Anything I can do about washed out bright scenes on Optoma HD33? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-22-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have no problems with dark scenes, blacks are excellent and all, balance is perfect. But any kind of light scene (like sky in the picture or bright window) and the image because very washed out, as if brightness being cranked up several notches. I can't get the balance right so that darker scenes look acceptably detailed and at the same time bright scenes look natural. If I turn down the brighness to make light scenes normal, the dark scenes become extremely dark and most of the details get lost.

Especially it's bad in 3D. Avatar looks spectacular in dark scenes (forest scene with those beasts), but downright VHS quality in any light scenes (running out of lab for the first time, flying above waterfalls etc).

Is there a setting I need to tweak for this? I tried gamma and offset but I can't find a setting that would make any difference sp I keep it at default.

I have a pretty dark room (only ceiling is white, walls are dark brown), and 1.3 Gain white screen. Throw distance is about 15ft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-22-2013, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Paint your ceiling a darker color, one that doesn't reflect. If you can't do that, then you can try a gray screen.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-22-2013, 06:33 PM

Liked: 17
If your projector has color management settings, you can fix this by turning up the saturation and turning down the gain for each color until it's all balanced. And if that doesn't work, try doing the opposite. If it's a DLP projector you'll have to turn BrilliantColor off in order to unlock these adjustments.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-23-2013, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
With my HD33 my screen was 12" from a white ceiling. Since I can't paint the ceiling, I went to a local fabric store and got a piece of black cloth slightly longer than the width of the screen. I fastened it to the ceiling against the wall so it covers the ceiling out about four feet in front of the screen.
This made a big difference in contrast on bright scenes.

td
post #5 of 5 Old 07-24-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Unfortunately my screen is permanently built in and a part of living room extended design... which means I can't replace it. I can't paint the ceilings either... Tried playing with color gains... didn't do much to bring down the gap between bright and light scenes... Thanks for the suggestions, but I guess I'll just have to live with it.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd33 3d Ready Dlp Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page