Epson 707 gold 3LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-26-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Aside from 3 non-helpful Amazon reviews and a post on the AVS UK forums (that only asks if it's a good buy and only two people relied) I can't find much info on this projector. Epson has a link on the 707 Gold's product page to an article about DLP vs 3LCD but that just discusses color brightness.

Anyone else heard anything or actually have one of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-26-2013, 10:28 AM

Liked: 14
From what I have read on the specs, it seems to be nearly identical to the epson 710hd. It's just cheaper by about $100. The only difference I could see on the epson website was that the 710HD had 100 more lumens than the 707 (2800 vs 2700; big deal). I owned the 710 for a little bit before going with the epson 8350. It was great, I just wanted a little better performance as far as black levels went. Hope this helps.

post #3 of 6 Old 07-26-2013, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I saw one displayed at a local box and mortar store and it seemed pretty damn nice, the auto adjust for keystone worked flawlessly as I moved it around to see how it worked, including the slider for the horizontal. it seemed the keystone was plenty for most viewing applications. The thing threw a very good picture with great colors. What surprised me most was how bright it was, they had it displaying next to a 5020ub and it was miles brighter than the 5020, even with both adjusted to dynamic-the brightest setting, I even tried the 3d and it was still way brighter. I wouldn't be surprised if it was slightly underrated far as lumens go cause it didn't seem like a 300 lumen difference. The 5020 had a slightly bigger screen, but that 720p projector sure puts out some light. The store even had some big halogen lights shining on the screen and I played with that to see how it destroyed the picture and it held up surprising well. I think this would be a great living room projector with ambient light. My parents were there with me and didn't want to upgrade from their current old pj, until they saw this one. I wonder if its the same pj as the 750hd which has 3d, because it seems to be about as bright as its 3000 lumen rating. Maybe they share some same guts, minus the 3D. Far as contrast goes it doesn't compare to the 5020, it was leagues above that, but to be honest the dazzling bright picture of the 707 was just as appealing for a less than ideal living room setup where contrast will be destroyed anyway
The different picture modes all looked very similar and were very bright as well. I think for the price point you cant go wrong, depending on your particular room setup and what you are looking for from a pj. If you have any questions let me know. I was going to get this one for my parents, but they wouldn't mind 3D, so I'll probably step up to the 750HD for them for 800 bucks, but if you don't want 3D, I'd just get this one
post #4 of 6 Old 07-26-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Yeah it will mainly be used for watching Football & Hockey. I'm a little worried that it doesn't have one of those "smoothing" chips but I think the cheapest projector with one is $1200 which would cause my wife to behead me.

Main thing I'm really excited about other then the colors is the zero rainbow effect, that alone is worth some serious $$ to me.

There is a referb PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 on Epson's site for $900... trying to determine if 1080P is worth $400 or not....
post #5 of 6 Old 07-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
By smoothing chip, are you referring to the frame interpolation? I really think this feature is great and works well on sports, although too high of a setting creates its own artifact type, but once you watch a lot of FI, you won't like the blurry image of fast motion. I usually watch FI on low and then when I go to the movies, I notice fast scenes are so blurry, then I realize "Oh yeah, no frame interpolation just 24 frames". Which I truly do love as 24 frames give it a surreal look, but for fast movements like sports and FI, its great. I actually feel like this was one of the best features that has come out recently, its fun to play with and definitely changes the viewing experience. Sometimes it pays to upgrade more from the get go because then your content for more years in between purchases. I still love my old 6500ub Epson, it throws a great bright picture, has frame interpolation and has great blacks (75k), I plan on upgrading soon, only because I want 3D, otherwise I'd be content for several more years until a nice cheap high contrast/bright 4k pj comes out

It doesn't sound like you will be investing in PJs every few years, if that is the case, then I'd suggest stepping up to the 1080p pj only because you'll see less of the compression artifacts, or I should say they will be less noticeable by a big margin when watching sports on tv, and the picture will look better with the higher contrast. You could get away with a 2000 lumen pj in the afternoon with just a bit of light coming through, my dad would have the game on with his 1600 lumen pj with a 135 inch screen, most of the shades drawn, and the picture wasn't bad, not as good as that 707 would be at all, but still palatable. I know the 3010 has a simple frame interpolation, but I don't think it would help with sports, only 24 frame movies, but it does have split screen so you can watch two programs at once, and it has 2200 lumens and 3D if your ever so inclined in the future for $950 for refurbished. The difference between 720 and 1080 is noticeable, but not that much, I think contrast ratio makes the picture much better and if you don't go with 1080, you'll always wonder if you made the right choice, plus blu rays will look much better on that 8350 or comparable pj than 707
post #6 of 6 Old 09-05-2013, 01:49 PM

Liked: 10
I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago for my new home theater, and I am pretty pleased with it. I had originally bought Viewsonic's new entry-level 1080p DLP projector for $650. That projector was so sharp and had great black levels and good color. But the rainbows! Oh the rainbows drove me nuts. It was fine with colorful movies like Finding Nemo or Toy Story, but any dark scenes or high contrast scenes, it was like an acid flashback with all the tracers and rainbows. So I reluctantly returned it, paid the 15% restocking fee(ouch), and got the Epson 707 Gold. The Epson has amazing color. While the fleshtones of the Viewsonic always made everyone look a little sunburnt, the Epson looks great and natural. My only two complaints are that the Epson is not as sharp, not being 1080p, and it doesn't have the contrast of the Viewsonic, so some detail is lost there. But to not have rainbows? It is awesome and only slightly less amazing than the 1080p Viewsonic.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 707 720p 3lcd Projector Gold Edition , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page