Mounting Projector - stud necessary? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 07-23-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
When mounting a projector is it required to go into a stud or is that just recommended? I have a Epson 8350 and needed to understand this requirement before I purchase my PJ mount either peerless or chief since I may need an extender based on the requirement.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 07-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project H View Post

When mounting a projector is it required to go into a stud...

It depends if you want your projector to remain where it is mounted or fall to the floor. eek.gif

Just my two cents... but there is absolutely no way I would mount my projector without hitting a stud or joist. Some people have mounted 3/4" plywood plates to the studs/joists and then put the mount on that if the studs/joists don't line up the way you need them to. That's also a valid option. But drywall only... bad idea imho.

I'll also throw in a vote for Chief RPA mounts. They are very solid and well built mounts.

post #3 of 36 Old 07-23-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 798
agree, if we're talking drywall only, I wouldn't do it.

if you have something more sturdy between the joists(like plywood) then I wouldn't worry so much.

I have some 3/4" thick planks going across the joists under the drywall in my basement ceiling. not really sure why, but anyway, I have my mount screwed into one of these planks, so far so good. tongue.gif

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #4 of 36 Old 07-23-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 291
You need your projector in something better than drywall, period.

A stud with two anchor points for the projector flange is perfectly acceptable and common for most installations. It's nice to have a 3/4" plywood to mount into, but certainly this is rare compared to just going into a stud.

I am a strong supporter of the Chief RPMAU mount. There is nothing close, including the Peerless attempt at something similar.

I'm not sure what you mean by needing an 'extender'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 36 Old 07-23-2013, 03:23 PM

Liked: 10
extender i'd think means the OP has higher ceilings and needs the projector to hang lower than what the regular mount provides, i'm in the same boat
post #6 of 36 Old 07-23-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose4540 View Post

extender i'd think means the OP has higher ceilings and needs the projector to hang lower than what the regular mount provides, i'm in the same boat
I certainly wouldn't recommend any mount that doesn't offer an interchangeable pole on it which uses 1.5" standard pipe available from your local Lowes store. You start to get into some pretty poorly built mounts when they have fixed length columns attached to them... But, I know the Peerless PRG and the Chief RPM series both use 1.5" pole extensions. Even the Home Theater Depot mount offers this feature: http://www.mountdirect.com/Projector_Ceiling_Mount_NPL_Series_p/npl.htm - and while the mount itself is pretty basic, you aren't locked into a height which doesn't work in any particular setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 36 Old 07-23-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

I certainly wouldn't recommend any mount that doesn't offer an interchangeable pole on it which uses 1.5" standard pipe available from your local Lowes store. You start to get into some pretty poorly built mounts when they have fixed length columns attached to them... But, I know the Peerless PRG and the Chief RPM series both use 1.5" pole extensions. Even the Home Theater Depot mount offers this feature: http://www.mountdirect.com/Projector_Ceiling_Mount_NPL_Series_p/npl.htm - and while the mount itself is pretty basic, you aren't locked into a height which doesn't work in any particular setup.

thanks for that, I actually have a mount currently that I used for my Epson 8100 before it died

http://www.amazon.com/Atdec-TH-WH-PJ-CM-Projector-Ceiling-Mount/dp/B000ENWT1Q/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374618403&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=altdec+projector+mount

Nothing spectacular to look at but it was very sturdy and I also have vaulted ceilings which limits my options...not sure if I'll be using this one again or doing something different, I like the look of some of the chief/peerless mounts, but getting the vaulted ceiling adapter, mount, and adjustible pole ends up bein $200ish and I just don't know if I can justify that for a 6lb projector like the Benq w1070 if I go that route
post #8 of 36 Old 07-23-2013, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the clarification. Basically with the 120in screen I purchased I was going to mount the PJ on a bulkhead that should have a stud/joist but I will need to double-check with a stud finder. If I cant find a proper stud/joist in the bulkhead I will need to mount my PJ a bit further back past it onto the regular ceiling which is about 1 - 1.5 ft higher. Thats why I need an extender/pipe.

