Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-28-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This is my first foray in to digital projectors and seek some advice;

The room I want to install a projection system in is 14 1/2 feet long 12ft wide I am looking at either the BenQ W1070 or 1080ST with an Elite ELECTRIC84 Electric Projection Screen (84 Inch 16:9 AR). This room has shutters which can shut out most of the light making the room fairly dark.

This system will be used mostly for Blue Ray/HDDVD movies and HDTV and get about 3hrs a day usage normally, at least until Football seasons starts then Saturdays and Sundays will probably double even triple that.

The screen will be mounted on one of the 12 foot walls the seating will be 10-11feet from that wall. I want to shelf mount the projector on the back wall behind the seating area. I am looking at an OmniMount Tria 1 B shelf for that as it is adjustable in 1 inch increments which could prove handy when initially dialing in the image on the screen.

Here is where I start to get confused; I checked http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm it shows the 1080ST for a 84inch screen has a throw distance of 4 feet and the W1070 has an 8ft throw, however the distance I will need is closer to 13ft.

Is the throw distance calculated the minimum?

Meaning I could still place it near 13ft from the screen and dial in the image but it might not be as tight as it could be?

I am going to use my receiver to control HDMI inputs so will run a single HDMI cable to the projector is there a limit on HDMI cable length without the signal degradation?

The other question I have would be screen size there is also a 85 Inch 16:10 AR version am I losing anything not going with it instead?

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If you want to throw from 13ft, a short throw projector is not applicable. I think the 1070 has some zoom capability, but not 5 feet worth. The calculator should show you the range of zoom.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-28-2013, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

If you want to throw from 13ft, a short throw projector is not applicable. I think the 1070 has some zoom capability, but not 5 feets worth. The calculator should show you the range of zoom.

Checked it again and yes it does, the 1070 is 7-9ft range well short of what I want, which was to avoid ceiling mounting.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-29-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like both the Epson 3010 and 3020 will do 13ft throw @ a 84 inch screen so will opt for one of those, likely the 3010 as I am not sure the +100 lumens is worth the extra $200-$300+ that the 3020 will cost.

Now that it appears I will be able to shelf mount one it leads me to my next question; if I shelf mount a projector on the back wall is it optimum to set the shelf height so that the projector lens lines up as close to dead center of the screen as possible?

Or is it better to have it higher than center and aim it down?

Thanks.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-29-2013, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What do you mean by "aim down"? Do you mean tilt the projector, or use some sort of lens shift? You should not tilt the projector. It should be as level as possible, unless it cannot be avoided.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-29-2013, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjust View Post

What do you mean by "aim down"? Do you mean tilt the projector, or use some sort of lens shift? You should not tilt the projector. It should be as level as possible, unless it cannot be avoided.

I have seen pictures of ceiling mounted ones and some look as if they are on a slight angle downward.

However if I am supposed to keep it as level as possible then the shelf height should be such that the lens is positioned both vertically and horizontally as center to the screen as possible correct?
post #7 of 9 Old 07-29-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 329
You have a bunch of things you 'want' to do, but you don't know enough yet to know why it is you can't do them.

1. Projectors go where their lens allows them to go. So, as you've just found out, a projector which doesn't have the right throw distance for your mounting distance doesn't work.

2. Projectors that don't have lens shift and you want to rear shelf mount can't work. They MUST be placed upside down when near the ceiling. This is a hard rule and you can't get around it. If you want to rear shelf mount, the cheapest decent solution is the Epson 8350 which is several years old.

3. Do NOT TILT YOUR PROJECTOR!!!

4. If you like sitting 'center of theater' then 84" is not a large enough screen. About 100" is appropriate for a 11' viewing distance for 'center of theater' feel.

5. Electric screens that are not tab tensioned are stupid. Flat out - bad choice, beginners foolishness, etc. You name it, it's a bad decision. Non-tab-tensioned retractable screens get waves in the material within 1-2 years maximum, then must be replaced. Granted, at $150 it doesn't get much cheaper, but both Elite and FAVI have 100" manual retractable screens for $100. That saves you some cash and gets you to a more 'normal' screen size.

