Anyone ever felt peer pressured into buying more than you want, or can afford? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 07-28-2013, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I feel indirect pressure to get a Panasonic AE8000, and don't want to nor can I "afford" a $3000+ projector. I am looking at $1500 or lower priced, 1080p PJs but feel I have to, since all my buddies are saying how awesome Pacific Rim was in theaters, in 3D. One of them said he's going to upgrade and get a 60 inch 3DTV and I want to make sure my friends will still come over to watch a movie once in a while on a projector in 2D.

I'm afraid people will go over to his house for movie watching instead of mine, since he has 3D and I dont.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-28-2013, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So get a 3d projector within your budget. There are plenty of options. That aside, set a budget you are comfortable with and stick to it!!! There are a ton of great projectors under $1500 that are throw up a stunning picture and some that do a great job on 3d to boot.

iMO, projectors kick TVs ass when it comes to movies, 3d or not, so regardless of your choice, your buddies will come to watch stuff on the big screen, rather than a puny 60" TV.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-28-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 378
The AE8000 is a great projector and if you have a dedicated theater room with dark walls, ceiling, carpet, and furniture it certainly will be an excellent match... But, not everyone can go that route, or even cares enough to want to.

With that said, the BenQ W1070, Epson 3020, Optoma HD25 and 25LV, and several others are excellent 3D home theater projectors which cost under $1,500. The Epson 8350 is more flexible on placement, is similarly priced, but doesn't include 3D.

I'm using the BenQ W1070 on a 161" screen without problem in the lowest power setting and it looks great... haven't tried 3D on it yet.

You WILL have to take some serious placement issues into account with these lesser expensive models, but you certainly can deliver up the good stuff at a reasonable price.

A good screen, IMO, is a must and you can make one yourself, buy an inexpensive fixed frame model, or go to a nicer screen if you like. A good screen should outlast any projector you purchase and is worth spending a bit more money on.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #4 of 20 Old 07-28-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I think you have your situation backwards.

If you are able to prep your room somewhat -- darken it a little, deaden the acoustics a bit and hook up a modest sound system -- then it is YOU who will be exerting peer pressure on your buddies, not vice-versa.

The differences between the $1000 and $3000 projectors are quite modest. Get a BenQ W1070 or an Optima HD25, spend $1k on room treatment and a sound system, and you'll be $1000 ahead of the game.

When you're done, the impact of a truly big screen presentation will make your friends forget all about their "puny" flatscreens.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
How old are you?

"Peer pressure" and you're afraid they're gonna go to another friends to watch movies?

Does that other friend's parents provide better snacks?
post #6 of 20 Old 07-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
One thing I have learned in life is ? keeping up with the Jones and making other people happy, or to please them, or to impress them by buying some thing is a wasted effort and futile.

Other people want you to buy this and buy that and the thing is what the heck do they care ? it's not their money.

Do your self a favor and have peace from a restless mind.... go out and buy what you want, not what your friends and family wants because at the end of the day your the one who is stuck with the bills.

My advise ? you want 3D ? buy the Optomia HD33, and if you look around you might find a Optoma HD25 for under $ 1000.

The sad part of this is ? other than the Acer K750 ? there are no 1080 P LED projectors for under $ 1000 and the Acer K750 does not do 3D.

Now there are some 720P LED projectors that can do 3D as in the LGPA75U and the new Acer K335 and Vivitek Qumi 7.

The LGPA75U you might find a Newegg deal soon for $ 580.

The Acer K335 and the Vivitek Qumi 7 will be around $ 1000.
post #7 of 20 Old 07-28-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Panny 8000 for 3K+ confused.gif

I have bought 3 recently, all for under $2200.

???????????????

http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/Panasonic-LCD-Projector-p/ptae8000u.htm?gclid=CNvRtv6D6bQCFQsGnQodkUUA-g

If you had valid reasons for "needing" the 8000's feature set, then at the listed price...basically...the pressure's off.

.......except the reality of "you get what you pay for if you know exactly what you need /want."