With the chief mount what OEM looking extender pipe can I get? I dont mind spending some money on this as I wanted the fit and finish to look good and like they belong.
post #9 of 36 Old 07-23-2013, 05:56 PM

I would say it depends on how heavy your projector and mount are. I had to mount my projector to a vaulted ceiling and it had to be mounted in a specific spot and extend 4ft down to hit my screen. I had hoped to hit a stud, but of course I didn't so I just used four drywall anchors rated up to 102lbs. My projector and mount combined only weight about 13lbs so I doubt its going anywhere.
post #10 of 36 Old 07-24-2013, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

^^^ Be aware that the weight ratings for drywall anchors are usually for loads in walls where the load is pulling 90degrees to the anchor orientation (ie. the anchor is in a wall). Acceptable loads for ceiling mounts where the load is pulling inline with the anchor orientation may be significantly less. I bet if you read the fine print on the box your anchors came in you will find something to this effect. Some of them even state NOT to use them for ceiling applications.

All that is said just to reiterate... be careful with drywall only as a mounting substrate for your projector. It's an expensive piece of equipment to be trusting only to drywall which can crumble and break easily.

post #11 of 36 Old 07-24-2013, 09:54 AM

Yeah I know its not the optimal method to hang something (I've walled mounted all 5 tvs in the house to studs including a 80lbs plasma mounted in front of a window using a 3ft 2x10 to king studs) but I didn't have much choice with a vaulted ceiling. Wife wouldn't approve of 2x8x16 lumber piece in the living room ceiling that would have been needed to connect adjacent joist together and there was no way I could fit in the attic craw space. I had already mount my motorized projection screen (23lbs) using drywall plant hanging anchors hooks that have a ceiling weight rating of 40lbs so I was pretty confident about using four anchors bolts to hold a 13lbs projector and mount. Just sharing the experience from someone how has actually done it and has had no problems.
post #12 of 36 Old 07-24-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:

When mounting a projector is it required to go into a stud or is that just recommended? I have a Epson 8350 and needed to understand this requirement before I purchase my PJ mount either peerless or chief since I may need an extender based on the requirement.

Thanks!

Chief RPA-168 "PJ Specific" Mount

"Cut to length" Sch.40 PVC with Threaded Male Couplings for the Drop Pipe. Easily painted...not "greasy"...and it cost just $2.99 for a 2' pre-cut section at HD. Price a Drop price from any Mount Mfg and after you get up off the Floor, you'll know what choice to make.

Pull Out "Toggler" Anchors. The 5/8" one shown below has a 160 lb rating, so let's drop any worries about using two of them for even a 25 lb PJ

The PJ shown with the RPA-168 is a Epson 8350 BTW... cool.gif

The Peerless ACC570 Round Ceiling Plate

A complete Chief / Peerless Combo with a Epson 6020

The PJ shown below with the RPA-168 is a Epson 8350 BTW... cool.gif

Really, there is only one "best choice" and the above is it.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #13 of 36 Old 07-24-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I would personally not hang my projector from a PVC pipe when the steel pipe is available at Lowes for about $10, and can be painted flat black for far less. I also wouldn't go with a projector specific plate over a universal mount, or with the older RPA mount instead of the far better RPM Elite mount, so I'm not sure why you would consider that a 'best choice' considering that mount is something I haven't seen in a couple of years.

In my experience, the Chief RPA series of mounts is not in the same league as their Elite mounts. With a lightweight projector, their mini-elite mounts are fine, and with heavier projectors, the RPM series are the way to go.

Nothing wrong with the Peerless ceiling plate, but you can use a standard 1.5" plumbing flange from Lowes and paint it black and nobody will be the wiser about it. Likewise with the 1.5" steel pipe from Lowes.

I also would stick with the Elite universal mount from Chief which means you aren't buying custom plates at $75+ when you get a different projector, you just change the projector out and your done.

post #14 of 36 Old 07-24-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification. Basically with the 120in screen I purchased I was going to mount the PJ on a bulkhead that should have a stud/joist but I will need to double-check with a stud finder. If I cant find a proper stud/joist in the bulkhead I will need to mount my PJ a bit further back past it onto the regular ceiling which is about 1 - 1.5 ft higher. Thats why I need an extender/pipe.

