annoyance.)
post #9 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhawk View Post

(I have a refurb Epson 3010 coming and am looking forward to perhaps getting rid of this admittedly minor annoyance.)

I am going to step out on a limb here and say you will find a few new annoyance with LCD .. Wish you lots of luck!
post #10 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 09:51 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
looking at this demo I find the effect barely noticeable

Looking at the demo I find the effect easily noticeable. Does this mean I am sensitive to RBE?

I've never owned a DLP projector but I am now thinking to buy the BenQ W1070. The RBE is the only thing that worries me.

There are no demos of the actual projector anywhere near where I live, so I can't try it out before I buy it. But if this demo can actually show sensitivity to RBE, then maybe I should think again about a DLP PJ, because I can see the effect clearly in the demo frown.gif
post #11 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 10:55 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

I am going to step out on a limb here and say you will find a few new annoyance with LCD .. Wish you lots of luck!

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I hope smile.gif

Anything in particular? You're making me paranoid....
post #12 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are pros and cons of all 3 current display technologies (3 chip LCD, 3Chip LCOS and DLP) ignorance is bliss.. If you are not aware of them, maybe they won't bother you.. sorry for bringing it up!
post #13 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom123 View Post

Looking at the demo I find the effect easily noticeable. Does this mean I am sensitive to RBE?

I've never owned a DLP projector but I am now thinking to buy the BenQ W1070. The RBE is the only thing that worries me.

There are no demos of the actual projector anywhere near where I live, so I can't try it out before I buy it. But if this demo can actually show sensitivity to RBE, then maybe I should think again about a DLP PJ, because I can see the effect clearly in the demo frown.gif

Let me rephrase that. I did notice the effect, but in the demo I linked to, I didn't find it very distracting. That is white letters on a black background--maybe it would be more distracting if it were an actual film scene, car driving at night, etc.

Quote:

Just glancing at some of the Epson threads it appears there may be some quality control issues that people are not happy about. Very short bulb life is one I've seen mentioned at least for some models, also uneven lighting, discoloration, etc. But I haven't really dug into any of those problems to get a sense of how widespread they really are.
post #14 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 12:21 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I previously owned a Mits HD1000 DLP and never saw the rainbow effect in several years of viewing but with the Benq W1070 I purchased 3 weeks ago I do see them. They appear as a very brief flash of color in certain dark scenes and during some end credits (white text/black background). Happens with 2D only. I've yet to see them viewing 3D. As I never noticed rainbows before I wasn't expecting to see them with the new projector. I wouldn't let the possibility of seeing rainbows stop you from buying a DLP projector. You may never notice them. I think anyone would see rainbows in those demos.
post #15 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post

Let me rephrase that. I did notice the effect, but in the demo I linked to, I didn't find it very distracting.

It was very obvious and distracting to me. I wonder if this is because I could see more of the effect or because I am more picky! I also asked my wife, who was standing a few meters behind me, if she can see the "rainbows" in the video, and she said "yes", and she doesn't even know about RBE. I would expected her to say "what rainbows?" if the effect was not very obvious to her as well.

And that scene from the youtube video in the second post was really terrible for me. Are people that find that even barely watchable?
post #16 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry2 View Post

I previously owned a Mits HD1000 DLP and never saw the rainbow effect in several years of viewing but with the Benq W1070 I purchased 3 weeks ago I do see them. They appear as a very brief flash of color in certain dark scenes and during some end credits (white text/black background). Happens with 2D only. I've yet to see them viewing 3D. As I never noticed rainbows before I wasn't expecting to see them with the new projector. I wouldn't let the possibility of seeing rainbows stop you from buying a DLP projector. You may never notice them. I think anyone would see rainbows in those demos.

The W1070 seems like a great deal. I can't seem to find a competitive LCD at a similar price. But I am afraid RBE could annoy me a lot if I do see it (and if I go by the "tests" posted it seems I do). Until recently I was using a Sanyo Z3. It is a 720p projector and today just about any new projector would be better in terms of resolution, contrast, color etc. And yet none of those shortcomings was bothering me as much as the waves on my pull down screen which were really annoying in panning scenes. I am afraid that if I do see RBE it would distract me in the same way as the waves on the screen!
post #17 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

And that scene from the youtube video in the second post was really terrible for me. Are people that find that even barely watchable?

See Mr. G's post above. I'm assuming no one find's that watchable.
post #18 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 01:42 PM

I've watched a youtube demo of the w1070 and I could see flashes of color at various points. Especially in the movie trailer that starts at about 2:03 I could see some flashes of color in most scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT0SqwBtick

Example:

If I did notice those flashes of color does it mean I am sensitive to RBE, or could that be a recording issue of the video camera and not RBE from the projector?
post #19 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Unless you're watching the video from the source on a DLP display how would you know if you see it? Some of the videos linked have something horribly wrong with the picture and everyone can see, sensitive to RBE or not. Just buy your projector from somewhere with a decent return policy and let your eyes decide. Maybe someone that lives close to you with a DLP can let you come check out their setup first?

31 Days of Horror:

post #20 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Some of the videos linked have something horribly wrong with the picture and everyone can see, sensitive to RBE or not.

Thanks. So for the video that I linked to from the w1070 everybody here can see the "rainbows" in the movie trailer but the same people can not see them when watching their w1070 directly with the same/similar kind of content?
post #21 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 02:41 PM

Liked: 17
Exactly. Human eyes don't work the same way as a camera, which is why it's never a good idea to use pictures and videos to determine the quality of a display. My guess is that the slow shutter speed of the camcorder is exaggerating the RBE. In reality you'll only notice rainbows that often if you've had a few too many to drink.
post #22 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psythik View Post

. In reality you'll only notice rainbows that often if you've had a few too many to drink.

Or some good acid. eek.gifsmile.gif

31 Days of Horror:

post #23 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 05:22 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

I've watched a youtube demo of the w1070 and I could see flashes of color at various points. Especially in the movie trailer that starts at about 2:03 I could see some flashes of color in most scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT0SqwBtick

Example:

If I did notice those flashes of color does it mean I am sensitive to RBE, or could that be a recording issue of the video camera and not RBE from the projector?

Hey, that's my video, never saw that before, good catch. Though I have to say in person the picture looks a million times better than it does in the video and I never see the RBE. The colors,sharpness, etc. are also much different in person... the AWB in my mirror-less was going nuts trying to figure out what to do. I used full auto mode.

Internet Certified Electrical Engineer
"I am just looking for an honest man."
post #24 of 24 Old 07-17-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Though I have to say in person the picture looks a million times better than it does in the video and I never see the RBE.

Thanks. I guess the camera can't lie, and there must be some RBE in order to be recorded (I don't think those issues are created by the camera itself) but it is good to know that the camera exaggerates the issue to a great degree and thus seeing the RBE in the recorded video does not mean I will see it when watching the projector directly.

Are there other such kind of demos of this projector, which are recorded with a better camera, and which do not show the RBE?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc3000u High Definition 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp , Benq Mx518 2800 Lumen Xga Dlp Smarteco Projector , Optoma Hd66 Dlp 3d Ready Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page