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #8 of 20 Old 07-28-2013, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Yes projectors trump TVs in the wow eek.gif factor.
I bet if this person gets a decent projector all thier buddies would want to watch at their house, but, that's not the reason why I would buy a projector.
I want a projector because I want to enjoy it and if the family loves it too then that's a added bonus.
post #9 of 20 Old 07-28-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

How old are you?

"Peer pressure" and you're afraid they're gonna go to another friends to watch movies?

Does that other friend's parents provide better snacks?

I was going to say the same thing. I don't let my "friends" put me into debt I don't need, either.

Buy what YOU want, not your friends. Really???? rolleyes.gif
nickoakdl likes this.

Welcome to the darkside.....
post #10 of 20 Old 07-28-2013, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

"Peer pressure" as a factor in the AVS forums seems to have dissipated somewhat now that Pioneer has given up the Kuro ghost.

The term itself is pejorative. If you substitute "upgrade fever" for "peer pressure," it makes more sense. To me the two are interchangeable. How else can one explain the urge to replace flatscreens every two or three years?

It does appear to be surviving over in the audio forums.

Heaven help us if the 4K stuff ever becomes truly viable.
Sonyad likes this.
post #11 of 20 Old 07-28-2013, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I'm glad to hear it is only indirect pressure. You sound insecure about this. If I had a friend who would not visit with me because I did not have a certain type of projector, I would not feel too bad about losing such.
post #12 of 20 Old 07-28-2013, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

I'm afraid people will go over to his house for movie watching instead of mine....

LOL, the biggest peer pressure is to have a pretty sister... And you can't beat that no matter what TV you've got.
post #13 of 20 Old 07-28-2013, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post

I think you have your situation backwards.

If you are able to prep your room somewhat -- darken it a little, deaden the acoustics a bit and hook up a modest sound system -- then it is YOU who will be exerting peer pressure on your buddies, not vice-versa.

The differences between the $1000 and $3000 projectors are quite modest. Get a BenQ W1070 or an Optima HD25, spend $1k on room treatment and a sound system, and you'll be $1000 ahead of the game.

When you're done, the impact of a truly big screen presentation will make your friends forget all about their "puny" flatscreens.

My drywall is smooth-- free of any holes or bumps, and is an ivory color. It is matte and not semi-gloss. I used to own the Epson 8350 which was an AMAZING projector but the BenQ W1070st has my interest. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is the revised version of the normal w1070, right?

I am on TrustedReviews.com reading about the W1070st, and amazingly, from only 1 meter away from a wall, a 65" image can be made. I needed my Epson 12 feet away and maximum optical zoom of 2x in order to get a 95" screen size.

So in terms of short distance throw, BenQ can create a 130" image from only 2 meters away, correct?
post #14 of 20 Old 07-29-2013, 12:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

My drywall is smooth-- free of any holes or bumps, and is an ivory color. It is matte and not semi-gloss. I used to own the Epson 8350 which was an AMAZING projector but the BenQ W1070st has my interest. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is the revised version of the normal w1070, right?

I am on TrustedReviews.com reading about the W1070st, and amazingly, from only 1 meter away from a wall, a 65" image can be made. I needed my Epson 12 feet away and maximum optical zoom of 2x in order to get a 95" screen size.

So in terms of short distance throw, BenQ can create a 130" image from only 2 meters away, correct?

Use this to measure distance and throw:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator-pro.htm
post #15 of 20 Old 07-29-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Sheesh,

Anyone who cannot grasp the difference between a 2400 lumen PJ with superior Optics and 500,000:1 contrast vs a Short throw w/ Edge issues and only 10,000:1 CR needs a lot more than advice. He needs to take a good long look getting sufficiently aware of what does and does not constitute quality.

That said, Why / how was the 8000 even considered. Someone tell him it was his only correct choice?

Now if Gaming is an essential part of the OP's existence, then absolutely the 1080st offers up a unique experience. But.........the OP had better be advised of that PJ's mounting considerations. The 1080 has virtually no Image Offset, so it will need to either be mounted with sufficient "Drop", or tilted and it's Vertical Keystone applied. When a Short Throw PJ is used, then all the detrimental aspects of using Keystone ing can be magnified.