With the chief mount what OEM looking extender pipe can I get? I dont mind spending some money on this as I wanted the fit and finish to look good and like they belong.
Any bulkhead in normal residential construction that has drywall will have studs under it. The studs will definitely be in the corners at the front and rear of the bulkhead and there will be cross studs which are there to support the drywall. If mounting directly to the bulkhead and it is low enough then you may be able to take bolts directly through the mount into the bulkhead.

1.5" pipe is available from Lowes as well as 1.5" plumbing flanges. Pick up some flat black spray paint and it will look exactly right. You can buy Peerless, Chief, or a long list of other 'prefab' 1.5" pipes, but they are all really similar in what they are - standard 1.5" plumbing pipe.

This is an example of what you likely have, and I would probably run Togglers into anything which is not using 2x4 framing but is using 1x3 framing as pictured below. Either way, it should be plenty stable.

post #15 of 36 Old 07-26-2013, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

What exactly do I need for the chief mount for the Epson 8350. What model mount, ceiling plate and extender pipe? I dont want to go the home depot route and rather get OEM parts for the extender.

Can you please confirm the parts as some folks have posted different feedback on this front and i need to purchase the mount quite soon.

Im having an easier time finding info on the peerless system but i rather go with the chief but just need the correct model numbers or link to the required mount, ceiling plate and pipe.

thanks!
post #16 of 36 Old 07-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
when me and my dad first put up some drywall we were installing the screen with some attached speakers which was going to be heavy, so we put in some metal drywall anchors and it has never come down, it was a good 60 pounds with the added speakers and frame. I also hooked a chain to it, to show my worried mom about its strength and one alone held me up without breaking. I don't remember the ratings of the anchor, but I was about 140 pounds at the time, and the drywall is the standard code 5/8 inch. If you have 4 anchors in there, I can't see how it would fall down unless a water pipe burst and wet the drywall. You could also attach the pj s lock secure wire to another anchor as added protection so if the whole mount came out, you'd still have it hanging from the metal line. I certainly wouldn't put up ugly boards across my ceiling to attach to joists, I think that's overkill and astatically unappealing
post #17 of 36 Old 07-26-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:

What exactly do I need for the chief mount for the Epson 8350. What model mount, ceiling plate and extender pipe? I dont want to go the home depot route and rather get OEM parts for the extender.

Can you please confirm the parts as some folks have posted different feedback on this front and i need to purchase the mount quite soon.

Im having an easier time finding info on the peerless system but i rather go with the chief but just need the correct model numbers or link to the required mount, ceiling plate and pipe.

thanks!

Not sure how much extension you need (I needed 4ft) I found this universal mount on ebay that extends to 59".
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extend-Universal-Projector-Ceiling-Mount-Wall-Bracket/250821299447?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D138484301408017198%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D250821299447%26
post #18 of 36 Old 07-27-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What exactly do I need for the chief mount for the Epson 8350.
If you want a good mount that will truly last you for life that has easy adjustment and you will be happy with then get this:

http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/rpmau

Chief is not a one size fits all company in regards to their ceiling plates - do you connect to a junction box? A angle ceiling? You need a different color?

http://www.chiefmfg.com/Series/Plates

A 'standard' ceiling plate might be this one...
http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/CMA105

Which is a very pricey version of this from Lowes:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_30256-29760-61007_4294822020__?productId=4330334&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1
I think Lowes may have a much cheaper one because I usually get these for just a few bucks in the store.

The extension pipe is the same deal. What length do you need? A specific length is ALWAYS better than an adjustable length, and you can get about any length you need from Chief...
Adjustable options...
http://www.chiefmfg.com/Series/Extension-Adjustable
Fixed options...
http://www.chiefmfg.com/Series/Extension-Fixed

Or regular pipe from Lowes...
http://www.lowes.com/pd_25555-29760-10810_4294822021__?productId=4330228&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1

I'm certainly not telling you not to use Chief for everything, but good projector mount manufacturers use 1.5" pipe, and that pipe is not expensive - it's pretty inexpensive really. As well, when it comes to ceiling flanges and to the column, good manufacturers have interchangeable parts.

So, Peerless offers this very nice ceiling plate...
https://www.peerless-av.com/en-us/professional/products/ACC570

Which works fine with Lowes 1.5" pipe, and with the Chief RPMAU mount.

