Finding the 'real' native resolution of my DLP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 07-16-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have recently purchased a Optoma ML300 DLP projector with a native WXGA resolution (1280x800).
I love it, and it plays movies very well through it's internal memory or USB drives. The picture is very sharp.

When I hook it up to a computer (mac/pc) using HDMI or VGA, I get scaling artifacts at it's native resolution, which is apparently common for this particular TI DLP chip. This gives most of the text the familiar 'blur' effect, and 720p video material looks more like good SD content. I know this, because when I go into the menu it looks much sharper, and especially when I play the same video file through the internal video player, it looks much, much clearer. The reason of the scaling is also described in PCMag's review of the device:
Quote:
Such scaling artifacts are caused by a mismatch between the image’s dimensions and a projector’s native resolution, which shouldn’t be the case as both the source and the projector’s native resolution are 1,280 by 800 pixels. The problem seems to rest in TI’s latest DLP Pico WXGA chips. Optoma says that the mirrors on the DLP chip are arranged in a way to produce higher brightness from a more compact design. However, the mirror arrangement also makes it impossible to have a true native resolution in the traditional sense, so the projector does indeed scale the image.

My question for you is this: do you think I could find a custom resolution, using Powerstrip for example, at which the pixels are better matched? Or even better, do you think I should be able to find the actual native resolution of the display?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page