All of which means his location / height of screen and and a exacting and precise location of the PJ must be coordinated. And THAT can be daunting for a NOOB. The only "easy way" is to mount the PJ "FIRST"...square and true the image perimeters, tape those borders off, then paint the screen. (...The OP did make mention as to how nice and perfect the condition of his wall was...)

3D, eh? One must make note that the 1080st uses DLP-Link, a system known to have it's Glasses lose sync with the PJ all too often for most peoples' liking.

Lastly, the 1080st benefits from shooting onto a 1.2 to 1.3 gain surface. A small degree of Retro-Reflectivity helps keep the light directed back toward the viewing location, and off of the room's reflective surfaces. Reflected light (..beyond ambient...) will work to wash out the 1080st's Blacks.

Yessir....Homework needs must be assigned...lest a Pop Quiz at the end render the OP subject to a failing grade and being kept back.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #16 of 20 Old 07-29-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Sheesh,

Anyone who cannot grasp the difference between a 2400 lumen PJ with superior Optics and 500,000:1 contrast vs a Short throw w/ Edge issues and only 10,000:1 CR needs a lot more than advice.
"500:000:1 contrast ratio" ???

"10:000:1 contrast ratio" ???

I must have missed some Quantum Leap in AV Science. Any and all measured "contrast ratio" numbers I have reviewed were missing one or two zeroes off of those figures.
Quote:
Yessir....Homework needs must be assigned...lest a Pop Quiz at the end render the OP subject to a failing grade and being kept back.
Indeed. Specsmanship 101 would seem a good place to start.
post #17 of 20 Old 07-29-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:

You are talking about the W1080ST not the W1070. The W1070 is not a short throw projector, and has a great image to cost value. The W1080ST is a very unique product as it is a true short throw 1080p home theater projector. But, as is often the case, the short throw optics leave a fair bit to be desired and unless you absolutely must have the ultra short throw that this model offers, you would be far better off with the W1070, which will look almost identical to the Epson 8350.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #18 of 20 Old 07-29-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

You are talking about the W1080ST not the W1070. .......and unless you absolutely must have the ultra short throw that this model offers, you would be far better off with the W1070, which will look almost identical to the Epson 8350.

Yes...and the BenQ W1070 will have Vertical Lens Shift too, so it can be mounted high enough that the image's angled beam will still be as removed from traffic interference. Most Gamers won't try to crowd closer than 6' from a 110" screen (8' wide) and unless the OP decided to place the image at a bottom height of under 30", he should not include worrying about such.

Even so, a Short Throw does offer a unique "Gosh...I didn't know you could do that with a PJ" sorts wonderment, and somehow it seems "unique" just might be something the OP wants in a system.

Oh 'ell...it's all good.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #19 of 20 Old 07-29-2013, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

I use to use black out cloth as a screen that held me over until I could get a real screen.
Last year I picked up a Inland 109 inch 1.2 gain screen at Micro Center for $ 65 , yes you heard it right $ 65.
Don't know if cost for a screen is a huge factor in you buying a projector but that's a another choice other than making a home made screen.
post #20 of 20 Old 07-30-2013, 02:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPProjectorfan View Post

I use to use black out cloth as a screen that held me over until I could get a real screen.
Last year I picked up a Inland 109 inch 1.2 gain screen at Micro Center for $ 65 , yes you heard it right $ 65.
Don't know if cost for a screen is a huge factor in you buying a projector but that's a another choice other than making a home made screen.

Using any "Set positioned" surface is not an easy task when the PJ has no lens shift, a Lens Offset, and the PJs placement must be exactingly perfect on every point.

It is the cumulative demands of both PJ / Screen that dictate any correct choice, although it's obvious that a great many "fails" are due to not knowing what either s limitations are.

Even in DIY, a bargain doesn't amount to any real savings if you don't get what needs to be accomplished done, or if done, done poorly or with great difficulty.

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector , Optoma Hd25 Hd 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page