Refurb risk -- 8350 / 5010 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-28-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Panasonic AX200u has developed the infamous "bulb flicker" after 1000 hours on the bulb. I was about to purchase an OEM replacement lamp for $300+. Then I noticed that the refurb'd 8350 and 5010 are available from Visual Apex at prices that make investing in a new bulb a harder decision.

My fear is that with the numerous threads of people having to return these projectors several times before getting a "good one" that I will be embarking on a painful journey that I have no patience or time for. But I am also familiar with the "internet effect" where bad news always dominates good news so perhaps the odds are in my favor after all.

Is there any better decision (for the money) that I could be making? Is the 5010 worth the 78% premium over the 8350?
If, after several attempts to get a "good one" will I be able to get a refund (from Epson) or am I locked into a 2 year chain of replacements?

fyi -- 1. I looked at the W1070 etc. and I am not about to rip up my theater to accommodate the limited mounting options associated with these alternatives.
2. I racked up my AX200 1000 hours of usage after about 6 years, so I am not the enthusiast that I was when I built the theater. I do enjoy using it, but I have many other interests.
3. I started this madness with the Sanyo PLV60HT @ $5000 many years ago. I would never make that type of investment again.

Thanks,
Mat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I wouldn't be afraid to buy the refurb, I think there are just some seriously picky people out there. I returned a couple of my pjs when I first got it because I noticed some color uniformity issues, which was only an issue on black and white movies, at least that I could see and the other had a dust blob after I had it a year or so. I think you'll be stuck with it, and won't be able to get a refund, but I think its worth paying 1000 bucks less. I was going to go this route with the 5010, but new pjs will be introduced in a few months, so Im just going to wait. I never noticed some of the other issues that people complain about until I put up a specific screen to see the issue such as pixel alignment, then I was a few problems, but after switching out the pjs because of the other problems mentioned, I still didn't notice the difference with the newer ones. I think some people just want things to be perfect, while others have major problems along with some bad luck. I wouldn't be surprised if its not epsons fault. When UPS dropped my pjs off, they literally dropped them on the porch, that's how I knew they arrived cause I could hear it slam against the porch. I also worked for UPS, and boxes just get thrown around when loading them into the truck. So I can't imagine this is good for the projectors.

whether its a 78% difference, is pretty subjective, my parents couldn't really tell the difference between a low budget 720p projector and higher end 1080p. So I'd have to ask, how happy are you with the picture quality of your Panasonic? do you want 1080p? you could get the 8350 if you don't want 3D. I myself am perfectly content with my Epson 6500 with 75k contrast ratio, but want to upgrade for the 3d alone, so its a pricey endeavor, but I'll pay it to have it. IF you don't want 3d, or higher contrast, why pay the high premium for it, when the cheaper one will do. Is your room light controlled with dark walls? if not the extra contrast might be limited anyway.

Personally I think electronics is pricy for what we get and theres always something newer and better on the horizon, so its definitely better to pay the lowest price point in my opinion. Of course you could wait a few months and see what kind of deals will come to make room for the new pjs that will be coming out
post #3 of 9 Old 07-28-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
When you're talking about the price of a 5010, you might as well give AVS a try on a refurb JVC RS45 which IMO is a "better" projector I also happened to own. At least AVS did the test for you before shipping it out.

I can imagine the depreciation on your old Sony. Some of us had already gone thru the "pain" of pleasure of upgrading.

GL.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-29-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I was in the same situation, wondering if it was cost effective to repair an older projector. I decided to purchase a refurbished 8350 from projector people. It has the same warranty as a new one so what the heck. It hasn't arrived yet (I just ordered it), so I have no review to give you about a refurbished one, but I could not justify the price of a new one and given the reviews it gets, I could not justify a more expensive brand or model either.

post #5 of 9 Old 07-31-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I bought a refurb 8700UB in spite of all the bad stories on the net.

Still biting my fingernails as I plugged it in for it's first checkout I was delighted (and hugely relieved) that it was essentially PERFECT. Smack-on in the center with HALF a pixel off at the extreme edges.
I attribute that to optical distortion.

So my experience with a refurb was great from the start, but I did figure I'd have to send a few back when I bought it.

Your mileage may vary, but it seems the risk on a refurb is no greater than on a new one.

I consider this technology to be a short lived, throw away venture to begin with. But I needed a (cheap) "bridge" to a good LED projector in the near future.

Having said that, I am absolutely satisfied with the current performance of my epson for the $1400 I paid for it.

Welcome to the darkside.....
post #6 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 07:07 AM

Liked: 11
You can buy referb 8350's direct from Epson. Last I checked they were $899 which I think is the same price as every place else.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Just to update my prior commment, I received the refurbished 8350 I puchased from projectorpeople. It arrived a day early and seeminly in perfect condition. It looked brand-new and the lamp timer said 0 hours (I don't know if that's true of if Epson reset the timer before sending it out). The projector seems fine and I have thus far not noticed any problems with it.

post #8 of 9 Old 08-01-2013, 11:07 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnilsson View Post

Just to update my prior commment, I received the refurbished 8350 I puchased from projectorpeople. It arrived a day early and seeminly in perfect condition. It looked brand-new and the lamp timer said 0 hours (I don't know if that's true of if Epson reset the timer before sending it out). The projector seems fine and I have thus far not noticed any problems with it.

I've read in some forums that all of the refurbs done by Epson have new lamps.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-02-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehal88 View Post

I've read in some forums that all of the refurbs done by Epson have new lamps.

That is correct.

Welcome to the darkside.....
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Panasonic Pt Ax200u 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page