HC8000D-BL or HC7900DW and which screen gain? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2013, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there.

Here is my situation. I spent a long time looking at projectors and the one I really want to get is the Mitsubishi HC8000D-BL.

The quality of it sounds superb and more importantly all the settings on it sound ideal for me. I'm really fussy about framerates and whatnot and the settings on this sound ideal to make the picture perfectly suited for the way I like it.

Here is the situation though. My room is not ideal. I have quite thick curtains and at night the room is pretty pitch black (I can't walk about without a light on, can't see), the walls are white by the way.. However during the day when I wake up, from light spilling out the side of the curtains I can see fine to wonder about, I don't need a light on to find my way around, it's just a bit dull.. (I need to verify this as I've been away from home working for a few weeks and I forget, haha. But I think that's right).

Now, I've heard the best type of screen to get for a room that isn't perfectly dark is 0.9 gain (grey). Firstly it's hard to come by these, especially decent quality ones and secondly is this still relevent for modern day projectors which are really bright with great contrast?

Ideally I would like a grey da-lite tensioned screen, of maybe 100" or a bit more (i'll need to go home and measure my room).
It's quite hard to find this in the UK though.

I will probably be getting the projector imported from the states to the UK as it's not sold in Europe so I want to get the right one first time.. I heard that the HC8000D's extra contrast is not really worth it unless you have an ultra-dark room and the light level is a lot lower than the HC7900DW because of it's extra irises (four instead of two). Can you turn two of them off to make it the same brightness as the 7900? I don't want to be losing brightness.

Will the grey screen be enough to increase the contrast to a good level?

Basically my choices are

79000 + white screen
79000 + grey screen
8000 + white screen
8000 + grey screen

Which do you think would be most suitable and why?

Cheers

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

okay. that quesiton was a bit rambly I guess.

So I guess to word it another way.

If you do not have ideal lighting, but a relatively dark room and you had to choose between too similar projectors. Would you go for the one with that was slightly brighter or the one with slightly better contrast (plus other benifits cos it's a slightly better model) and would you use a grey or white screen for it.

thanks
Old 08-06-2013, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry but..... *bump

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector
Gear in this thread