Rainbow on my W1070 - help please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 07-19-2013, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So, after spending a few hours watching videos on my new W1070 I can confirm that I am one of these people who can see the rainbow effect.
Whenever there is a high contract scene, with or without movement, I notice the RGB flashes popping all over.

I love this projector. Its value for money is amazing.
Since I want to stay within the same budget more or less, I wanted to ask if buying the W7000 is going to make any difference in terms of the rainbow effect.
I read somewhere that the W700 utilizes a technology called DLP's BriliantColor Technology which can help eliminate this effect.
I have no idea if this is true or not and would appreciate your feedback. I also think that the W7000 uses an older version of the chip (DC2), so I am pretty confused about it.

In addition, will I be sacrificing anything in terms of PQ in 2D and 3D moving to the W7000?

I can send the projector back and have it replaced.

Thanks!
Gurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-20-2013, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you are sensitive to the rainbow effect wouldn't it be more reasonable to get an LCD projector instead of another DLP?
post #3 of 24 Old 07-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Maybe ask the guys what is the best way to minimize rainbow effect on the benq w1070. Does it get better with more time on bulb? Or with different screen material? Any suggestions?
post #4 of 24 Old 07-20-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I agree. It sounds like you need to buy an LCD. The W7000 will be no better. In fact, the W7000 will probably be worse because it uses a 4X color wheel speed, and the W1070 uses a 6X color wheel speed(according to Projector Central). Using Brilliant Color will probably make the rainbows worse, because it brightens the image.
post #5 of 24 Old 07-20-2013, 10:38 AM

Liked: 16
There's no such thing as "sensitivity to rainbows" or "ability to see rainbows" (I'm tired of hearing this). Anyone sees rainbows while moving eyes rapidly. Some people are just too annoyed by rainbows or look for them constantly. Others just ignore.

BriliantColor has nothing to do with eliminating rainbows, it pops colors to make them "brilliant".

DLP rainbow effect is more pronounced during first 20-50 hours when the lamp breaks in. After that it gets much less noticeable even when you look for it deliberatelly.
post #6 of 24 Old 07-20-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you somuch for the replies.
So I guess I am one of these people who get annoyed more...
Based on my budget, if I decide to go LCD, I can probably afford a new 3020, the 5020 is too expensive.
Will the 3020 be as good as the 1070 in terms of PQ and brightness?

On the other hand, if I wait for 20-50 hours and ill start noticing the rainbow effect less then I could save all this money upgrading.
Are there any settings I can tweak to deal with the effect?

If the 3020 is MUCH better than the 1070 I would spend the extra money just as a longer term investment.

Thanks again everyone.
post #7 of 24 Old 07-21-2013, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Are there any settings I can tweak to deal with the effect?
No. I tried everything before like lowering the contrast/brightness. The only thing that works on LED based DLP projectors is to increase the refresh rate, but I don't think that would do anything for a normal projector with a color-wheel since the color-wheel spins the same speed.
post #8 of 24 Old 07-21-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 196
As reported in the W1070 owner's thread the W1070 has far less than 6X color wheel speed in most operating modes. More specific when the input signal is 1080p/24, as you were probably using from a Blu-ray disc player, the effective color wheel speed is only 3.2X. It appears that the signal input that produces anything close ton 6X is a 50 Hz input (actually only 5X and not common in the North America for video). You may try switching your Blu-ray player's output to 1080p/60 which produces a little faster 4X color wheel speed. The original post on this is - HERE

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #9 of 24 Old 07-21-2013, 08:41 PM

few thing you can try before ditching your DLP projector.
1. lower brightness
2. disable brilliant colour
3. use economy mode
4. force output of your bluray / media player to 1080p/50hz

try doing some or all and see if that helps.
post #10 of 24 Old 07-22-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Maolen,

Thank you for your advice!

1. Lowered my brightness (and using the "cinema" setting when watching films)
2. The 1070 does not have this technology as far as I know
3. I am on the highest economy modes
4. Really not sure how to do this. My BD player is the PS3, the only thing I found I could change is enable/disable 24frames support. Nowhere to control anything else about frequencies that I know of.

The alternative that I currently have is to return the W1070 and get a factory refurbished 5010 instead. I think based on everything that I read that the 5010 will give an overall better PQ but I am not sure and also not sure if it is worth another $700.

Thank you for taking the time to look into this and for your suggestions.
post #11 of 24 Old 07-22-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurt View Post

Hey Maolen,

Thank you for your advice!

1. Lowered my brightness (and using the "cinema" setting when watching films)
2. The 1070 does not have this technology as far as I know
3. I am on the highest economy modes
4. Really not sure how to do this. My BD player is the PS3, the only thing I found I could change is enable/disable 24frames support. Nowhere to control anything else about frequencies that I know of.

The alternative that I currently have is to return the W1070 and get a factory refurbished 5010 instead. I think based on everything that I read that the 5010 will give an overall better PQ but I am not sure and also not sure if it is worth another $700.

Thank you for taking the time to look into this and for your suggestions.

Gurt to disable Brilliant color in the menu on the picture tab go to advanced and it is in there 5th one down.
post #12 of 24 Old 07-22-2013, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Found and disabled it.
I think it helped a little but did not eliminate it altogether.
Tough choice for me.