Likewise, Peerless has a long list of extension columns...
https://www.peerless-av.com/en-us/professional/product_categories/accessories/projector_mounts/extension_columns#https%3A%2F%2Fwww.peerless-av.com%2Fen-us%2Fprofessional%2Fproduct_categories%2Faccessories%2Fprojector_mounts%2Fextension_columns%2F10%2Fall

If you want to keep it simple, pick what you want from the links I provided from Chief, but the most important piece is the Chief RPMAU - that's the actual mount, and it is better than anything else I've seen on the market including mounts from Peerless and Premier.

post #19 of 36 Old 08-22-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

If you want a good mount that will truly last you for life that has easy adjustment and you will be happy with then get this:

http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/rpmau

Chief is not a one size fits all company in regards to their ceiling plates - do you connect to a junction box? A angle ceiling? You need a different color?

http://www.chiefmfg.com/Series/Plates

A 'standard' ceiling plate might be this one...
http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/CMA105

Which is a very pricey version of this from Lowes:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_30256-29760-61007_4294822020__?productId=4330334&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1
I think Lowes may have a much cheaper one because I usually get these for just a few bucks in the store.

The extension pipe is the same deal. What length do you need? A specific length is ALWAYS better than an adjustable length, and you can get about any length you need from Chief...
Adjustable options...
http://www.chiefmfg.com/Series/Extension-Adjustable
Fixed options...
http://www.chiefmfg.com/Series/Extension-Fixed

Or regular pipe from Lowes...
http://www.lowes.com/pd_25555-29760-10810_4294822021__?productId=4330228&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1

I'm certainly not telling you not to use Chief for everything, but good projector mount manufacturers use 1.5" pipe, and that pipe is not expensive - it's pretty inexpensive really. As well, when it comes to ceiling flanges and to the column, good manufacturers have interchangeable parts.

So, Peerless offers this very nice ceiling plate...
https://www.peerless-av.com/en-us/professional/products/ACC570

Which works fine with Lowes 1.5" pipe, and with the Chief RPMAU mount.

Likewise, Peerless has a long list of extension columns...
https://www.peerless-av.com/en-us/professional/product_categories/accessories/projector_mounts/extension_columns#https%3A%2F%2Fwww.peerless-av.com%2Fen-us%2Fprofessional%2Fproduct_categories%2Faccessories%2Fprojector_mounts%2Fextension_columns%2F10%2Fall

If you want to keep it simple, pick what you want from the links I provided from Chief, but the most important piece is the Chief RPMAU - that's the actual mount, and it is better than anything else I've seen on the market including mounts from Peerless and Premier.

Thanks for putting this together. I'm going to purchase these soon so I have it in time for the install. I definitely see that everyone is recommending Chief and thats the route that I want to go.

I'll be getting the Chief RPMAU mount, extender and ceiling plate. If the installer is able to mount the projector directly to the bulkhead that I won't need the extender. I'll try to measure to see what extender length I need and to make everything uniformed and OEM - I'll go with Chief. What wall plate do I need though? I noticed the Peerles one has a cut out for the cables to be fed through - Is this something that the Chief mounts have too? Also if I use an extender does the ceiling plate just get attached to the stud? Anything else required to make sure its secure?

Thanks
post #20 of 36 Old 08-22-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Also, I noticed the RPMAU is significantly more expensive than the RPAU. Can I use just the RPAU mount for the Epson 8350? I dont want to pay all this money on a mount etc.
post #21 of 36 Old 08-22-2013, 01:56 PM

Just to throw my .02 in ...

I too didn't hit a joist, so I just installed with the provided spring clip screws to mount the PJ. But as many above said, I didn't want to trust just that to hold my expensive toy, so I ended up bolting a strand of 1/4" steel cable to the joist and ran it down through the mount, and clamped it to my PJ's security bar. Not only is it a theft deterrent, but if the mount does ever fail, it will only fall about 4" and hang via the steel cable. Was cheaper and easier than other solutions, plus at the point I found I wasn't able to bolt into a joist, I had already bought everything and was at the installation point so didn't want to wait any longer.

