Help for a noob who's done some research - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-30-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I've been lurking on here for a couple months and closing on my house is coming up pretty soon. I just want to get some opinions from the pros and see if what I'm planning will work out.

I'm finishing my basement and would like to get everything set before I finish it. I'm thinking a BenQ 1070 or 1080st if the $105 increase in price can justify it. That's for you guys to throw out there I'm not sure. There will not be much lighting down there besides the dome lights I put in on a dimmer, so light seeping through is not a concern, it can be pitch black if needed or dimmed to what I need.

The ceiling will be finished at 7' tall. I think a 120" will work out well for me. It will leave 16" from floor to bottom of the screen and 11" from ceiling to top of screen. The throw is est. at 11'4" which will be fine considering the basement will be about 13' 4" wide. So it will be 2 feet from the wall, about parallel where the heads of the viewers will be on the couch. It all seems to work well for me, the calculator I used was http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/ recommends 3" pole length on the mount. I assume that means just get it mounted 3" from the ceiling to flush with the projector, not the lens.

I plan on going with one of the DIY screens from Carls screens. I'm going to make a black frame with 1/4" plywood behind painted white, then put the black felt and the matte on it ( I haven't 100% figured out how to make the matte stationary to the plywood, an adhesive or something, not sure need help there.

But all in all that's my plans, it will be for about 70% movies/football, and 30% gaming or maybe 60/40.

How does this all sound??? Anything I missed?

Thanks for reading this I hope to hear some input. I'm pretty excited about this project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-31-2013, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Aw no one ?? frown.gif
post #3 of 14 Old 07-31-2013, 08:53 PM

Sounds good to me. You don't need the short throw of the 1080st. The W1070 will work better in your situation and is a little cheaper. I have one throwing a 110 inch screen with seating about 9 feet away. I'm very satisfied with it. Not sure about your screen setup so I can't comment on that. I'd mount your projector as close to the ceiling as possible with such low ceilings. Some mounts are true flush mounts and some drop the projector at least a few inches at minimum.

Best of luck. I think you'll enjoy it greatly.
post #4 of 14 Old 08-01-2013, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome, just the assurance I needed! I really think I've reached the point where I've done enough research to make this project my bitch wink.gif
post #5 of 14 Old 08-03-2013, 12:08 AM

Liked: 13
I'd backlight your screen but it sounds like its going directly on the wall. It looks cool and doesn't affect your screen. Also consider spotlights (down) or in ceiling cans. Under table lighting. Some lighting is necessary to bring down the "weird guy" factor when people come over.
I'd also run extra wires to it even if they sit in the walls for a few years. You can't really hook up a new Xbox directly to the projector mounted on the cieling right? Also surround sound too obviously. Check with an electrician and an av guy on how close they can be to each other. I always run 4 extra cat5 lines because its so versatile. (Audio/video adapters). Use cat 5/6 hard wired for any video streaming (apple tv, roku, home theater pc...). The first time you see a spinning, buffering logo pops up. You need it to be futureproofed to 4K . Bandwidth will only go up.

If your buying a new projector, buy more lumens than you will use. Running it in "Eco Mode" makes your bulb last 20-40% longer and reduces noise and heat.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-04-2013, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome advice! I feel like I should back light it, is there a certain light most people use? Maybe one with different color settings? I wouldn't mind putting them in the cabinet either to where I can change the color and the whole unit changes, that would be cool. I'm also doing can lights in the whole basement, I was going to put two above the screen on a separate switch.

As for surround sound, I already have a nice 5.1 onkyo receiver, polk speakers, 2 dayton subs going down there. I will run 2 runs of wire for each speaker just in case. I plan on running 2 extra HDMI cables to the projector also in case one goes bad since they're cheap enough.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-05-2013, 09:40 PM

A few different ways. Low tech would be led Christmas lights . The next step up would be smd led lights. The smd 5050 lights are nice because they are so bright and can be dimmed super low too. eBay for around $25 for 3m(16ft). They come with a color remote and you can pick and mix and set any color you want. I keep everything red. Easy on the eyes. The next step up might be ikea has some nice strips too. Then iphone/android controlled if you want to get super fancy.
Just make the lights so you can't see them. Too distracting. Also if you have a learning remote most of these have remotes. You might also want to get a better "controller". But it's a place to start.

If your buying a new projector, buy more lumens than you will use. Running it in "Eco Mode" makes your bulb last 20-40% longer and reduces noise and heat.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Your low ceiling rules out the Optoma projectors which have offset. Or if you did decide to go with the Optoma's, you may end up with a smaller screen to account for the offset. I mention the Optoma's because they are in the same price range as the W1070. With that said, get a projector with zero offset. Your initial choice with the BenQ W1070 is a good choice, there are some drawbacks with that projector, but in your situation with your low ceiling, the vertical lens shift will likely prove valuable for you. And though the W1070 may be the best value choice for you considering your room constraints, but I would recommend the W1080st. The reason being is the W1080st's short throw will allow you to position the projector further away from your viewing position, decreasing the impact of the fan noise. In a hush basement environment were all other sounds will be muted, hearing the whine of the fan is going to irk you tremendously.

HTPC: Intel NUC (DC53427HYE) running OpenELEC/Win7 Dual Boot
Projector: Optoma HD131Xe
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR809
Screen: Elite Spectrum Electric 125"
Media Server: NAS4Free Core 2 Quad 2.40GHz
post #9 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Are they really that loud? And I'm worried that if I go with the 1080 that it will be in the center of my basement and some one will hit their head on it.

With that being said how is the picture quality compared to the 1070?
post #10 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 AM

The W1070 shows 33db on full and 30db on eco mode. Thats pretty quiet for a projector. If your watching an action movie it's not noticeable. Watching guys putt on golf? Somewhat noticeable.
A few factors with noise. The closer to your head, the more you'll notice it. It's something you tune out and can't hear very often. It's like when your wife tells you to quit looking at projectors online. You tune it out.

post #11 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Ahh yeah I gotcha. My tv is fairly loud even when I watch golf. I don't think it'll be noticeable

What do you think would be better? Having it mounted above the couch or basically split distance between the couch and the screen? I figured above the couch no one will hit it with their head but what about people walking in front of it?
post #12 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 12:27 PM

If you don't plan on moving it, the ceiling mount (upside down) would be the best by far. Out of the way, less heat, less sound. Especially if your doing new construction or at least have access to the wall and ceiling. I'd run extra wires in there too. Even if they sit in the wall for a year. You usually have one shot at it while its open.

post #13 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I plan on doing a ceiling mount. Are they easy to get in the way of?

Also since cables are so cheap I'm running 2x the HDMI, and running 2 DVI then even though I don't have any plans on using it, I'll run the standard audio/video cables.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 06:55 PM

In that room, at that height? Yeah. Don't stare into the light.
I'd add 2 cat6 cables. Very versatle. You can use them for lots of things- audio or video with adapters.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Benq W1080st 1080p 3d Short Throw Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - W1080st by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page