Thank you petesvt.
post #13 of 24 Old 07-23-2013, 03:28 AM

problem wth rainbow is that once you see it, it's hard not to see anymore.
Since you cannot set your player to output 50Hz, and wont know if that will help,
i think DLP is really not for you. some really gets annoyed when they see it.
post #14 of 24 Old 07-23-2013, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Maybe you should give the guys the room size and screen size and also what type of screen you are using. We don't know , for all we know you could be projecting onto a wall, right?
Screen size and screen type can make a difference. Also how far back is the PJ from the screen, maybe increase the distance and see if that helps too.
Keep experimenting and if nothing works, I guess return it.
post #15 of 24 Old 07-23-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Hey rgtaa,

You're absolutely right, I forgot to include this information in my original post.
Projector is mounted on wall, 9.5 feet from the screen.
I project a 100 inch picture on a 100 inch portable screen by Elite Screens. The exact model can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-F100XWH1-ezCinema-Projection/dp/B000PHLC7I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1374596673&sr=8-7&keywords=elite+ez+cinema

It is installed in our living room, very bright room but I have blackout curtains to control the light if I want to watch a movie during the day, but it is never fully dark. All walls are white.

Thank you!
post #16 of 24 Old 07-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

I would think you have good screen, unless a grey screen would be better to help out in the RBE, but I'm not sure about that.
Under 10 feet back from PJ to screen is pretty close, if you are seeing RBE, if you can maybe move PJ back 14 feet back, but you might not be able to do that, not sure.
Maybe you could get a ND filter, to tone down the brightness, sometimes that helps too, look in the w1070 thread of advice about that.

Now, how does the RBE effect you, does it give you headaches, hurt your eyes, cause eye strain, disorientition? It effect everybody a little differently. Where are you sitting, how far back. I notice if I'm too close to screen, I can feel a little disoriented, it's a slight light strobe effect, but if I move back a little I don't get it.
It's hard to put it into words, so do your best. Does it effect you where you can't get into the movie, distracting. Does it happen a number of times per minute, or 1 or 2 times an hour. I guess I'm trying to figure out if it's something you can live with, or soemthing that will "drive you mad". smile.gif

If I move my head fast side to side, I can see the effect, but I don't notice it at all if I'm sitting straight back from screen about 7-8 feet back. At 4-5 feet from screen it's too much for me. If you do get a different PJ, let us know how you like it.
post #17 of 24 Old 07-23-2013, 12:28 PM

Also to you could try the ND filter trick.
post #18 of 24 Old 07-23-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hey RG,

No disorientation or anything that drastic.
I would describe it as more of an annoyance. I see very fast (<1sec) rainbow flash maybe once every 2 minutes. Sometimes, I will be able to watch for 10 minutes without noticing any.
When I turn my head from side to side quickly, I notice it all the time, also when I blink fast (if I do it intentionally).
I notice it immediately when there are high contrast scenes. Even before a movie starts and it's all black screen and the little "play" button appears in white in the corner, there is a flash of rainbow there.
In terms of brightness, I tried to lower it as much as I could (eco mode + cinema + little less "brightness" setting) and the colors start to look too faded or dull.

Thanks!
post #19 of 24 Old 07-24-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
If you see RBE now, it's not going away.
Send it back before your return window is gone.
Get an LCD or LCOS projector.

Candle/light flicker in movies and black and white movies will expose RBE easily if you really want to see RBE as will fast panning scenes.

post #20 of 24 Old 07-29-2013, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Alright. After much more tweaking and testing I decided to return the projector :-(
I can't seem to get rid of the rainbows and I am bothered by it so much, I sometimes lose concentration and only focus on them.

I love this little guy but I guess DLP is not for me.

I need a quick advice. I am going LCD and can either buy a refurbished 5010 or 3010. Is there a major diff between the 2? Is the 5010 worth the extra money?
I wish I could see them in person but no one near me has them.

Any advice would be appreciated, if you can think of other options within the 1500 range, please let me know.

Thank you,
Gurt.
post #21 of 24 Old 07-30-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alright. After much more tweaking and testing I decided to return the projector :-(
I can't seem to get rid of the rainbows and I am bothered by it so much, I sometimes lose concentration and only focus on them.

I love this little guy but I guess DLP is not for me.

I need a quick advice. I am going LCD and can either buy a refurbished 5010 or 3010. Is there a major diff between the 2? Is the 5010 worth the extra money?
I wish I could see them in person but no one near me has them.

Any advice would be appreciated, if you can think of other options within the 1500 range, please let me know.

Thank you,
Gurt.

If the have the extra $$, I recommend you go for the 5010 as it is a significant step up from the 3010. Check out the reviews HERE for the 3010 and HERE for the 5010.

Ron Jones
post #22 of 24 Old 07-30-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ron!
If you had to choose between the 5010 and the 3020, would you still go for the 5010? I am going to order the new projector today.

Thank you again,
Gurt.
post #23 of 24 Old 07-30-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Ron!
If you had to choose between the 5010 and the 3020, would you still go for the 5010? I am going to order the new projector today.

Thank you again,
Gurt.

I would still go with a factory refurb 5010 (with Epson warranty) because is has much better black levels, is a lot more flexible for mounting with its lens shift, and has a better feature set.

Ron Jones
post #24 of 24 Old 08-01-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

I went with a 5010, getting it today. I also ordered 2 pairs of PS3 3D glasses which are supposed to wok with this projector and were MUCH cheaper than the Epson ones.
Can't wait to get back home, install and check it out. I am pretty relieved about not seeing rainbows even again :-)

Gurt.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page