Hope that helps.
post #22 of 36 Old 08-22-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

how should i run the cables to the projector that are fed in the drywall? Is there a wall plate that is usually recommended for that? I read that the peerless ceiling plate with the wire opening is too narrow and not functional. On monoprice i found just the recessed wall plate - i suppose this could do the job..

i was thinking something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=105&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042512&p_id=6625&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Or this since I will have the AV installer put in a power receptacle in the ceiling

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=109&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042513&p_id=4006&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

what do you guys think?
post #23 of 36 Old 08-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

post #24 of 36 Old 08-22-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I like the one listed above... I get them in BLACK for a theater since you should be painting your ceiling dark and should have installed dark/black power outlets, covers, etc.

There are many installations where I have run the wiring down inside the pipe the entire way. Just cut a 1.5" hole in the ceiling, and feed the wires through that. It works well and gives you the cleanest path possible.

There are pipes which have a opening in them as well which are available...

This one is a Chief version, but others make them.

There are also offset plates so you can open up the ceiling above the plate and drop the wires down more easily...

Once again, I'm on Chief's website, but you can look at Peerless or others.

Do not get the Chief RPA series, those interfaces are mediocre. Better than others, but still difficult to fine tune. On a budget, consider the mount from HTDepot.com

post #25 of 36 Old 08-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13

I got one of those since I wanted to run my projector back to the UPS. Otherwise since you will have an outlet near the projector you can just use one of those single gang pass through wall plates.
post #26 of 36 Old 08-27-2013, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

i ended up getting a chief rpa168 mount, chief 12-18in adjustable extender pipe, and a peerless wall plate. i also got wall plates with a electrical outlet and recessed wiring organizer to feed the cables to the projector.

thanks for the help all!!!
post #27 of 36 Old 09-10-2013, 10:00 PM

I recently had the JVC-RS4810 projector installed. I wanted the lense to be 15 ft from the screen wall. The installer placed it 13 ft from screen wall and said he had to because the stud in the attic was at 13 ft.

Im in the attic checking on some ac duct issues and decided to take a look at how the projector was attached in the attic. This is what I found.

projector1.jpg 132k .jpg file

The mount plate has the center hole for the column (seen in picture) and 4 screws (2 seen in picture).

It looks like all he did was screw into the dry wall. It's possible that the other two screws on the mounting plate were screwed into that stud but i doubt it. I will have to go back in the attic and check.

So my question

#1 If the two mount screws that you cant see in the picture are installed into that stud would that be an acceptable install? or should all 4 screws on the mount plate go into a stud, plywood etc and not just drywall

#2 I was thinking of having a 4x6 cut to fit the space between the joists and attach it at each end to the joists. Then have install guys take down projector and re-install further back from screen wall and into the 4x6.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg projector1.jpg (131.7 KB, 50 views)
post #28 of 36 Old 09-10-2013, 10:02 PM

This is what the mount looks like from inside the room.

The projector weighs 33 pounds and i will be changing the column on it now to one that can extend an additional ft.

projector 2.jpg 96k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg projector 2.jpg (95.5 KB, 42 views)
post #29 of 36 Old 09-11-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quick follow-up I had this installed a couple of weeks ago with the Peerless ceiling plate and the RPA168 mount with 2" extension column. We were able to get it mounted on a stud and it looks good!

Only confusion was that we were told that the RPA-168 mount could mount to the ceiling directly without the use of an extension column but didnt see how this was possible and ended up picking up a 2" threaded pipe and using the peerless plate to install the PJ.
post #30 of 36 Old 09-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quick follow-up I had this installed a couple of weeks ago with the Peerless ceiling plate and the RPA168 mount with 2" extension column. We were able to get it mounted on a stud and it looks good!

Only confusion was that we were told that the RPA-168 mount could mount to the ceiling directly without the use of an extension column but didnt see how this was possible and ended up picking up a 2" threaded pipe and using the peerless plate to install the PJ.

The RPA mount can be mounted directly onto the ceiling.

Did your mount come with the instruction manual? The information you want is on the bottom of page 4 top of page 5.

http://downloads.chiefmfg.com/MANUALS-I/RPA-I.pdf

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page