Screen Grid Lineup Help... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-16-2013, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move. The grid is from my new BENQ W1070.

The projector is upside-down shelf mounted and I'm VERY close to perfect as the photo shows. I have full flexibility on a large shelf as far as placement back to front, right to left, or even up and down (it's currently angling slightly upward to match the pitch it would have running upright).

The screen is an electric non-tensioned ceiling mounted 125" screen from Elite. Nothing fancy. I'm trying to line up the grid and as the photo shows, I'm having some issues mainly in the lower right corner.

My #1 guess is that the screen itself is the culprit, and not exactly square with the projector (one end of the screen is maybe slightly further back or ahead on the ceiling). Am I correct, or is there a potential positional change I can make on the projector shelf to square up that lower right corner?

Much thanks for any suggestions, and have a great day/evening!

B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Did you not try leveling the pj, front to back and side to side, with it placed at the proper height? Try to avoid using the keystone settings if you can, as well.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, that's what I'll try. This is my first projector install so I'm making a lot of rookie mistakes already.

I just learned (after installing everything) that the IDEAL is the lens at least 3 inches ABOVE the top of the screen which is not possible with my configuration (The ceiling is 11 inches lower where I have the unit due to ductwork) so I'm at my best height-wise, almost. As a result I am going to have to slightly shoot at an upward angle.

Due to that I suppose I will have the slight trapezoid effect with the sides pinched in at the lower corners.

I measured in from the wall behind the dropdown screen. The left side of the screen is 33 inches in from the rear wall. The right side of the screen is 34 inches in from the rear wall. I had used vents on the ceiling as a reference and it turns out they were an inch off (builder did not have them equal). If I bring that left side an inch closer, will that make it easier to get closer to straight?
post #4 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Looks like your screen is wavy.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I thought so too, I realize this is not the ideal situation (ceiling mounted electric) but it's a temporary option for a year or two until I get into a new home where I can dedicate a room...So would having the screen as straight as possible and square with the projector potentially eliminate some of that?

Also trying to determine if I need to add some sort of weights to the bottom to tense it up.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post

If this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move. The grid is from my new BENQ W1070.

The projector is upside-down shelf mounted and I'm VERY close to perfect as the photo shows. I have full flexibility on a large shelf as far as placement back to front, right to left, or even up and down (it's currently angling slightly upward to match the pitch it would have running upright).

The screen is an electric non-tensioned ceiling mounted 125" screen from Elite. Nothing fancy. I'm trying to line up the grid and as the photo shows, I'm having some issues mainly in the lower right corner.

My #1 guess is that the screen itself is the culprit, and not exactly square with the projector (one end of the screen is maybe slightly further back or ahead on the ceiling). Am I correct, or is there a potential positional change I can make on the projector shelf to square up that lower right corner?

Much thanks for any suggestions, and have a great day/evening!

B.

Looks to me like your projector is not square to the screen. Tilt the back up and see how that changes the image then tilt the front up and see what that does. I use a table for my projector and that would be how the image would look if the projector was pointing up just a little. Make sure keystone is set to 0 and not to auto if it has the option.
Nothing wrong with temporary and working with what you have!
Good luck you will get it square up.. just use the pattern to make the adjustments not an actual level..

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Doug, I agree with you -- So am I also correct in assuming that if I move the screen itself where the left and right sides are equidistant from the back wall that I might be able to better remedy that issue in the lower right corner?

As far as the vertical lines, I also agree that looks like a height issue. So the basic idea here is for me to get the projector pointing as level as possible...If it's unavoidable to not have a little front upward tilt (I can only go so high before I hit the ceiling due to the drop at the mount point, the screen actually has 11 inches more of ceiling to work with), is this something I will just have to live with due to the necessity to tilt up? I am using rubber feet to cheat the projector up closer to the top of the ceiling and I do currently have slightly more in the front but I needed to do that to hit the top of the screen. I can continue adding a little more padding (I have about another inch I can go before I am out of room) but I think I'd need to add it equally or the top of my image would be too low. The screen can't go down any further and the projector can't go up any higher after that.

I do have the vertical lens shift of the W1070 maxxed out (it's very slight) which has helped but I will never be able to get the center of the lens above, or even even with, the top of the screen.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post

Thanks Doug, I agree with you -- So am I also correct in assuming that if I move the screen itself where the left and right sides are equidistant from the back wall that I might be able to better remedy that issue in the lower right corner?

As far as the vertical lines, I also agree that looks like a height issue. So the basic idea here is for me to get the projector pointing as level as possible...If it's unavoidable to not have a little front upward tilt (I can only go so high before I hit the ceiling due to the drop at the mount point, the screen actually has 11 inches more of ceiling to work with), is this something I will just have to live with due to the necessity to tilt up? I am using rubber feet to cheat the projector up closer to the top of the ceiling and I do currently have slightly more in the front but I needed to do that to hit the top of the screen. I can continue adding a little more padding (I have about another inch I can go before I am out of room) but I think I'd need to add it equally or the top of my image would be too low. The screen can't go down any further and the projector can't go up any higher after that.

I do have the vertical lens shift of the W1070 maxxed out (it's very slight) which has helped but I will never be able to get the center of the lens above, or even even with, the top of the screen.

Get it as good as you can and zoom it out so the edge of the image is in the boarder and enjoy!

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page