Hopefully you are willing to do some more reading and research before you make any purchase, but these are a bunch of first timer mistakes that I have seen dozens of times over the years. If you are REALLY sold on an electric screen, then think about stepping up to a tab-tensioned electric screen. A good one will last you for 12+ years easily.

ie: http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-TE100HW2-E24-CineTension2-Projection/dp/B001A7Z75A/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375147647&sr=1-8&keywords=100+inch+projector+screen+tensioned

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-30-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 192
As others have said the projector (regardless of make and model) must be kept level in order to have the correct image geometry (unless the screen is tilted). The 3020 lacks lens shift and as a result there is only one correct vertical position for any given screen size/location. As an alternative you may want check out a factory refurb Epson 5010. This is a higher performance projector that also has very wide range vertical, and horizontal, lens shift adjustments. In your case a 5010 could be mounted anywhere from way above the top of the screen to anywhere down to the bottom of the screen. The 5010 review is HERE. You can find these for about $1600 from forum sponsor Visual Apex (they are selling the refurb units on eBay - HERE) and they come with the Epson warranty. You might also want to call the AV Science Store (1-877-823-4452) to see if they have any Epson 5010 refurbs.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #9 of 9 Old 07-30-2013, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

You have a bunch of things you 'want' to do, but you don't know enough yet to know why it is you can't do them.

1. Projectors go where their lens allows them to go. So, as you've just found out, a projector which doesn't have the right throw distance for your mounting distance doesn't work.

2. Projectors that don't have lens shift and you want to rear shelf mount can't work. They MUST be placed upside down when near the ceiling. This is a hard rule and you can't get around it. If you want to rear shelf mount, the cheapest decent solution is the Epson 8350 which is several years old.

3. Do NOT TILT YOUR PROJECTOR!!!

4. If you like sitting 'center of theater' then 84" is not a large enough screen. About 100" is appropriate for a 11' viewing distance for 'center of theater' feel.

5. Electric screens that are not tab tensioned are stupid. Flat out - bad choice, beginners foolishness, etc. You name it, it's a bad decision. Non-tab-tensioned retractable screens get waves in the material within 1-2 years maximum, then must be replaced. Granted, at $150 it doesn't get much cheaper, but both Elite and FAVI have 100" manual retractable screens for $100. That saves you some cash and gets you to a more 'normal' screen size.

Hopefully you are willing to do some more reading and research before you make any purchase, but these are a bunch of first timer mistakes that I have seen dozens of times over the years. If you are REALLY sold on an electric screen, then think about stepping up to a tab-tensioned electric screen. A good one will last you for 12+ years easily.

ie: http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-TE100HW2-E24-CineTension2-Projection/dp/B001A7Z75A/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375147647&sr=1-8&keywords=100+inch+projector+screen+tensioned

Yes I have a lot to learn, Lens shift, Keystone, Lumens, contrast ratio's, anamorphic viewing, etc... then there is screen types, screen mats, my head is spinning.

I could probably go with a 100 inch screen the problem is the wall it will go on has and AC vent in the upper corner, so due to the screen width I would have install it so the top of the screen housing is below that vent which would mean about 14 inches below the ceiling on an 8ft high wall. Sitting here looking at the wall and imagining the lower position of the screen it would be better, more in the line of sight of the viewer.

The reason I am leaning toward an electric screen is that I am visualizing that manual ones would act much like a pull down window shade and never pull down to the same spot twice making the image a little off more often than not. Where on the other hand an eclectic one would come down and stop at the same spot every time keeping perfect image alignment.

I like the idea of the tabbed screen but a little expensive would rather invest more on a projector now then a year or so from now upgrade to one of those.

I will look at the Epson 8350 and the 5010 next.

Thanks
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector , Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h421020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page