Installing Epson 8350 - whats a good HDMI cable to compliment it? What else to run during wire install? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-21-2013, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys,

What are some recommended HDMI cables that would compliment my PJ - an Epson 8350? Since I'm running the cables from my console table to the PJ - I'm likely going to need at least a 25ft cable. What other cables should I run at this time to the PJ for future and planning purposes?

Essentially the receiver will act as the switch and all the other components will connect directly to that. I think I just need a 25ft HDMI cable but please provide feedback. I'm going to hook up an Xbox one, Denon 2112, HDTV (fios) and a blu ray player.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-21-2013, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I'd run a couple CAT6 cables. CAT6 provides flexibility, you could end up with a projector that has TCP/IP control capabilities, you could also adapt the CAT6 to be a serial connection for RS232 control, or even use a couple wires out of it for IR control or a DC trigger. Also, there are some products out there that do HD video over CAT6, and there could be more coming. You may never use them, but they are cheap so it's not a big deal, but each one has 8 wires in it that you could eventually use for some purpose.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #3 of 13 Old 07-22-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! So HDMI and CAT6 so far. For the HDMI is there a particular type of HDMI that I should get - an ethernet HDMI or high-speed HDMI? I understand most devices support standard HDMI. What are some manufacturers you all recommend - I'll check in the cable section of the forum as well. Amazon sells a lot of HDMI cables that are inexpensive...

Thanks!
post #4 of 13 Old 07-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

All my cable these days comes from Monoprice. For a projector run it might be worth paying a little extra for their RedMere line. High speed is a definite must, but I'm not sure you need to worry about HDMI+Ethernet. Have you seen anything that supports it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #5 of 13 Old 07-22-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a list of 35 ft high speed HDMI cables that I came across in a quick search on Amazon. Are the media bridge and blue rigger cables any good? They appear to have very high reviews and seem popular on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=high%20speed%20hdmi%20cable%2035%20ft

I may need to mount my PJ past a bulkhead and turn the cabling down an extender of the PJ mount. Should I go longer on the cable or try to make it work with a shorter HDMI cable. Would going from 35ft to 50ft in length for the HDMI cable cause degradation in the quality and latency of the image?

Also, does the PJ need to be mounted to a stud or can it go into the drywall?

Thanks!
post #6 of 13 Old 07-23-2013, 04:39 AM

Liked: 53

If you are running cables in the wall/ ceiling and they are easy to change than you can try cheap cables and if they work great.  If you are going to have difficulty snaking wires and don't want to change them then I'd run at least two Cat6 and a DPL approved HDMI.  Something that has been tested and has more rigid standards the HDMI spec (which many cable don't even meet).  You don't have to search hard to find many HDMI problems on this forum and if it is something that isn't easy to change I would spend a little more to get something I know works.  There are some that are very reasonable.

http://www.dpllabs.com/page/dpl-approved-products

If your walls are going to be open then the best thing you can run is conduit.  That way you can change cables easily and you will be future proofed as cable standards do change.

post #7 of 13 Old 08-18-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

any other feedback on HDMI cables? I'm ordering today.. thanks!

Do i lose any quality going choosing 35ft or 50ft in length? I need to run this through drywall and to be safe I was thinking to get the 50ft.

Also, should i get 2 HDMI cables to go from the projector to the receiver just in case 1 goes bad?

I'm thinking of getting mediabridge from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-High-Speed-Cable-Ethernet/dp/B009K4J8RS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1376799573&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+35ft
post #8 of 13 Old 08-18-2013, 12:24 PM

Everybody wants cheap and sometimes it is just that.  If it will difficult to change the cable use my advice otherwise try cheap and if it doesn't work get something proven.  Luckily you are only trying to use 1080P. Although 1080P is under the high speed rating it requires a little less than half bandwidth of the high speed rating so it might work, it's a crap shoot.  Probably not if you want 4k or other higher bandwidths in the future.  Notice their certificate is only for 10ft.  Only their 50ft has a CL3 rating for in wall.  There isn't ANY cable much more than ~25ft that doesn't have active technology that have passed high speed testing at full bandwidth.

post #9 of 13 Old 08-22-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Back to the top for some final thoughts/feedback..

So I purchased several times from Monoprice to get ready for my upcoming install. For the projector I purchased 2 x HDMI Redmere cables. I was advised to have two for redundancy. Someone on this thread mentioned to run cat6 which is fairly inexpensive. Is there anything else you guys recommend?

Thanks!
post #10 of 13 Old 08-22-2013, 07:12 PM

Conduit! If possible.  The couple runs of Cat6 as mentioned.

post #11 of 13 Old 08-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

Conduit! If possible.  The couple runs of Cat6 as mentioned.

Good idea. Isn't there a type called "smurf tube" or something like that? I've seen that run in some places, it's a flexible conduit with an inside diameter of an inch or so.

post #12 of 13 Old 08-23-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Smurf tube is the blue version of Carlon Resigard conduit and should be run if at all possible between your equipment rack and the projector.

If you DO run conduit, then you don't need anything more than one HDMI cable to the projector at this time.

Conduit should be at least 1.25" and if walls are open, go ahead and run 1.5" because it will be just as easy and give you, by far, the most protection and future proofing.

Make sure that you position power and your wiring stub out at a distance which makes sense to the largest number of projectors and your screen size. You have to pick your wiring location now, which means you have to pick your screen size now. If you are depth limited, then it hardly matters, but if you have 20+ feet of depth in the room, then don't put your wiring at 10', as that will significantly limit your options. If you are planning to sit at 12' from the screen, then a 110" diagonal would match THX 'center of theater' specifications. So, 14' or 15' to the lens, and about 16' to the cabling makes sense.

Just a quick search for Carlon Conduit 1.5 and this was returned....

http://www.surveillent.com/carlon-thomas-and-betts-sch4x1c-50-1-1-2-resi-gard-flex-rcwy-50.aspx?gclid=CIzR85nok7kCFQai4Aod73QAjw

If you put NOTHING in your walls other than that conduit, you are good for the next 20 years.

Be very aware that Redmere cables are directional! Equipment rack side to projector side - get it right!

I've personally used large gauge HDMI cables from Monoprice exclusively over the last 5+ years and have had no issues with 1080p and 3D video at distances up to 50'. I'm sure some do have issues, but across a dozen+ installations, I'm not one of those people.

- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-27-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

update - got a a 40ft cat6 cable and 2 x redmere hdmi cables. i know these are directional. i got two for redundancy since the projector has 2 hdmi interfaces incase one of the cables goes bad. i know they are directional but since i have just once source that would be switching through the receiver.. i.e. set top box, xbox one and blu ray player - i was told i just need 1 redmere cable.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page