Just did it. Ordered W1070, to be delivered tomorrow! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey guys,

So I just pulled a really impulsive buy, sitting in the office, SOOO hot outside, drinking ice-coffee and it suddenly happened. It's all a blur, all that's left is the Amazon confirmation email in my inbox.
I read the forums for weeks learning from people's experiences and projector options and decided to go to the BenQ W10170.

It is going to be used in our living room which is very bright (have blinds that make the room semi-bright but far from dark).
Sitting around 10 feet away from the wall. I already have a 70" Sharp LCD on the wall that we are using for everything: TV, movies, games.
I wanted something bigger than 70" and could not afford paying for an 80"+ TV and the W1070 sounds pretty amazing for its price.

I went with a strange choice of projection screen, I got a 100" Elite ezCinema Portable Floor Pull Up Projection Screen (1.1 gain) to minimize installation needs and just going to position it in front of the TV wall every time I want to watch movies or play games.
Hope I made the right choice with it, I may place the projector on a shelf or hang it from the ceiling, will have to see.

All together, projector + screen + 2 pairs of glasses + 30ft HDMI was about $1300.

Pretty excited, can't wait to see what it all looks like tomorrow!

Even though I haven;t talked to you directly, thank you all for all the great information in this forum, huge help!

Thanks,
Gurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
It's on my list of potential upgrades for sure. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Congrat! Why settle on just 100"?
jandawil likes this.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Hey there Cowboy!

Reason is that I think I sit too close to the screen to go for something bigger, I will probably be sitting between 9-10 ft away.
The 70" TV that I currently have feels almost good enough, so I thought that a 100" would be great, nothing scientific about my decision cool.gif
Janos Racz likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 01:54 PM

Liked: 16
Congrats! Let us know how you like it.
Janos Racz likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

By the way, is the 1070 supposed to either be installed from the ceiling or on the floor? Is installing it on a wall shelf out of the question?

Thanks!
post #7 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurt View Post

Hey there Cowboy!

Reason is that I think I sit too close to the screen to go for something bigger, I will probably be sitting between 9-10 ft away.
The 70" TV that I currently have feels almost good enough, so I thought that a 100" would be great, nothing scientific about my decision cool.gif

I sit 11' away form my 118" screen and always think..."it could be bigger" cool.gif L/R speaker placement limits my size though and I didn't want to spend $$ on an acoustically transparent screen. Otherwise....120" would be lovely.

post #8 of 15 Old 07-17-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurt View Post

By the way, is the 1070 supposed to either be installed from the ceiling or on the floor? Is installing it on a wall shelf out of the question?

Thanks!

I hope you did some calculations, it is kinda specific on placement as it has a very limited "lens shift", and you want to try and not use the keystone adjustments if at all possible. Generally, lens at about 3" above the top of the screen, or 3" below the bottom of the screen, with throw distance/screen size affecting placement.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so it arrived yesterday as planned, in perfect condition.
I spent about 2 hours installing everything and all I can say is WOW!
At first I though to mount it on the ceiling but decided to go for the wall, gave me a bit more flexibility to control the size of the picture.
The pull-up floor-standing screen (100") is OK, not amazing but a great solution for my small space and for a good price.

Now for the picture quality.
It is outstanding out of the box.
I do not consider myself a picture purist so I am not as bothered as many of you about the black-levels. While it may not be as deep black as some of the higher end projectors out there, or Plasmas, I am very happy with it and find movie viewing experience very pleasant and engaging.
I still haven't calibrated or played with the settings (other than putting it on Eco Mode, which dims the light a little bit and creating the effect of deeper blacks, oh and saving up to 70% lamp life!).
2D quality is superb, the picture is very bright and uniform, colors are pretty accurate and watching a 100" screen from 8ft away is a blast!

Since my 3D experience so far has been with my 70" Sharp LCD, which is very good, i was blown away when I played Avatar with this projector. It is hard for me to compare PQ between the two sets but I can say that just the size increase to a 100" makes a tremendous difference, it literally feels like I am in the theater, maybe even better.
I noticed no ghosting and the picture brightness is really good for a dim room, I could only watch 3D and enjoy the full effect when the room was a little darker. I bought 2 pairs of 144Hz glasses that work just fine, you turn them on and they work. They don't lose reception and very comfortable to wear, even on top of my current glasses.

So far, I am happy, very happy. This little guy packs a punch and is very reasonably priced.
Will keep updating as I watch more!

Thanks,
Roy.

photo.JPG 295k .JPG file
Projection screen 342k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (295.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg photo(1).JPG (341.6 KB, 45 views)
Janos Racz likes this.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ Thanks for update. Wow was exactly my first impression turning this baby on. I have this pj in my completely dark theater room and it is outstanding. We were going to replace our family room 60" LCD with a 3D TV but after seeing 3D on a 110", I think we just buy a regular 60" TV for our family room. Very nice wall mount by the way.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

A quick question please.
In my setup my AV receiver is the hub, all my devices connect to it and it has 1 HDMI out that goes to my TV.
Now that I have added a projector to the mix, I need to keep manually changing the cables in the back between the TV and projector.
Is there a way around it? Like a switch box or something? If so, which one would work best if I want to be able to maintain the audio back functionality (Receiver is off but TV still gets sounds) and also 3D on both my TV and projector?

Thank you for your help!
post #12 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you have dual hdmi out on your AVR?
post #13 of 15 Old 07-19-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Only one. mad.gif
post #14 of 15 Old 07-21-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
HDMI 1.4 added arc functions, so you'll need a switch or splitter that can do do that. I'm not sure if your wanting a splitter, sending the signal out to all tvs, all the time? or a switch, to switch the output of the rcvr to one tv at a time? Maybe one of these might work? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=7974&seq=1&format=2

I'm not sure if these support arc through tos link only though, or ? Look into the reviews and/or chat with monoprice to see if this is what you need. You could also ask in the hdmi thread, and maybe user alk3997, http://www.avsforum.com/u/7439477/alk3997 will chime in and give you the facts for exactly what you'll need? http://www.avsforum.com/f/168/hdmi-q-a-the-one-connector-world
post #15 of 15 Old 07-22-2013, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page