Epson PowerLite X12 "Business" Projector Video sample. Cheap but great! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-23-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey,

So I decided to try the Epson PowerLite X12. Got it for $400 from walmart.com and wanted to try it out for my backyard Patio Movie nights.

Plugged it in to my PS3 and changed no settings. This video is on a semi-gloss tan painted wall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNGfpWfFVzg&hd=1

This post was just mainly to show the newbs to projectors, like myself, that there are really cheap "business" projectors out there that you can use for outdoor theaters like the one I'm building. Where top notch, award winning picture quality isn't really that big of a deal. And maybe you just want to watch a movie with the family in the evenings.

I'm still going to order a screen, though this helps in my hunt since this is on a semi-gloss tan painted wall, that is actually quite reflective, that the screen doesn't have to be perfect to enjoy a movie with the family. I will probably order Carls Blackout material on Amazon and hang that up outside for my screen

My projector / PS3 / Reciever / Subwoofer / 4 Speakers are on an A/V Cart I purchased from OfficeMax.com for $65, so I can store it in the closet or near the patio door and wheel it out when I want to have a movie outside, plug it in, and offload the front speakers only and put them in front of us for the movie. I'll post which cart I got, it is heavy duty and cheap, so it may work for other people out there considering the same thing.

Be gentle on me, let me know what you think.

At any rate.....

Here is the specs on the Projector:

EPSON PowerLite X12 XGA 3LCD Projector

Projection System: 3LCD, 3-chip technology

Projection Method: Front / rear / ceiling mount

Driving Method: Poly-silicon TFT Active Matrix

Pixel Number: 786,432 dots (1024 x 768) x 3

Color Brightness (Color Light Output): 2800 lumens1

White Brightness (White Light Output): 2800 lumens1

Aspect Ratio: 4:3

Native Resolution: 1024 x 768 (XGA)

Resize: 640 x 480 (VGA), 800 x 600 (SVGA), 1152 x 864 (SXGA1), 1280 x 800 (WXGA), 1280 x 960 (SXGA2), 1280 x 1024 (SXGA3), 1280 x 768 (WXGA60-1), 1360 x 768 (WXGA60-2), 1400 x 1050 (SXGA+), 1440 x 900 (WXGA+), 1600 x 1200 (UXGA60)

Lamp Type: E-TORL™ 200 W UHE

Lamp Life:
•ECO mode: Up to 5000 hours2
•Normal mode: Up to 4000 hours2

Throw Ratio Range: 1.48 – 1.77 (4:3)

Size (projected distance): 30" – 300" (2.9' – 35.9')

Keystone Correction:
•Automatic: Vertical: ±30 degrees
•Slider: Horizontal: ±30 degrees

USB Plug 'n Play: Projector is compatible with PC and Mac® computers

Contrast Ratio: Up to 3000:1

Color Reproduction: 16.77 million colors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-23-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the AV Cart that I am using. Again, not top of the line, just enough to do the job and not a lot of money. I know you can get fancy ones with adjustable shelves and built in power outlets, but you pay through the nose for those. A Surge Protector Power strip for $20 will do me just fine.

Tuffy 3 Shelf Cart - Black

Here is the link to Walmart where I got the projector for $400 and had it shipped to local walmart for free:

Epson PowerLite X12
post #3 of 7 Old 07-23-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Here is another video, to show the lighting conditions I am taking this in as well as what I am projecting it onto. Again, out of the box, onto the cart and plug and play. The change in lighting on this video is simply my iPhone adjusting itself for exposure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGF6RiDjEZg&hd=1
post #4 of 7 Old 07-24-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmanusd View Post

Hey,

So I decided to try the Epson PowerLite X12. Got it for $400 from walmart.com and wanted to try it out for my backyard Patio Movie nights.

Plugged it in to my PS3 and changed no settings. This video is on a semi-gloss tan painted wall.

Be gentle on me, let me know what you think.

Why would anyone criticize your choice? An inexpensive bright 4:3 portable projector with HDMI for outdoor movie showing - looks like what I might pick if I was interested in doing an outside movie theater.

In my part of the country watching movies outdoors in the summer would be hazardous since the mosquitoes would be picking off most of the attendees. wink.gif

Post some video of your outdoor theater presentation when you get a chance.

Cheers.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #5 of 7 Old 07-25-2013, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Nice and cheap with no worries about dlp rainbow, plenty bright for outdoor 2800 lumens. With 720p everything from dvd to blu ray will look great.

4:3, first thing that comes to mind is hook up a nintendo. biggrin.gif
post #6 of 7 Old 07-30-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Ale View Post

Nice and cheap with no worries about dlp rainbow, plenty bright for outdoor 2800 lumens. With 720p everything from dvd to blu ray will look great.

4:3, first thing that comes to mind is hook up a nintendo. biggrin.gif

Yeah… That's why I wanted to get a non-DLP projector because I didn't want to take a risk of everybody I know getting headaches from watching movie night And never coming back...

I ordered the 110" x 150" blackout screen raw material from Carl's Place... Should suit me well
post #7 of 7 Old 08-08-2013, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
That is how I got into projectors 10+ years ago... But they were $3k for a low-contrast high-output LCD then.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page