PTAE8000 or something else - i have no idea - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-23-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For some reason Im stuck on thinking I should buy a PTAE8000 projector. I want something that is going to give off a good picture in a basement for sports and movies. The lighting should be controlled pretty well. But the part I can care less about is its 3D functionality. I can't help but feel that some of the price of this project is inflated due to the 3D functionality which i dont care about. Can anyone recommend a possible alternative that doesnt have 3D?

Theater Build thread here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 12:23 PM
fg3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to decide between the following myself:

Panasonic AE8000
Epson 5020ub
Sony VPL-HW50ES

My 'decision' has gone from the AE8000 initially to the Epson (for the better customer service, if needed) and now on to the Sony.

At this point I'm really leaning towards the Sony for the following reasons:
  • Overall better build quality
  • Sealed light path
  • Out of box picture
  • 3D performance
  • Ability to self fix any pixel alignment issues that may creep up

A little history - my last projector was a Sanyo PLV-Z4 that was an absolute workhorse. I had it for 6 years and never experienced a single problem. The panels were perfectly aligned, I didn't have any dust blob issues, etc. I changed the bulb once as the original was becoming noticeably dimmer. That's it. It was appliance-like as you could get.

I recently moved and sold my HT equipment with the house, so I'm looking for a new setup now. I think I would be happy with the Panny or the Epson listed above, but I really don't have any tolerance for maintenance issues. I don't want to have to send units back, etc. From all of my research, the Sony seems like it will be more reliable than the Panny or the Epson. Plus, the reviews it gets are off the charts.

FG
Old 07-23-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate your reply. I know for sure I will never buy another sony TV related product after my experience with a sony tv. I have had Epson in my mind as well, but for some reason it seems like people feel the panasonic gives a better picture. I also probably should take into account the fact price of bulbs, as i assume I will be buying a few over time.

Never owning a projector before or even having one in the family is like uncharted water for me. I am normally the tech expert when people are purchasing electronics in the family. In this case, i dont have a leg to stand on.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Im in the same boat as you DB....Im leaning towards the Panny as its the only one i have seen in action. Also have had nothing but good luck with my 65" plasma from Panisonic (different technology i know, but same company). Plus I think the lens zoom memory will let me take better advantage of my new 2.35 screen that i want to get.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

from the little i just read on here, if your going with a 2.35 screen i think the panny is the way to go (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1480596/epson-5020ub-e-and-panasonic-ae8000u-owners-only-which-one-do-you-own-and-why). After reading a bit, i might feel slightly inclined to purchase the epson, if their customer service is really that much better. I think originally i thought i'd go with the pan because of gaming i want to do. but that is the issue, its gaming i want to do and i never really do so i dont think the slight lag will really make much of a difference.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:59 PM

Unless you have a 12 yr old son like i do that likes to kick my butt in call of duty.....every millisecond counts! Lmoa.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:01 PM

Actually I don't know why anyone wouldn't go with 2.35 and just mask down to 16x9 for HDTV .
Old 07-24-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Well never owning a projector before I'm thinking I will watch more media in 16x9. Sports mainly. I guess I had the other thought of masking the other direction if necessary. But for me I think it also has to do with the wall that my screen will hang on.

I think I'm going to look more into the Epson. I know the pan has rebates on it though. I just don't care at all about 3d so if that difference of money can be spent elsewhere instead of in a projector I'd rather do that.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Wait for the new Sony VPL-HW55ES coming out in October.

[]s,
Fernando
Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

sony isnt the to brand on my list due to personal preference. I'd just rather avoid their products.

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread - Ptae8000u by PriceGrabber.com